Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

12 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

As of last night, there were two clear front runners in terms of likelihood to be the next coach - Belein and Woodson. I don’t know in what order, I just know it’s more likely it’s one of them than not them. It’s very unlikely at this point that the next coach is a current college assistant. 

If this stretches past this weekend, maybe they get involved with the coach of a team currently still in the tournament. Not sure on that. But don’t be surprised if JB or MW is announced in the next few days even though nothing is decided right now (or at least as of last night). 

I guess I'm confused, if all the rumors are to be believed, why Dolson started with his A-list candidate, and when that supposedly fell through he pulled out his D-list instead of waiting for the Bs to finish the tournament.

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Beilein could get us to the final four in four years and then retire. Which would mean we are still looking for a new coach in four years. 

If they get a top assistant with the HC aspirations as the plan (looking at you, Michael Lewis), Beilein would not be a bad thing, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

One with head coaching experience. This also would fit more with the vision that Dolson outlined of NBA prep...

Both have head coaching experience

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Beilein is a great coach but... am I crazy for wanting Woodson instead? He’s 5 years years younger and doesn’t have that “thugs” comment hanging over him...

I have MAJOR concerns over Beilein’s ability to recruit given how much hate he got from that and basically got ran out of the NBA.

Woodson has coached some of the best players in the NBA and I wonder if he could parlay that experience into getting kids to come.... I don’t know, Beilein is obviously a good hire but his age + recent controversies scare me.

Woodson has the potential (mind you...potential) to be a GREAT recruiter--he has so so many recently retired NBA names that could be on staff. Also, he has been the 'offensive coordinator' for some very fast-paced, efficient, modern-era, three point friendly NBA teams. It's contrary to expectations from an old-school Knight-era guy, but Woody is a guy that really gets an offense humming.

Beilein? Great coach...great coach. Great guy. I worry a lot about recruiting with him too--not because of the 'thugs' comment--a good man like Beilein will have plenty of people to vouch for his character. However, it WILL be used against a 68+ year old coach that his shelf life is short. If not this year, then  a year or two from now for sure.

If those are my choices give me Woody every time.

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

If they get a top assistant with the HC aspirations as the plan (looking at you, Michael Lewis), this would not be a bad thing, IMO.

I am not saying it is a bad thing at all. Not my top option, but not bad.

I was mostly meaning his either/or situation wasn't really and either/or situation. 

Dakich is on the Dan Patrick Show prattling on that Alford should get the gig. 

Says he's against hiring the "hot" guy -- a-la Sampson, Crean, MIller. 

I know Alford is his buddy, but he's been very unremarkable as a coach. If he didn't play at IU, he wouldn't even be mentioned. Why do people like Dakich think Alford coming to Bloomington would all the sudden make him a great coach? That puzzles me to no end. 

Dakich also said  he called Glass after he hired Archie and told him he just made a huge mistake. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

I am not saying it is a bad thing at all. Not my top option, but not bad.

I was mostly meaning his either/or situation wasn't really and either/or situation. 

Agreed... if it's either/or, this is the way to go. Loved Woodson as a player, but not sold on him as OUR coach.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Dakich is on the Dan Patrick Show prattling on that Alford should get the gig. 

Says he's against hiring the "hot" guy -- a-la Sampson, Crean, MIller. 

I know Alford is his buddy, but he's been very unremarkable as a coach. If he didn't play at IU, he wouldn't even be mentioned. Why do people like Dakich think Alford coming to Bloomington would all the sudden make him a great coach? That puzzles me to no end. 

He also said  he called Glass after hiring Archie and told him he just made a huge mistake. 

Confused... who called Glass? DD or Stevie Boy Wonder?

5 minutes ago, madmax said:

I refuse to believe any of the smoke about Woodson. Dolson is not going from throwing $7 million at Stevens to settling for an NBA assistant with a mediocre resume. Just ain’t happening.

Agree with this entirety. If it ends up being Beilein after we've kicked the tires on Beard, Musselman, Oats, etc., I could live with that. But if it's Beilein this week, then no.

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

I refuse to believe any of the smoke about Woodson. Dolson is not going from throwing $7 million at Stevens to settling for an NBA assistant with a mediocre resume. Just ain’t happening.

I'd like to join you in that refusal, however stranger things have happened in all the previous coaching hires after Davis. I'd be shocked but not fully surprised.

7 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Both have head coaching experience

The reference there was not for Beilein & Woodson, but on whether we would take a NBA assistant vs. college assistant.

My point was that the NBA assistant in question has head coaching experience.

Edit: I am not opposed to a Beilein hire per se.

As of last night, there were two clear front runners in terms of likelihood to be the next coach - Belein and Woodson.

Really? Says who? Did Dolson come out and say or did someone with "sources" tweet it or post it on a message board?

It very well could be those 2, but no one knows except Dolson and maybe a couple others and they ain't saying anything.

Nothing tweeted out so far has turned out to be right, so why assume it is down to those two. There is still a Tournament being played.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk