Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Can't really say that yet... they haven't hired anyone... can't believe anyone wanted Archie to stay for another minute longer... and he will get a job before the full $10M is paid out, so just stop with that crap already...

Just like Thad got another job. Oh wait right he’s “healthy”. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Jason Kidd, Ty Lue, Jerry Stackhouse, Magic Johnson off the top of my head. I guess none of them are qualified though because they didn't take classes from someone who's never coached a day for a major sports league in their lives...

We are talking about college coaches. Not NBA coaches.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Most jobs don't need degrees. Just training. You don't need a degree to coach basketball. Plain and simple. Just crappy ways to get a lot of money by schools. 

Well, IF the job requirements say you do need it, and don't have it, good luck getting the gig. Who cares if it makes sense to you or me... it matters to them, and therefore, you need it. 

I suppose you could start your own university and do it the way that makes sense to you...

2 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

Stackhouse recently completed an executive education program at the Harvard centered on sports business. Turner has a law degree and MBA from Harvard. Stackhouse also graduated from the University of North Carolina, which is where Turner completed his undergraduate degree.Apr 1, 2019

I've already removed him from my list but I am still not grasping why coaching in the NBA requires different standards and qualifications than coaching in college?

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I have never heard of a head basketball coach teaching classes at a major university. That is definitely not part of the job description.

Knight did at IU for a number of years... basketball theory or something along those lines.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Well, IF the job requirements say you do need it, and don't have it, good luck getting the gig. Who cares if it makes sense to you or me... it matters to them, and therefore, you need it. 

I suppose you could start your own university and do it the way that makes sense to you...

I mean sure, no one is denying it matters. I'm just saying its dumb. 

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Again WHY is the qualification to coach in the NBA different than coaching in college? It's the exact same job.

Probably the fake amateurism of college ball.

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Again WHY is the qualification to coach in the NBA different than coaching in college? It's the exact same job.

I assume because they are college kids and in a sense, the coach is "teaching"  them..

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I've already removed him from my list but I am still not grasping why coaching in the NBA requires different standards and qualifications than coaching in college?

The NBA teams are professional sports franchises.  Colleges are SCHOOLS.  Each have their own standards for hiring.

So why is this even a topic?  School coaches have degrees.  School coaches teach a few classes.  Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with this, it has no impact on the search for a new coach at IU.  That is just the way it is, but it has no impact on what is going on in Bloomington.  So let's just move on.  We are arguing over nothing.

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, the quote of the day was that "Texas poops money"... implying that there would be virtually no limit to what they would do to get him... and Texas is reported to be his "dream job"...

On the other hand, Stevens' dream job (at one time) was IU... and we were unable to get him in 2017 and in 2021... so maybe Beard comes to IU and finds true happiness and a long, successful tenure here... so much so that he forgets his "dream job" the same way BS did.

Hire him. In a couple of years let Texas "poop" a bunch of money IU's way. Make a "poop sandwich" and offer it to that "Masshole" in Boston? Everything works out for a reason! 

Coaches in College have more responsibilities than just being an in-game coach that's why degrees are prefered and as you go to the lower levels you are more likely to be also teaching and managing other things.