Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

IU hasn’t been in contact according to Rabby, Snow, and Peegs. They’re have been back channel chatter with others but not Beard for some reason.

Then Beard is probably the target. This is a tight-lipped event and the less chatter about something, the more probable it is.

47 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

We would be an absolute laughingstock if we came up with $10M to buy out Archie only to bring in Mike Woodson.

A week ago, the rest of the B1G was very worried we were on the verge of landing Brad Stevens. Now, they're giddy with anticipation at the thought of us hiring Mike Woodson.

Would you have it any other way?

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I could never look at going to a championship as a bad thing.  How many programs can they say that they have been to one championship game and to me that makes our fan base look entitled to be upset with going to one.

Had they won it that would be undeniable, and at the time it was a great time watching that run, but it was easily foreseeable that that extra week in the tourney delayed getting rid of an obviously bad coach by probably at least 2 seasons.

I still picture him with his just at a poop sandwich faces and tirades at refs after calls, which were not wrong, just not what he wanted.  He was like watching a bad rec dad coach scream at the ref making $10 a game about something he has no idea about.

Edited by iu eyedoc

it was actually about seven or eight years ago.
Gas was four dollars a gallon, Melo was a top 10 player in the league, add everyone had an iPhone.
IPhone 4's even!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett. And I'd be perfectly fine with any of them.
Realistic to unrealistic: Musselman, Matta, Moser, Beard, Stevens, Bennett, Oats
Big fat disgusting screaming to the high heavens NO: Any "forced" IU guy. Alford, Woodson, Lewis as HC (assistant yes), Fife (assistant yes), USC coach, Beilein, Oregon coach, and I don't particularly love Drew. It's my moralistic ways that bother me about a few of these guys.

5 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Who are the "others" we're back channeling to according to those guys?

The most notable is Muss but I’m not sure how serious talks have gone. There’s been some talk of Woodson, Matta, Beilein, and some on Fife. I think there’s more but I can’t keep track. There’s been a lot of names but nothing seems to have really heated up yet.

I mentioned this earlier. The NBA has a coaching fraternity. You hire your buddies because you guys are friends, you coached with each other in Dallas or Detroit, etc. There's a reason why there is an abundance of older NBA assistants, front office members, etc. 
Woodson has a history with Thibds, not to mention he has a history with the Knicks. Prior to the current job, he took two years off for whatever reason after leaving the Clippers (without PG + Kawhi obviously). Thibds called his buddy up, boom. 
Right so doesn't matter if you know the difference between defensive 3 seconds and an 8 second call as long as you're good fishing buddy. Come on man. Maybe they all stay in the league because they are very good at what they do which is why they are coaching at the absolute highest level.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I am including myself in this statement that our fan base is just nuts.  We take every little tidbit that is tweeted and take it as gospel and freak out about it if it doesn't meet our agenda.  Dolson said you will not hear from him until the announcement on the new coach is made  So why not let him do his job and see what happens instead of freaking out every minute.  We have no idea if any of this info going out has any truth to it at all so let it play out.

5 minutes ago, IU-DL said:
My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett. And I'd be perfectly fine with any of them.
Realistic to unrealistic: Musselman, Matta, Moser, Beard, Stevens, Bennett, Oats
Big fat disgusting screaming to the high heavens NO: Any "forced" IU guy. Alford, Woodson, Lewis as HC (assistant yes), Fife (assistant yes), USC coach, Beilein, Oregon coach, and I don't particularly love Drew. It's my moralistic ways that bother me about a few of these guys.

Adjusted for likely reality of who we could actually get:

"My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett."

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Adjusted for likely reality of who we could actually get:

"My preference, in order: Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett."

Not really a fan of Moser. He’s just not finally finding success. Just think that’s too much of a risk. If it happens, I will support him but with with my arms folded with a grumpy face :) 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Adjusted for reality of who we could actually get:

Ha. I thought that too, but if we're willing to spend the way it was rumored for Stevens, all of these guys get 2x...3x...up to 8x their current earnings. That's not something you ignore as it's generational money. Musselman, for example, would make $3M more at IU...per year. That's an awful lot of money to just say "no thanks". Same for all of them, really. I get it if a guy like Bennett has beef with IU, but the rest don't. I absolutely love my actual job and make a good wage, but if someone calls me and doubles or triples my income, it's my responsibility to listen.

Let's not go overboard on the Moser love.  He has had a nice run this year and their previous final four run.  But let's not forget that they lost in the first round of the MVC as a 1 seed and failed to make the tournament another year with a loaded team and the reigning player of the year in the MVC

11 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

1 minute ago, TadQueasy said:

image.gifLet's not go overboard on the Moser love.  He has had a nice run this year and their previous final four run.  But let's not forget that they lost in the first round of the MVC as a 1 seed and failed to make the tournament another year with a loaded team and the reigning player of the year in the MVC

2 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Not really a fan of Moser. He’s just not finally finding success. Just think that’s too much of a risk. If it happens, I will support him but with with my arms folded with a grumpy face :) 

Well then, let's combine your dislikes with the reality of IU-DL's preference list:

Moser, Stevens, Musselman or Beard, Matta, Oats, Bennett.

21 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

Then Beard is probably the target. This is a tight-lipped event and the less chatter about something, the more probable it is.

I went back to their 2017 Hot Board. There were 4 guys in the top 5 the entire time : Steve Alford, Tony Bennett, Chris Collins, and Archie Miller. Miller was #5 on their last hot board before the hire. Maybe it's possible that the chatter stopped because there were ongoing talks. I hope that's the case with Beard. He is #2 on their list. 

So far Beard and Beilein have been 1/2 the entire time. Woodson has been in the top 5 most of the time as well as Musselman.