Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Here’s a question for the group... why would folks prefer Fife over Michael Lewis? Is it because of his stint as a head coach?

Just wondering because Michael Lewis has been, what seems to be an extremely successful assistant, for like 16 years, under Knight, Stevens, and others. Seems to have played a major part in improving the success of the teams he’s coached with.

And he played for Knight for four full years and coached under him for two more. Fife played some for Knight and some for Davis.

Just curious what folks thoughts are.

I really hope we can get Lewis on the staff.  First time head coach at this level is an awful big swing.  Minny and PSU are trying that way though.

7 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Here’s a question for the group... why would folks prefer Fife over Michael Lewis? Is it because of his stint as a head coach?

Just wondering because Michael Lewis has been, what seems to be an extremely successful assistant, for like 16 years, under Knight, Stevens, and others. Seems to have played a major part in improving the success of the teams he’s coached with.

And he played for Knight for four full years and coached under him for two more. Fife played some for Knight and some for Davis.

Just curious what folks thoughts are.

I'd definitely go Lewis over Fife... just something intangible about him... Lewis just seems to me to have that gritty edge... not ready to give him the keys to the kingdom... but I could live with him as "heir apparent" under someone like Beilein... I think Beilein could teach him a lot.

5 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

So after seeing these tourney numbers Bears looks better than a lot of people think. 

It's for sure a small sample size. But he is on par with Stevens. I mean he's won. He upset Purdue at Little-Rock, Elite 8 in year two, Runner-Up in year 3 at Tech. Would've had a tournament team last year and won a game this year. The thing I'll add about Beilein over Matta...Beilein may be older but he's in better health and he's had more recent success. Matta's last decent team was in 2013. He hasn't recruited since 2016-2017. Beilein had Michigan in the NCAA Finals in 2018. He last recruited in 2018-2019. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

It's for sure a small sample size. But he is on par with Stevens. I mean he's won. He upset Purdue at Little-Rock, Elite 8 in year two, Runner-Up in year 3 at Tech. Would've had a tournament team last year and won a game this year. 

And last night game could have went either way. A missed call, missed free throw and 2 missed layups and lose by 2. 

2 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

And last night game could have went either way. A missed call, missed free throw and 2 missed layups and lose by 2. 

Yes. That's why you have to take a grain of salt with some things with the tournament. It's a crapshoot. But it's a trend when a coach continues to do well (60-70% winning percentage).

10 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

So after seeing these tourney numbers Beard looks better than a lot of people think. 

There's a huge difference between Pikel (sp) at Rutgers who played prevent basketball the last 4min against Houston and Beard or Musselmans teams who play to win the whole game. 

6 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'd definitely go Lewis over Fife... just something intangible about him... Lewis just seems to me to have that gritty edge... not ready to give him the keys to the kingdom... but I could live with him as "heir apparent" under someone like Beilein... I think Beilein could teach him a lot.

I love them both! I think both had that gritty edge to them! Lewis would get the nod from me though. I just read an article about him throwing the ball off Jacob Jaaks (Iowa) face on an out of bounds play. Iowa hated it, but that’s how I was taught to play in the early 80s. I love that mentality from a player!

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

There's a huge difference between Pikel (sp) at Rutgers who played prevent basketball the last 4min against Houston and Beard or Musselmans teams who play to win the whole game. 

Yeah Piekiel lost stock after that crap. He’s done a great job but they had that game won. 

30 minutes ago, Feathery said:

That’s a tough list.

Stevens doesn’t even meet this criteria. Doesn’t have #1. 

Matta, Beilein, Fife, Alford, Lewis, Bennett, Beard, Musselman, Oats do not meet #4

Given the comments we have here, only Stevens could have satisfied #4 (and even then only if he had not made those comments on Friday). So with your comment we are clearly looking at an empty set of coaching candidates.

33 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think a quality we all want with the new coach is someone who can win in March. I don't care about November. IU was as high as #3 in the 2016-2017 season and they flamed out. I saw someone post NCAA Tournament records of some of the candidates on Twitter. I'll include Stevens just to show how he is in comparison. I also looked up Sampson, Crean, and Miller's NCAA records before they came to IU. 

Chris Beard 10-4 71%

John Beilein 26-13 67% 

Brad Stevens 12-5 71%

Archie Miller 5-4 56%

Tom Crean 5-5 50%

Kelvin Sampson 11-12 48%

The saying is you don't want to hire a coach based off one run. I feel the last two hires were based off one run. I took away each coaches best tournament run and here are the winning percentages: 

Beard 63%

Beilein 60%

Stevens 64%

Miller 40%

Crean 20%

Sampson 39%

I know the tournament is a crap shoot but I'd love Beard or Beilein (age concerns me). It's obvious both are major upgrades over what this program has had. They are also on par with Stevens as far as the tournament goes. Yes, he was my number one choice but Beard and Beilein are good options. I didn't get to appreciate IU basketball in the 70s, 80s, and 90s like most of you. My first team I can remember making a run is the 2002 team. 2012, 2013, and 2016 teams made the Sweet 16. I just want this team to get back to making deep runs. Let's not over look things. It's all about March and how far you go. 

1) compete and win in the big ten

2) make the tournament

3) start making deep runs in the tournament

All of his former players said RMK never brought up winning the tournament as a goal at the start of the year.  They said all the focus was on winning the big ten and that is all they focused on

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1) compete and win in the big ten

2) make the tournament

3) start making deep runs in the tournament

All of his former players said RMK never brought up winning the tournament as a goal at the start of the year.  They said all the focus was on winning the big ten and that is all they focused on

Exactly, if you win the B1G, you’ll more than likely have a 1 or 2 seed and have a lot of tough games to learn from. 

16 minutes ago, hoosrnight said:

I love them both! I think both had that gritty edge to them! Lewis would get the nod from me though. I just read an article about him throwing the ball off Jacob Jaaks (Iowa) face on an out of bounds play. Iowa hated it, but that’s how I was taught to play in the early 80s. I love that mentality from a player!

I was at that game.  Jaaks was being rough all game.  He rolled on the floor in a daze for a while after the in bounds pass. Only time that I've seen CBK crack a smile during a game.  I don't think that ball has landed, yet.

Goodman again but this time with Thad Matta lol

1F37ECEE-5BA4-45A4-8791-9EB42A903F4A.thumb.jpeg.a3b44a4a6b73780b66fc3eb4522ad93e.jpeg

e48bda84b593c04ca43139790c1104ae.jpg&key=d350848046258ca9e66493e266dfacc66c3221c25f91c2e50c7e054137923ca5

Is it bad that even with my high level of fandom for IU, I’m almost beginning to root for them to get a good hire and a lot of success to not only make my fandom and inner being happy, but to make this man shut the H-E-double-hockeysticks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

e48bda84b593c04ca43139790c1104ae.jpg
Is it bad that even with my high level of fandom for IU, I’m almost beginning to root for them to get a good hire and a lot of success to not only make my fandom and inner being happy, but to make this man shut the H-E-double-hockeysticks up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it’s not. I’m hoping for the same thing. 

Just now, cleeter said:

He’s got a brace on his right foot. His health is too bad, no way he could coach. Scratch him off every list. No more debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah because that really means anything.