Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Nonymouse said:

The scheduled flight from White Plains (where Woodson lives) to Bloomington never took off. Still scheduled though. Weird.  

Very curious to see if it takes off after the game tonight if Woodson coaches.... Or did you mean never left from Bloomington

45 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Most jobs don't need degrees. Just training. You don't need a degree to coach basketball. Plain and simple. Just crappy ways to get a lot of money by schools. 

I believe that the head coach at IU and other institutions are expected to teach a few courses.  That would require a degree.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What worked at IU was having one of the best college coaches of all-time leading the program for three decades. I honestly don't know what the "IU way" even means or why it would require hiring an IU guy to get. IU guys aren't the only coaches out there who could get players to play the way we want them to play.

I think what most people that want a IU guy are trying to say is that they came through the program when it was a winner and think that they have emotional attachment to the program and maybe more invested in it to try to get it back there. Kinda like if you opened up a store and grew it up real nice and handed it off to your buddy to run and it started to go down hill, don’t you think you would be able to go back and get it going again?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I have never heard of a head basketball coach teaching classes at a major university. That is definitely not part of the job description.

Know that Knight taught classes, usually how to be a coach or Xs and Os type classes.  Know this is dating me be when I was at IU I had a PE class taught by Lou Watson, who was the IU coach at the time.  It is all part of being part of the faculty.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Very curious to see if it takes off after the game tonight if Woodson coaches.... Or did you mean never left from Bloomington

It’s scheduled to go from  NY to Bloomington and never left. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I have never heard of a head basketball coach teaching classes at a major university. That is definitely not part of the job description.

At IU it is part of the job. I used to know a girl who had Jerry Yeagley as a prof.

I’m not sure if this is a thing anymore because I’ve never heard of a coach teaching classes but all of those guys were before my time.

That being said, then being basketball coaches qualifies them to teach classes about coaching. I don’t think a college degree does that lol

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

What difference does it make?  Every coach we are interested in have at least a bachelors degree.

2 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

What difference does it make?  Every coach we are interested in have at least a bachelors degree.

It’s not about any specific candidate, it’s more about how absolute nonsensical it is to think having a bachelors degree makes you more qualified to be a basketball coach than someone who doesn’t. There are plenty of good coaches who’ve been around the game for 30 years and don’t have one. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I’m not sure if this is a thing anymore because I’ve never heard of a coach teaching classes but all of those guys were before my time.

That being said, then being basketball coaches qualifies them to teach classes about coaching. I don’t think a college degree does that lol

Maybe you've never heard of it, but it is.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

It’s not about any specific candidate, it’s more about how absolute nonsensical it is to think having a bachelors degree makes you more qualified to be a basketball coach than someone who doesn’t. There are plenty of good coaches who’ve been around the game for 30 years and don’t have one. 

Name three.

4 minutes ago, T White said:

Name three.

Jason Kidd, Ty Lue, Jerry Stackhouse, Magic Johnson off the top of my head. I guess none of them are qualified though because they didn't take classes from someone who's never coached a day for a major sports league in their lives...