Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not that it should matter but don't you have to have a degree to be an assistant? I don't believe any of those players you named have one. But I could be wrong. 

Is that an actual rule? That seems bizarre

49 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I guess I'm confused, if all the rumors are to be believed, why Dolson started with his A-list candidate, and when that supposedly fell through he pulled out his D-list instead of waiting for the Bs to finish the tournament.

I mean, you obviously start with your dream hire and work your way down. I don’t know that the admin ever preferred some of the guys this board does over TM - and I’d argue rightfully so. 

And sure, there may be other calls to make before you get to JB and MW (or even TM), but if they’re not interested, that process takes five minutes.

I also just don’t know all of what they’ve heard already from the agents of the guys still in the tourney. It could be that for one or two of them they’ve been told “I’ll talk to you when we’re eliminated” in which case you move forward with narrowing your pool but don’t make the hire yet if it’s possible he could rise to the top of your list. For example, it could be that they still want to talk to someone like Porter before they make they’re hire, even if they favor JB and MW right now. 

Edited by Nonymouse

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Best coach we could get?

A great question that we'll never be able to answer in 2021. This I think we can all agree is true:

Somewhere out there is a first ballot hall of fame coach that is in his 30's or early 40's and on someone's staff. We can get him ... now.

THAT is the best coach we could get. Now name him (cause I can't ;)

Sure, I understand that. I don't think IU is in a position to take that route now. I'm advocating for the best known quantity.

For example Option 1-Brad Stevens. NO? ok who's next? Not Mike Woodson or up & comer guy. That is my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

who hasn't sniffed the college game in 30 years.  

Dolson said he would consider assistants and he wanted to bring a modern NBA focused approach... Woodson would allow him to claim success, if nothing else.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He's gonna be 63 this week. He can be a recruiting closer, but he's not gonna be out there beating the AAU bushes.

However, I really think his best recruiting plus is who he could put on staff. In the past ten years, he's been hanging out with so many big-name, high character NBA players: Felton, Delk, about to retire DeAndre Jordan (would be an incredible assistant), Melo and Rose, Jamal Crawford (what a GREAT get he would be). Too many others to name.

I think all of those guys could be leveraged for recruiting purposes.   But, I'm not sure any of them are big time college basketball assistants. 

I would think we would want to surround Woody with assistants who have experience on the recruiting trail.  Kenya Hunter seems like a no brainer to keep on board with his recruiting ties and abilities.  He would have the east coast recruiting ties.   I think an assistant with Indiana/midwest ties would be next.  

Next, I really think we need an assistant who would be our defensive coordinator so to speak.  Woody seems to be the offensive guru.  I think we need someone that could bring an expertise on defense to his staff.  

I'm softening to the idea of Woodson.  I think smart hires for assistant coaches could give us a pretty strong staff. 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

If it’s Woodson, I think we should wait to see what kind of staff he can put together, before we get our pitchforks out. Juwan Howard had zero head coaching experience and zero experience recruiting. He’s dominating right now. Woodson is highly respected amongst players and coaches in the NBA. If he can put together a high powered staff, I can absolutely see how young talent would want to come play for Woody. At this point, how much worse can it get than Archie? Bring on Woody. If he doesn’t work out, we can put the whole “IU needs an IU guy” theory to rest, for good. 

Juwan is also only 48. Woodson is 63 coaching one of the least entertaining NBA teams in the league currently. Howard has fresher perspective. 

We should also note Michigan's roster was already in good place from John's recruiting and Saddie's recruiting. He didn't start with nothing. 

I would just like to state that Archie Miller ran a very good program here at Indiana, outside of winning of course.
We didn't have players running over each other, your start PG getting arrested during Little 500, grade issues. 
Thanks, Arch! 
Well winning is at the top of the priority list otherwise there's no point. And he was astronomically bad at that portion

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, ap2345 said:

Why because a school employee needs a college degree? It’s not bizarre at all.

The assistant coach is not a faculty member. I would speculate that over half of IU employees do not have degree or hold a position that does not require their degree.