Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I don’t know if this is sarcastic or not, but you just completed Stuhoo‘s burn of you. 

He was accurate in the seven - eight year note.

I still stand by my suggestive statement: Basketball has changed since he was last an NBA head coach. 

Just now, Treesh said:

He was accurate in the seven - eight year note.

I still stand by my suggestive statement: Basketball has changed since he was last an NBA head coach. 

But he's still coaching in the NBA right now.  I'm not understanding you here.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Re:  if you don’t think that Howard has been a key to Michigan’s success, compare him to Penny Hardaway.  Memphis has had as much talent as any team and wouldn’t have made the tourney last year and missed this year.

I agree with you but you have to also add in the fact that JB got the foundation in place before Juwan got there.  I’m not sure who was before Penny.  Nonetheless Howard gets a ton of credit

51 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

I think reality is setting in now. IU is nearly a big ten bottom feeder. We had some luster left when Crean came in and re-enerized everything. It's all gone now. We aren't a sleeping giant. If all that resource, and fans, and venue meant ANYTHING at this point, we wouldn't be at this point. The only people it means anything to are the people like we have here on this board. We are hopeless romantics with IU basketball.

Alford is all of a sudden not looking as bad(edit: I forgot he seems uninterested...spurned by the golden boy). Drew is about the best candidate we have and besides coming home, there is nothing for him at IU. 

I guess we are reduced to just taking another shot at an up and comer. 

And so I'm right back to my original thought. A proven TM/JB is probably a marginally better decision than Woodson/Lewis/Fife/Porter.

And finally, if behind the scenes we are truly failing at these negotiations, IU needs to call the interim audible and take the year to get it right. I'll take 1 year if it means actual homerun. It couldn't be any worse than the garbage basketball we just watched.

'Le sigh

The thing that some of you don't understand is if coaches don't come here it isn't always an indictment of IU.  I just see some coaches happy with where they are at and don't need to move up the ladder and money to be successful.  The question that should be asked is why would the elite coaches come to IU over staying at their current job. Also ask you what does IU have that none of their current programs don't have to make them leave.

Just now, Lebowski said:

I mentioned this earlier. The NBA has a coaching fraternity. You hire your buddies because you guys are friends, you coached with each other in Dallas or Detroit, etc. There's a reason why there is an abundance of older NBA assistants, front office members, etc. 

Woodson has a history with Thibds, not to mention he has a history with the Knicks. Prior to the current job, he took two years off for whatever reason after leaving the Clippers (without PG + Kawhi obviously). Thibds called his buddy up, boom. 

I’d take Musselman over Woodson and Alford. I don’t want to lose Franklin anymore than anyone else, but I would hope Dolson waits till we get a shot at some of these other coaches still in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I agree with you but you have to also add in the fact that JB got the foundation in place before Juwan got there.  I’m not sure who was before Penny.  Nonetheless Howard gets a ton of credit

A lot of guys have floundered when they inherited a good foundation. Howard is doing well and primarily because of players that have only been in his program. Let’s see how next year goes but I think the “best program in the BT” crown is potentially on the verge of moving from East Lansing to Ann Arbor.

46 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I forget... How much head coaching experience did Izzo have when he was hired at Michigan State?

Or Roy Williams had when KU hired him or Dean Smith when UNC hired him.  Jim Boeheim was only an assistant coach when Syracuse hired him.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I mentioned this earlier. The NBA has a coaching fraternity. You hire your buddies because you guys are friends, you coached with each other in Dallas or Detroit, etc. There's a reason why there is an abundance of older NBA assistants, front office members, etc. 

Woodson has a history with Thibds, not to mention he has a history with the Knicks. Prior to the current job, he took two years off for whatever reason after leaving the Clippers (without PG + Kawhi obviously). Thibds called his buddy up, boom. 

What does all that have to do with the game changing?  I'm not understanding you on that aspect of it.  Seems to me this shows he's able to evolve with the game.  I'm just trying to understand you here. 

Wants

- Fast paced offense that gets up and down the floor with player and ball movement. Gets shooters open. Gets driving lanes open. 

- player development

- No packline trash. Sick of the "need a defensive system." You just need basics and hustle to play defense. Offensive philosophy is WAY more important. Any coach can get guys to play good man to man defense. 

- personality can't be that of a cardboard box. 

- one who will hire great assistants. Archies were just god awful. Every single one of them. I really don't want a single one of them back. 

Just now, Lebowski said:

What does all that have to do with the game changing?  I'm not understanding you on that aspect of it.  Seems to me this shows he's able to evolve with the game.  I'm just trying understand you here. 

Well the NBA has changed to race and space. Teams want to play fast and everyone should be able to shoot the 3 and make it -- at all positions.

My argument -- The last time he was a head coach, the NBA wasn't race and space. They had centers who couldn't shoot, they have teams taking mid-range jumpers, etc.  

Maybe he could adapt, maybe Dane Fife could win a banner here, maybe Brad Stevens is coming tonight. No one knows anything. If Mike Woodson never played at Indiana then he really should not be a candidate. He hasn't done anything to stand out as a head coach for Indiana University. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Who in his second year went to the championship game

Yeah and was fired just a few short years later when he had his actual players on the roster.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

A lot of guys have floundered when they inherited a good foundation. Howard is doing well and primarily because of players that have only been in his program. Let’s see how next year goes but I think the “best program in the BT” crown is potentially on the verge of moving from East Lansing to Ann Arbor.

Yeah look at Mike Davis, Tubby, Ollie, Bruce Weber, etc.  All inherited a HOF coaches roster and did well initially but were disasters once they got their own guys.

14 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

He thinks anything that happened before he was alive doesn't count.  basketball has not changed one bit and the goal is still to get the ball in the basket and keep your opponent from scoring baskets.  I hate how the younger generation makes basketball or any other sport to be like rocket science and that you have to have a masters degree to understand it.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He thinks anything that happened before he was alive doesn't count.  basketball has not changed one bit and the goal is still to get the ball in the basket and keep your opponent from scoring baskets.  I hate how the younger generation makes basketball or any other sport to be like rocket science and that you have to have a masters degree to understand it.

This type of thinking is why the Pacers are the Pacers! You want Indiana to become the Pacers?!