Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Does anyone think the Altman rumor of being interested is remotely based in reality? Full disclosure, I knew very little about him, but after some research that would be a no brainer. He has gotten better and better since he started coaching, and his worst season at Oregon, his first, they still won the CBI. Now say what you will about the CBI, but getting a high major team up for a tournament like that regardless of opponent to me, is a sure sign of a good coach and motivator. His last 8 seasons have been as good as basically any coach in the country. I get we are being ageist now, but he isn't that old, and has some midwestern ties.  Grab a coach like that, and staff it out with some "IU" guys and I think we are really making moves.

He's using IU for more Nike $ in my opinion. Whether just an increase in his own salary or an increase in his own salary plus a higher player pay rolll, I'm not sure. 

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

Of course no one knows who will or won't be successful. If someone does, PM me please - I'd love some powerball numbers. 

The issue with the whole IU guy conversation is it isn't rational. The ONLY reason those guys are being talked about is because they went to IU. That isn't enough to be the head coach here - especially when you have zero head coaching experience. It would be a risk and right now, we need to hire someone who will give us the best chance at winning and the argument for an IU guy (given the current IU guys in the convo) is just so, so weak. 

Why isn't Calbert, Woodson, Fife, etc being considered for other big time jobs? Probably because outside of IU fans, no one knows who they are. 

Woodson is a little unfair to put into that group. He’s had jobs literally bigger than being the IU head coach before.

not to say Woodson is my number one option, but comparing him to Fife of Cheaney is silly.

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Seriously? Sounds a lot like the Bob Knight conundrum... he was melting down at every turn, punching cops and throwing LSU fans in trash cans all while demanding that the players toe the line... If you want respect,  you have to show respect. If you expect disciplined players, the coach has to be disciplined... going through the process of earning a college degree is not difficult, but it does require some discipline.... It says that you submitted yourself to the process and, some would say, rigors of doing the work to earn something.

My wife is an admin at a local D-1 college... she needed a degree to get that job. Any monkey can type on a keyboard with/without a degree... but it shows that she submitted herself to something and followed it through to completion. It speaks volumes about character and commitment. It's not "just stupid standards for no reason".

Most jobs don't need degrees. Just training. You don't need a degree to coach basketball. Plain and simple. Just crappy ways to get a lot of money by schools. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Would you take a job if you were told that a condition of the job is that you hire 'x' and 'y' with no previous experience in working with them?  I think your candidate pool just gets smaller if that's Dolson's pitch and I really don't think it is.

I didn't mean it in the sense of Dolson demanding an IU cat be hired. It is pretty common for guys to staff out a new location with local coaching talent, particularly for recruiting. It would stand to reason if Altman was actually interested, he would have no problem reaching out to some IU people to fill the staff. I was more concerned of whether or not it was simply a raise grab for him, or someone might have some insights to show he really is interested.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because we know what has worked at IU and what it took to win here.  we have seen what going away from the IU way has done the last 20 years and it has not worked.

What worked at IU was having one of the best college coaches of all-time leading the program for three decades. I honestly don't know what the "IU way" even means or why it would require hiring an IU guy to get. IU guys aren't the only coaches out there who could get players to play the way we want them to play.

38 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

If we're afraid to lose Beard to Texas then that's pathetic.

$6M at a basketball school with our following has to be an intriguing challenge for him.  

Texas athletic department has more money in their budget than any college in the country.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Woodson is a little unfair to put into that group. He’s had jobs literally bigger than being the IU head coach before.

not to say Woodson is my number one option, but comparing him to Fife of Cheaney is silly.

You're absolutely right. If we go that route, Woodson would be #1 on my list. 

4 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Of course no one knows who will or won't be successful. If someone does, PM me please - I'd love some powerball numbers. 

The issue with the whole IU guy conversation is it isn't rational. The ONLY reason those guys are being talked about is because they went to IU. That isn't enough to be the head coach here - especially when you have zero head coaching experience. It would be a risk and right now, we need to hire someone who will give us the best chance at winning and the argument for an IU guy (given the current IU guys in the convo) is just so, so weak. 

Why isn't Calbert, Woodson, Fife, etc being considered for other big time jobs? Probably because outside of IU fans, no one knows who they are. I do not understand why people think they're mediocre coaching record (if they even have one as a HC) will all of a sudden change when they get back to Bloomington.

Fife turned down an Atlantic 10 job four years ago.  Likely has gotten some consideration for power 5 jobs by now.

17 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Fife turned down an Atlantic 10 job four years ago.  Likely has gotten some consideration for power 5 jobs by now.

You might be right but the undeniable fact is he's still an assistant coach and is not to our knowledge ever in the conversation for a hc job at a school like IU. 

But hey - he went to IU so let's take a chance, right? I just don't understand that logic. I'd rather Dolson risk overpaying a proven coach to get him here than hiring a coach with no experience. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Texas athletic department has more money in their budget than any college in the country.

As Rabjohns said on JMV today, UT poops money!

Because we know what has worked at IU and what it took to win here.  we have seen what going away from the IU way has done the last 20 years and it has not worked.

We have never had an “IU guy” I get tired of hearing this weak take. Knight was not an IU guy and his style of play has come and gone. The closest thing we had was Mike Davis, who knew what had been done at IU, and they didn’t pan out too well.

We don’t need an IU guys or a this type of guy. We just need a guy who can win. I don’t care who he is or what style he prefers as long as he wins. Someone that can adapt, not all coaching styles work in every league or every division. He has to be able to adapt and be able to see what will work and execute that game plan and get his players to buy in and execute that game plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has officially started to resemble this scene.
"So you want a young coach who could be here 25 years, but who's already had years of tournament success at a major P5 program, who runs a clean program and graduates players but is also willing to play in the gray area, who has NBA connections but also knows every Indiana high school coach, but doesn't JUST recruit Indiana, and who also - and this is crucial - somehow both is and isn't a former IU player?"
Us: "Yeah!"

.......I mean.......Bradley Stevens meets (or will meet) most of these conditions. Ugh!

25 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Not at all.  Beard’s dream job is Texas and they have money to burn.  

There will be pros and cons for every candidate in every coaching search. But is it normal to feel like every single candidate has a HUGE caveat? Beard could leave at any time for Texas, Musselman could leave any time for the NBA, Beilein - age and the thugs comment, Matta has massive health concerns, Drew wanted to deport a former player of ours, Altman has character concerns, Alford isn't very good at coaching. 

It's still Oats at the top of the list for me. The biggest caveat I can think of for him is that he seems like the least likely candidate for us to approach, for reasons that I couldn't even begin to explain (the $12M buyout should not be an issue with the $$ we were planning on throwing at Stevens).