Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No way...UNC would never settle for a mid major guy only because he happened to attend their school.  ;)

UNC also pays their players and let’s them take fake classes. When you’re willing to do that then who you hire isn’t as important. You just need people to deliver the duffel bags. Archie could’ve gotten his brother’s results had he been allowed to recruit like his brother. I’d be much more likely to be ok with a mid major or IU guy if we allowed that. Will Wade is a crappy coach but he wins because he’s dirty as hell. But IU won’t do that, so that’s why we need someone with proven P5 success. 

Hello all. Only been hanging around the site for a couple days (and I apologize if this has specifically been discussed) but I am curious as to what "we" are looking for in a coach ......

A) A "culture" guy ----- (ex: Stevens)

B) A "proven winner" ------- (ex: Bennett)

C) A "proven winner in the BIG" ------- (ex: Beilein, Matta)

D) A "somewhat proven" winner with Bobby ties ------- (ex: Beard)

E) An "advanced metrics" guy ------- (ex: Oats)

F) An "X's and O's" guy ------- (ex: Moser)

G) An "NBA-style" coach who would appeal to players aspiring to the pros ------- (ex: Woodson)

H) An "IU guy" with experience and brand name -------- (Alford)

I) An "IU guy" who isn't damaged goods (ex: Lewis or Fife)

J) Someone who is NOT coming from a mid-major

Not to say there isn't crossover in this list. Just curious. I find myself moving the target hour to hour these last few days. But I think if I could have anyone, my vote would actually be Moser. I listened to him on the radio this morning. Guy has serious personality. The Chicago people love him and Loyola absolutely crushed some dreams yesterday. He is a BIG TIME X's and O's guy. And to me THAT is Indiana basketball. I personally don't care where he'd be coming from. 

2 minutes ago, goiubb2000 said:

Yes, chatter is his term. 

Yeah I know. Beilein, Woodson, and Beard in that order. With Musselman and Fife getting some talk as well. So basically it doesn’t sound like he knows much. He doesn’t think there is anything to Matta.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How many games would an NBA coach be expected to win if his top five in minutes played (in order) were Melo (in his prime), Earl Barron, Raymond Felton, J.R. Smith, and Tyson Chandler?

Looks like a 39 year old Jason Kidd was fifth in minutes on that team; Barron just played a lot in a single game. But your point stands! That team was absolutely maximized by its coach

8 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

Just talked to an AAU guy I know. The top 3 names he has heard are Beard, Mussleman, and Fife.

Did he say who he’s hearing them from? Someone mentioned IU letting names out to gauge reactions and I’m curious if there’s any evidence of that happening. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How many games would an NBA coach be expected to win if his top five in minutes played (in order) were Melo (in his prime), Earl Barron, Raymond Felton, J.R. Smith, and Tyson Chandler?

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Looks like a 39 year old Jason Kidd was fifth in minutes on that team; Barron just played a lot in a single game. But your point stands! That team was absolutely maximized by its coach

Kinda gets more amazing the deeper you go down the list. Starting at sixth in minutes and descending: Steve Novak, Pablo Prigioni, Iman Shumpert, Chris Copeland, and Ronnie Brewer

49 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

This caused me to go to a UNC board and there are some precisely comments in a fire Roy thread. I especially liked this one "Roy fumbled about 2-3 Natty's in the last 10 years... Had the talent but fumbled it.."

Maybe we can hire Roy... sorry hard pass, too old. 

1 minute ago, BeerBQ said:

Did he say who he’s hearing them from? Someone mentioned IU letting names out to gauge reactions and I’m curious if there’s any evidence of that happening. 

Boosters. Most likely just noise. Just saw people mention AAU people possibly having head stuff so I reached out to him.