Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

23 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The mood swings in this thread are every bit as bad as my wife's when she went through, well you know what, but don't tell her I said that.

I watch my 6 year old daughter's mood change 3 times as she walks across the room.  This thread is similar but I don't have to duck for cover

1 minute ago, brandct said:

He is in his 60s. He has never coached in the NCAA. He has never recruited. We do not know how his coaching would translate to college because in the NBA you are dealing with the top 1% not trying to find the top 1%. Kids today would have no clue who he was when he played in college or the NBA. I just think he would be very underwhelming.

I totally get what you are saying, and I can't honestly say I disagree. I will say there have been many successful college coaches who don't succeed in the NBA. Also, none of what we think really matters. What matters is if whoever they hire is successful. We can think all the terrible things we want about why the coach was hired, but at the end of the day, if he wins no one will care.

Just now, bigrod said:

I totally get what you are saying, and I can't honestly say I disagree. I will say there have been many successful college coaches who don't succeed in the NBA. Also, none of what we think really matters. What matters is if whoever they hire is successful. We can think all the terrible things we want about why the coach was hired, but at the end of the day, if he wins no one will care.

You are correct, but you could be putting him in a very touchy situation. Could you imagine what the look would be if IU fans turned on an IU legend. It is one thing to turn on Crean, and Archie it is something totally different to turn on someone who is a legend at the school.

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Yes. But in fairness the iu guy camp hasn't gotten their chance yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kind of have- the IU guys are failing everywhere else to spare us from having to watch them fail at IU. 

Ok, that is an overstatement, but still can anybody honestly say any of the "IU guys" are the best coaches around? If so then I don't know what else to say, we see the world differently. I want the best we can get and there are no IU alums on that list until about....#36. 

This is the hire that will absolutely define Scott Dolson's career.  We just paid a $10M buyout.  He's not going with some crazy outside the box hire like Woodson, Cheaney, or Fife.  If it goes bad which it probably would his career would be completely finished.  He's going to hire a proven winner with P5 experience.   Stop this crazy talk.  Half the fan base would tune out from day 1 or be rooting for us to lose if he made a hire like that.  Dolson is not dumb.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We offered and he failed the physical

Would a college coaching hire normally have to pass a physical -- or was it in this case a condition of his employment? Or would that even be legal? Not trying to dispute your info, I just have no idea how this works? 

And if he was offered, I would assume that means he was interested? 

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

This is the hire that will absolutely define Scott Dolson's career.  We just paid a $10M buyout.  He's not going with some crazy outside the box hire like Woodson, Cheaney, or Fife.  If it goes bad which it probably would his career would be completely finished.  He's going to hire a proven winner with P5 experience.   Stop this crazy talk.  Half the fan base would tune out from day 1 or be rooting for us to lose if he made a hire like that.  Dolson is not dumb.

This is my thought as well. I'd give Woodson and Cheaney a chance, but eh, I'm not sure. 

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Kind of have- the IU guys are failing everywhere else to spare us from having to watch them fail at IU. 

Ok, that is an overstatement, but still can anybody honestly say any of the "IU guys" are the best coaches around? If so then I don't know what else to say, we see the world differently. I want the best we can get and there are no IU alums on that list until about....#36. 

I like parts of your post a lot.

See if I can modify it a little:

Local connections and dedication to the university are relevant, but most definitely not nearly enough to overcome mediocrity as a leader of young men or as a coach.

Alford? My last choice of all the names I've heard.

Woodson? Bingo.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Wow, not only are you a little inaccurate (i.e. ALL CAPS WITH THE WRONG AGE) but there are some crap skewed takes in there:

"Not even a winning percentage as a head coach in the NBA playoffs." lol

Here's what he did as an NBA head coach; he took awful teams and got them WAY better:

Between 2008-09 and 2013-14, Woodson accumulated a record of 209-143 as head coach—a win percentage of .594. He led the Atlanta Hawks to three postseason appearances, including a 50-win season in 2009-10 and two playoff series victories.

Yes, it's true that he hasn't been in the college game; I believe it will be necessary for him to have a young, college game grinder on staff.

Otherwise, this would be a guy that would be a pleasure to root for. Would it work? Beats me, but maybe.

Oh please, a percentage is a percentage. Tom Crean turned around Indiana but let's be honest, he couldn't coach a middle school team to a city championship, especially if the opposing teams ran a Zone. Players loved him and talk great about him in interviews? Yeah a lot of players do that, it's really nothing new. We shouldn't hire someone because Carmelo Anthony likes him. 

His name is constantly brought up in the NBA head coaching searches but he can never land a job. There has to be a reason for that and I truly believe it's because he hasn't impressed as a HEAD coach. Current NBA teams are not hiring him to be the head coach and yet Indiana should hire him because he played at Indiana? He barely won with the best players in the world and now we're expecting him to win with generally worse players? YIKES! 

His resume doesn't stick out at all.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Would a college coaching hire normally have to pass a physical -- or was it in this case a condition of his employment? Or would that even be legal? Not trying to dispute your info, I just have no idea how this works? 

If the ability to perform certain physical acts are part of the job description then a physical is legal.  For instance, ability to climb a tower to maintain or install equipment.  Or the ability to show players how to shoot/defend or perform physical acts.  Also there may be pre-existing conditions that would make the coach ineligible for a specific health insurance coverage which would be required.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

It's more than that however. Arkansas is very much a basketball school. They love their basketball down there. Have you been to their arena down there? It's super nice! 

The boosters have money. As AZ mentioned, they have Walmart money. Arkansas hasn't seen this amount of success in a while. They're not going to let Mussleman walk away. Frankly, Mussleman loves it there. The idea of coaches coming to Indiana because it's "Indiana" is blown out of proportion. We never would've hired CTC or Archie if "Indiana" is indeed a name you can't refuse. 

If that is all true- and I agree it mostly is- why doesn't Brad Stevens coach in Fayetteville? Why isn't Musselman getting $6mil already?

Also the Walton money hasn't impacted the floundering football program the last 10yrs. Arkansas is a solid program, but it's not top-tier. No idea if Mussleman is interested, but I don't buy Arkansas is paradise either. 

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I didn't get that info. But I did get my info from someone who interviewed yesterday. But didn't feel like it was a real interview

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I didn't get that info. But I did get my info from someone who interviewed yesterday. But didn't feel like it was a real interview

This would be a person (and his wife) that we didn't think would be interested?