Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

Well he's coaching the slowest paced team in the entire NBA at the moment.

So... 

I thought I read where when Woodson was head coach he had two years where his offense was ranked in the top 3

Just now, IU Scott said:

I thought I read where when Woodson was head coach he had two years where his offense was ranked in the top 3

Yeah, maybe in 2005 when gas was 1.15 a gallon, Melo was a top 3 player in the league, and iPhones were an idea in Steve's Job bed-side journal

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yeah, maybe in 2005 when gas was 1.15 a gallon, Melo was a top 3 player in the league, and iPhones were an idea in Steve's Job bed-side journal

it was actually about seven or eight years ago.
Gas was four dollars a gallon, Melo was a top 10 player in the league, add everyone had an iPhone.

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

Juwan is also only 48. Woodson is 63 coaching one of the least entertaining NBA teams in the league currently. Howard has fresher perspective. 

We should also note Michigan's roster was already in good place from John's recruiting and Saddie's recruiting. He didn't start with nothing. 

Why are you so caught up with the age of coaches. Right now we have a 76 year old and a 72 year old in the sweet 16.  With how coaches move around today or how programs fire coaches the days of coaches staying 3.0 years is probably over.

Wikipedia breaking the news apparently, lol

*Note: This was not me and does not look legit in the slightest since it's not even a grammatically correct sentence. 

Michael Dean Woodson (born March 24, 1958)[1] is an American professional basketball coach and former player is the head coach for the Indiana Hoosiers of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Woodson

Edited by dreachon

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why are you so caught up with the age of coaches. Right now we have a 76 year old and a 72 year old in the sweet 16.  With how coaches move around today or how programs fire coaches the days of coaches staying 3.0 years is probably over.

One thing to remember: Those two are established at their institutions. Hamilton has been at FSU for 19 seasons. Boeheim has been at Syracuse since Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain ... I try not to have an age bias, but starting at a school when you're 63 or 68 is a tad concerning. At least it is in my opinion. That said, If we hired Beilein or Woodson, I'd still watch games and support team. That won't stop. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Juwan is also only 48. Woodson is 63 coaching one of the least entertaining NBA teams in the league currently. Howard has fresher perspective. 

We should also note Michigan's roster was already in good place from John's recruiting and Saddie's recruiting. He didn't start with nothing. 

He didn’t start with nothing but Howard has transformed the roster. With Livers out three of his top 5 players are in their first year at Michigan (I.e. they were not “gifted” to him) and a fourth is only in his second year (has only played for Howard). That’s 4/5 of the top guys that have only been with the program during the Howard tenure.

His accomplishments sometimes seem to get downplayed  (he inherited a lot, Phil Martelli is the real coach etc. etc)  but I give the guy a TON of credit. He needed front and backcourt guys and he brought in two impactful transfers and his leading scorer is a freshman.  We sat on open scholarships and did not have a freshman anywhere close to impactful as Dickinson. He is the “CEO” and filled position needs, hired good assistants, has a fun team to watch, put in time as a NBA assistant learning from a good coach and has the number one class in the country, with two 5-stars and three 4-stars, coming. Time will tell but so far he has the program rolling.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gas was four dollars a gallon, Melo was a top 10 player in the league, add everyone had an iPhone.

Yeah....but....well...

seems that everyone is wants to make this decision as a 100% or 0% thing.  

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_ratings.html

The iPhone 5S was out.

Average price of gas was $3.53

Anthony was second team ALL-NBA. The following year he wouldn't be voted!

Times have sure changed since then! 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The 76 year old has been at his program for 42 (I think) years and 72 year old has been with his for 19 years. The 76 year old is the oldest coach to ever coach Division 1 basketball. I'm not 100% opposed to Beilein but if he were hired its highly likely that by the time he really got things going here he would be the oldest coach in D1 basketball (assuming Boeheim, K, Hamilton, Roy, etc retire soon). At very least he'd be one of the 5 oldest coaches and whether we want to admit it or not we're already talking about another coaching change. It would be far different if Beilein had been here for 15 years and we were talking about extending someone who already has his track record at IU, culture at IU, etc. in place. Age is a perfectly valid thing to be concerned about for this next coach. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_ratings.html

The iPhone 5S was out.

Average price of gas was $3.53

Times have sure changed since then! 

I don’t know if this is sarcastic or not, but you just completed Stuhoo‘s burn of you. 

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

He didn’t start with nothing but Howard has transformed the roster. With Livers out three of his top 5 players are in their first year at Michigan (I.e. they were not “gifted” to him) and a fourth is only in his second year (has only played for Howard). That’s 4/5 of the top guys that have only been with the program during the Howard tenure.

His accomplishments sometimes seem to get downplayed  (he inherited a lot, Phil Martelli is the real coach etc. etc)  but I give the guy a TON of credit. He needed front and backcourt guys and he brought in two impactful transfers and his leading scorer is a freshman.  We sat on open scholarships and did not have a freshman anywhere close to impactful as Dickinson. He is the “CEO” and filled position needs, hired good assistants, has a fun team to watch, put in time as a NBA assistant learning from a good coach and has the number one class in the country, with two 5-stars and three 4-stars, coming. Time will tell but so far he has the program rolling.

He's also very positive in his treatment of the players...I think that's the kind of guy kids want to play for any more...They're not into the "scream in your face" types any more...

I was skeptical that he would do well at Michigan, but he's starting to win me over...He recruits well enough...Michigan will be a B1G force for the foreseeable future I think...

We would be an absolute laughingstock if we came up with $10M to buy out Archie only to bring in Mike Woodson.

A week ago, the rest of the B1G was very worried we were on the verge of landing Brad Stevens. Now, they're giddy with anticipation at the thought of us hiring Mike Woodson.