Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

53 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Well the NBA has changed to race and space. Teams want to play fast and everyone should be able to shoot the 3 and make it -- at all positions.

My argument -- The last time he was a head coach, the NBA wasn't race and space. They had centers who couldn't shoot, they have teams taking mid-range jumpers, etc.  

Maybe he could adapt, maybe Dane Fife could win a banner here, maybe Brad Stevens is coming tonight. No one knows anything. If Mike Woodson never played at Indiana then he really should not be a candidate. He hasn't done anything to stand out as a head coach for Indiana University. 

Thanks for explaining.  Very much appreciate it. 

In my experience in every team sport, the style of game is always changing.  Wait a few years and the style of basketball played while Woodson was a head coach will be the 'new' style.  Typically what forces these changes is how the defense adjusted to all the 'new' craze or personnel/players playing the game.  I've always thought there are two types of coaches.  The one that is able to adjust and make a career of coaching and one that was once a coach but isn't a coach anymore because he/she was too stubborn to adjust. 

I will say, in my opinion, being able to shoot the 3 ball will never change.  It's pretty simple to figure out 3 > 2.  But that doesn't mean the style of play is always going to be 'race and space', if that makes sense.  

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I went back to their 2017 Hot Board. There were 4 guys in the top 5 the entire time : Steve Alford, Tony Bennett, Chris Collins, and Archie Miller. Miller was #5 on their last hot board before the hire. Maybe it's possible that the chatter stopped because there were ongoing talks. I hope that's the case with Beard. He is #2 on their list. 

Last time my #1 was Greg Marshall but glad that didn't happen

Osterman had a good Tweet about the timeline of the last 3 searches. If IU follows the same timeline, I think the earliest we hear something is Thursday (I don't think tomorrow because the Women play). IF it's Beard, it may be longer. Crean and Miller's season ended about a week before they took the IU job. Sampson was about two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Adjusted for likely reality of who we could actually get:

"My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett."

And even Moser has to look at our fanbase and recognize it's a risky move.  Not slamming us...just pointing out the reality of the situation.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Adjusted for likely reality of who we could actually get:

"My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett."

I would rather hire Woodson or one of the IU assistants than hire Moser. Mid-major guys worry the most out of anyone. Moser is only in his second tournament in 17 years as a head coach. I could possibly be talked into one of the IU guys but I would be really disappointed with Moser. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Well the NBA has changed to race and space. Teams want to play fast and everyone should be able to shoot the 3 and make it -- at all positions.

My argument -- The last time he was a head coach, the NBA wasn't race and space. They had centers who couldn't shoot, they have teams taking mid-range jumpers, etc.  

Maybe he could adapt, maybe Dane Fife could win a banner here, maybe Brad Stevens is coming tonight. No one knows anything. If Mike Woodson never played at Indiana then he really should not be a candidate. He hasn't done anything to stand out as a head coach for Indiana University. 

And he’s an assistant coach now in the the same NBA that is about race and space.  You seem to think he stopped coaching.  Just because the game has evolved doesn’t mean he hasn’t.

8 minutes ago, triple said:

And even Moser has to look at our fanbase and recognize it's a risky move.  Not slamming us...just pointing out the reality of the situation.

Think about it...Sister Jean for us...

Hand me a rosary...

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And he’s an assistant coach now in the the same NBA that is about race and space.  You seem to think he stopped coaching.  Just because the game has evolved doesn’t mean he hasn’t.

And then back to the point I made earlier, the Knicks are the slowest team in the NBA, #30th in the league in PACE. They are not your typical NBA team today. 

Offensively, where he is suppose to be good, the Knicks are #23 in the league. 

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

He didn’t start with nothing but Howard has transformed the roster. With Livers out three of his top 5 players are in their first year at Michigan (I.e. they were not “gifted” to him) and a fourth is only in his second year (has only played for Howard). That’s 4/5 of the top guys that have only been with the program during the Howard tenure.

His accomplishments sometimes seem to get downplayed  (he inherited a lot, Phil Martelli is the real coach etc. etc)  but I give the guy a TON of credit. He needed front and backcourt guys and he brought in two impactful transfers and his leading scorer is a freshman.  We sat on open scholarships and did not have a freshman anywhere close to impactful as Dickinson. He is the “CEO” and filled position needs, hired good assistants, has a fun team to watch, put in time as a NBA assistant learning from a good coach and has the number one class in the country, with two 5-stars and three 4-stars, coming. Time will tell but so far he has the program rolling.

Yeah, but the little guy with the funky hair freaks me out.  :)  

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last time my #1 was Greg Marshall but glad that didn't happen

Billy Donovan was my number 1 lol. I thought it was Alford until he said after UK beat them he wasn't the coach. I knew then IU had their guy. I thought it was Bennett or Miller the morning of. 

24 minutes ago, IU-DL said:
My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett. And I'd be perfectly fine with any of them.
Realistic to unrealistic: Musselman, Matta, Moser, Beard, Stevens, Bennett, Oats
Big fat disgusting screaming to the high heavens NO: Any "forced" IU guy. Alford, Woodson, Lewis as HC (assistant yes), Fife (assistant yes), USC coach, Beilein, Oregon coach, and I don't particularly love Drew. It's my moralistic ways that bother me about a few of these guys.

I'm with you, so it must be right! I would change your order and put Moser last but that is basically where I am. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

And then back to the point I made earlier, the Knicks are the slowest team in the NBA, #30th in the league in PACE. They are not your typical NBA team today. 

Offensively, where he is suppose to be good, the Knicks are #23 in the league. 

I thought he was known for getting the most of defensive players?  I could be wrong.  He has a ring as an assistant coach with the Pistons.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would rather hire Woodson or one of the IU assistants than hire Moser. Mid-major guys worry the most out of anyone. Moser is only in his second tournament in 17 years as a head coach. I could possibly be talked into one of the IU guys but I would be really disappointed with Moser. 

If Indiana had to win its conference to make the tournament each year we wouldn’t have more than two in that time span either.

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:

I thought he was known for getting the most of defensive players?  I could be wrong.  He has a ring as an assistant coach with the Pistons.

An article I read suggest he's an offensive minded. That might be suggested because of his Knicks team with Carmelo in 2013.

I have no idea however --- I really don't know much about the fella besides him playing at Indiana back in the day. 

Just now, Treesh said:

An article I read suggest he's an offensive minded. That might be suggested because of his Knicks team with Carmelo in 2013.

I have no idea however --- I really don't know much about the fella besides him playing at Indiana back in the day. 

Gotcha, well, I guess he just adjusts his coaching based on player personnel?

Just now, brumdog45 said:

He’s not the head coach.  And if you are going to attribute every stat to an assistant, then we should lead the NCAA in points allowed since that’s what the knicks are doing.

this gets back to the whole “they are winning but I don’t like how they are winning” argument about Bennett.  The Knicks have a bad NBA roster and are playing .500 ball by playing how they need to.  That’s a plus, not a minus.

I don't know how their staff operates. Sometimes NBA and even college teams have offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators. Nonetheless, the staff is very old-school basketball which goes against what Scott Dolson wanted I thought? 

Just now, Lebowski said:

Gotcha, well, I guess he just adjusts his coaching based on player personnel?

One would think. He gets what he's given in the head coaching role / assistant coaching role in the NBA. 

Which worries me to another point, he's never coached college basketball let alone recruited high school kids. Personally, the potential hire of Woodson just isn't exciting at all and would honestly seem completely out of left-field. We all want Indiana to win again but are we really going to hire an NBA assistant coach that is only being considered because he played for Indiana? Ugh.

Just hire Dane Fife, I like his odds way more as an IU hire. At least high school kids already know him. 

Just now, Treesh said:

One would think. He gets what he's given in the head coaching role / assistant coaching role in the NBA. 

Which worries me to another point, he's never coached college basketball let alone recruited high school kids. Personally, the potential hire of Woodson just isn't exciting at all and would honestly seem completely out of left-field. We all want Indiana to win again but are we really going to hire an NBA assistant coach that is only being considered because he played for Indiana? Ugh.

Just hire Dane Fife, I like his odds way more as an IU hire. At least high school kids already know him. 

Honestly, I just want a coach that wins.  I don't care who gets hired.