Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

59 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Doesn’t surprise me how a few BB posters are acting negative toward you. I wasn’t expecting this on here....

From one HSN member to another, I have faith in you. Look, ...you win some you lose some. 

DoctorP just joined our ranks a couple of hours ago. Take it for what it's worth!

I was thinking about this hiring an old vet with an AHC/HC in waiting. Is there an example of this when the old vet was hired at the same time as his heir apparent? To me it would be a tricky situation unless both the HC and AD were on the same page to whom that should be. Otherwise you're taking some control/power from one or the other. HC's want to hire their own staff and especially their #2, rightfully so, and AD's want to hire the candidate that they want for the future as opposed to what that vet HC wants (also rightfully so). Just wondering how that would even be negotiated in a new hire and who would be more likely to fold on what they want? To me unless you're both on the same page going in it could end up being a real problem for synergy. Anyhow anyone have an example of this happening in this way before?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Capt. Crimson said:

That reminds me... what happened to the fortune teller?@clairvoyanthoosier

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The spirits are in turmoil as the Dolson of Scott is being haunted by ghosts of Hoosiers past. Can he escape their clutches or will he succumb to their ludacris demands. My crystal ball is cloudy but I do see strikes through the Drew of Scott and poor hobbled Gargamel. Also bearded lady sits waiting for a call. 

5 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

C'mon, guys... the name is ISIAH. It's not that hard to remember... there are only 5 banners, and he brought one of 'em.

Lol. Go back and look at the post I quoted and then decide if I was being serious.  :103:

6 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I was thinking about this hiring an old vet with an AHC/HC in waiting. Is there an example of this when the old vet was hired at the same time as his heir apparent? To me it would be a tricky situation unless both the HC and AD were on the same page to whom that should be. Otherwise you're taking some control/power from one or the other. HC's want to hire their own staff and especially their #2, rightfully so, and AD's want to hire the candidate that they want for the future as opposed to what that vet HC wants (also rightfully so). Just wondering how that would even be negotiated in a new hire and who would be more likely to fold on what they want? To me unless you're both on the same page going in it could end up being a real problem for synergy. Anyhow anyone have an example of this happening in this way before?

Bob and Patrick Knight at Texas Tech

Edited by IUFLA

Bob and Patrick Knight at Texas Tech
Was it predetermined for that to happen? Even if it were it didn't go well. That's kind of what worries me if we go the Beilein route. I'm totally fine with Beilein stand alone for 5-8 years but not so confident with what happens after that.

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’d be ecstatic. He checks all my boxes. 

Successful at more than one school. Didn’t need a once in the generation talent and knows how to build through transfers.  And unlike Crean and Archie in their combined 30+ years of coaching, Musselman has actually won a conference tourney. 

Archie Miller was fired about ten days ago.  It took AD Glass ten days after TC was let go to announce the AM hire.  Not really knowing if or how many feelers were put out at that time and this time...the coach selection clock starts now.  

I like skimming these posts.  I appreciate those that try to give information they deem relevant (ie 0708 and Chris etc.).  Really enjoy the discussions on coach qualifications and basketball trends.  IU goals and AD goals are fun to parse.  My favorite posts recently involved K Lander's where he said something like: happiness is coming.  That was interpreted to mean something about a coach...maybe Cheaney.  The next day it is alleged to have been about an upcoming spring break trip to Florida. 

I was and am an RMK fan.  I cringed at his antics.  I appreciated his abilities to get the most out of players as a team.  I miss his wins and intensity and competition in the B1G back in the days. I do not miss his dark side.  Many knew how to set him up so that he would go off.  His unwillingness to hold back and not respond and IU's unwillingness/inability to handle that set RMK up.  So here we are today.  Still picking up pieces of that mess.

I did get to see Mike Davis' team in Rupp Arena upsetting Duke in '02.  Had mixed feelings about his hire. Was really sad to see he who must not be named and the aftermath  of cellphonegate. He is a great coach but I cannot understand why IU did not monitor closely and catch him early...so that the rest of that did not have to have happened.  And the T Crean hire was upsetting because of his lack of focus on team and defense.  Archie Miller was a crapshoot but he had been excellent over here in Dayton.  

Those hires took time to get done.   Give this one a lot of time.  It has to be done right.

Do work in the garden.  Read books.  Art and music and volunteering are great outlets.  Then support IU when they roll out the red carpet for the new coach...may be 20 days from now. And save the red carpet.  It can be repurposed as NC banners.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Outcome #1:  We hire an IU guy; he's wildly successful and the IU guy camp screams and shouts we should have done this when we hired Crean.

Outcome #2:  We hire an outsider; he's wildly successful and the need an IU guy mantra fades into memory.

Outcome #3:  We hire an IU guy; he flops badly and the need an IU guy mantra fades into memory.

Outcome #4:  We hire an outsider; he flops badly and the IU guy camp screams and shouts we need an IU guy.

Pretty much sums it up doesn't it?

My goodness, 555 pages all summed up into this? Perfect!

10 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Like it or not a University’s primary mission is to graduate students with degrees.  The vast majority of athletes get degrees and regular jobs when they are done.  Parents also want their kids to get degrees — it’s part of the recruiting process.  A head coach without a degree is a bad look. 

Their primary mission is to make money. 

Outcome #1:  We hire an IU guy; he's wildly successful and the IU guy camp screams and shouts we should have done this when we hired Crean.
Outcome #2:  We hire an outsider; he's wildly successful and the need an IU guy mantra fades into memory.
Outcome #3:  We hire an IU guy; he flops badly and the need an IU guy mantra fades into memory.
Outcome #4:  We hire an outsider; he flops badly and the IU guy camp screams and shouts we need an IU guy.
Yes. But in fairness the iu guy camp hasn't gotten their chance yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not a bad summary.   But, there may be more options available:

#5:  IU hires an IU guy that has been an outsider and he either flops or succeeds...(ie. Fife);

#6:  IU hires one or the other and he is up and down and barely hangs on but no NC banner...

#7.  IU hires an IU guy for 4 years with an outsider as the heir apparent who takes over;

#8.  IU hires an outsider for 4 years and and IU guy takes over;

#9.  IU hires Brad Stevens and he either is successful or fails;

#10. IU wins the NC in football and fans forget about IU basketball;

#11. IU hires Dan Dakich and he tells us what he should have done and doesn't pull punches;

#12. IU hires Steve Alford and he doesn't hang the banner and because of his legacy IU cannot fire him;

#13.  IU rehires he who must not be named and IU hangs banners;

#14.  IU has an interim coach for 4 years;

#15.  IU leaves the B1G and goes to the MVC and Notre Dame joins the B1G.

8 hours ago, Iubravos said:

If indiana basketball can't pry a coach away from Arkansas when we're offering 6-7 mil then I'll see myself out. 

It's more than that however. Arkansas is very much a basketball school. They love their basketball down there. Have you been to their arena down there? It's super nice! 

The boosters have money. As AZ mentioned, they have Walmart money. Arkansas hasn't seen this amount of success in a while. They're not going to let Mussleman walk away. Frankly, Mussleman loves it there. The idea of coaches coming to Indiana because it's "Indiana" is blown out of proportion. We never would've hired CTC or Archie if "Indiana" is indeed a name you can't refuse. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

It's more than that however. Arkansas is very much a basketball school. They love their basketball down there. Have you been to their arena down there? It's super nice! 

The boosters have money. As AZ mentioned, they have Walmart money. Arkansas hasn't seen this amount of success in a while. They're not going to let Mussleman walk away. Frankly, Mussleman loves it there. The idea of coaches coming to Indiana because it's "Indiana" is blown out of proportion. We never would've hired CTC or Archie if "Indiana" is indeed a name you can't refuse. 

I'm not sure anyone else would have taken the job when Crean did. The problem is, we should have fired after season 3 and hired Stevens hired Stevens after his 2nd trip to a title game. Still would have gotten Zeller which means we would have still gotten Yogi.