Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Can someone explain to me how Calbert is a better candidate than Woodson?  Other than being a better college player, their resumes aren't even close.  Woodson steadily improved the Hawks for 6 straight years, and coached the Knicks to their best season in 20 years... both as a head coach.  Woodson is pretty far down on my list, but I don't understand what Cheaney offers at all.

Just now, moyemayhem said:

Can someone explain to me how Calbert is a better candidate than Woodson?  Other than being a better college player, their resumes aren't even close.  Woodson steadily improved the Hawks for 6 straight years, and coached the Knicks to their best season in 20 years... both as a head coach.  Woodson is pretty far down on my list, but I don't understand what Cheaney offers at all.

Younger I guess. Neither of them should be candidates in my opinion. I'd be extremely disappointed in both. 

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't want to hire somebody who has never been a head coach before.  Hard pass.

I've been of the same thinking for some time, until my confidence in the candidates (again, we know nothing...just a feeling) has started to shrink. 

If we are down to our 4th, 5th, 6th choice, I am absolutely okay with taking a flyer on someone like Calbert. Having head coaching experience isn't a fool proof indicator a coach will have success, see Archie Miller. Outside of Stevens, Beard, Drew...no one really gets me excited. Musselman is having a good run, but I think his personality would run its course quickly with staff, fans, etc. Oates isn't coming. 

I feel like todays basketball landscape is shifting towards players coaches, with solid assistant staff makeup that can help with the short falls the head coach may have. Calbert is a coach that can relate to these kids, and from all accounts he was loved by the guys at Indiana when he was here. 

I'm not saying Calbert is the answer, but if we are taking a flyer on a guy solely because he has been a "Head Coach", I'd rather try something different this go round.

Although, I do think we go Beilein with fife, mike lewis, calbert in the waiting if we can't get a big fish. If Beilien says no, see above. 

2 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

Recruiting is the main thing I think people give him a lot of credit for. Lacks HC experience but has seemed to be a more successful team builder than Woodson. 

BINGO!!

Hell, if we’re looking at Woodson or Calbert id rather have Lewis.

-2 year graduate coach under knight
-5 years at Butler worked under Brad Stevens, Holtmann, and Brandon Miller
-Served as OC at Nebraska who saw their highest scoring average in 22 years
-Now at UCLA

Rather take a risk on that than either of the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

He's a nice guy.  The Indiana Administration wants that unicorn coach.  Wins but has no flaws at all.  Woodson is reportedly a meanie.

11 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

He’s not. Calbert would be a wonderful addition to our next coach’s staff, and I hope our next coach tries getting him. But you can’t make him the head coach. Woodson has a much better coaching resume than him. He’s been a coach in the NBA for the past 25 years.

22 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

He could recruit successfully in Indiana (especially the southern half), but I don't see how he'd have any chops out of state.  Part of our problem recently has been woeful out of state recruiting.

we have woeful out of state recruiting because we suck.  Gotta win first.  Then the recruits will line up.    

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

This thread has gone from:

"ONLY BRAD STEVENS WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH!"

to

""Sigh...Woodson and Lewis are starting to sound good to me."

Maybe this is Dolson's plan. You swing and missed on Stevens.  Everyone is now upset.  Trot out ridiculous names like Cheaney and Woodson so that when you announce Beard or Drew as the next coach everyone breaths a giant sigh of relief and is elated.  I really think that's what's happening.  Pure genius on Dolson's part.