Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

You missed the point. 

I get the point, but I am saying if another NBA coach with a similar resume and ties to at least the state of Indiana was interested in the job then we should at least consider them.

Edit: Additionally, I had NO particular interest in Woodson for the job prior to looking at his resume (he was before my time). After looking at his resume is when I decided he should at least be given significant consideration. 

In other words, my interest in Woodson is 100% based on his resume and if someone with significant success in the NBA is interested in the IU job we should definitely kick the tires.

Just now, Evariste Galois said:

I get the point, but I am saying if another NBA coach with a similar resume and ties to at least the state of Indiana was interested in the job then we should at least consider them.

Gotcha. I'm fine with him being considered but if he's a serious contender (top 2), we have problems. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

As I said, note the improvement from year 1 with the Hawks to year 6...

Also, his first year of coach of the Knicks, he replace Mike D'antoni who was 18-24...He finished the Knocks out with an 18=6 record...

Again you’re making excuses, he’s had 3 winning seasons in 8 as a head coach. FULL SEASONS not some interim job for 24 games. Who cares about improving if you still having a losing record? 

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

He actually checks multiple boxes: former IU player, NBA coaching experience, and was a pretty damn good shooter/scorer - something our current roster desperately needs coaching on.

Does it make him a top level candidate? I'd think not because of his lack of experience at the college level.  Still, his coaching acumen is no worse that some names that have been thrown out there.

Are we hiring him to throw on the candy stripes and play for us? Archie Miller shot 43% from 3 and 85% from the line in college. His IU teams couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn. Being able to do something yourself doesn’t mean you’re going to be able to get others to do it.

Patrick Ewing was a hall of fame NBA player who spent 15 years as an assistant in the NBA. He’s been a disaster at Georgetown. Woodson should not be a serious candidate for the job. If he hadn’t played basketball at IU 40+ years ago every poster on here would agree. If “IU guy” is all it takes for a bad candidate to become a good candidate, that’s a recipe for disaster. 

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Yes but being an alum always makes a difference. If Howard wasn’t a Michigan alum should he have gotten the Michigan job replacing Beilein. Probably not. I don’t want Woodson but being an alum always plays a factor.

I agree about the alumni factor and I agree I don’t want Woodson either. Great respect for him as a person and player, I met him in 2009 when I was a student and he was a great guy. 

Edited by Indiana8585

2 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

We have done worse...

No doubt....but is that standard? I thought the vibe was Dolson was gonna right the ship and not shoot for "good enough"? 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

No doubt....but is that standard? I thought the vibe was Dolson was gonna right the ship and not shoot for "good enough"? 

I still believe he is. Things go quiet though today and all of a sudden fear and panic set in.

8 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I doubt the team’s been told. I would guess Kendrick tweeted then Lander saw it. Lander texted Kendrick to see what he knew. Then Lander tweeted that he liked what he heard that’s purely speculation but it’s based on the timing of the tweets.

No offense but Im not seeing this logic. *If there is a deal in place with a coach, I would guarantee that the team knows about it. Dolson got on a zoom call with Duncomb immediately after the firing of Archie. Why wouldn't they do the same to keep the roster intact? The longer this goes without the players knowing, the chances of them entering the transfer portal increases significantly. They will certainly know before Kendrick knows. I think some are looking into the timing of the two tweets more than they should be. 

Are we hiring him to throw on the candy stripes and play for us? Archie Miller shot 43% from 3 and 85% from the line in college. His IU teams couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn. Being able to do something yourself doesn’t mean you’re going to be able to get others to do it.

Patrick Ewing was a hall of fame NBA player who spent 15 years as an assistant in the NBA. He’s been a disaster at Georgetown. Woodson should not be a serious candidate for the job. If he hadn’t played basketball at IU 40+ years ago every poster on here would agree. If “IU guy” is all it takes for a bad candidate to become a good candidate, that’s a recipe for disaster. 
I think your bias has overcome your logic.... but what do I know.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

31 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

This, this this. 

I'm sure Mike Woodson is a fine man and terrific coach. Is he THE best coach IU can acquire? Does anyone (likely including Mike Woodson) believe that? No, not one person in the entire world does. Hire the best you can get, which does not include Mike Woodson. 

Is he? Well...maybe not--as all have said, he's older and has no college experience. 

The problem is, I see a whole lot of trashing of the best coaches that maybe we CAN acquire. 

It's like this--we all would be happy as heck (or insane not to be) if Stevens, Oats, Beard, or even Musselman came to IU. Beilein would be turning 69 during his first IU season and we don't even know if Matta is healthy enough to be a serious candidate.

Who does that leave? Some arguably fantastic college basketball coaches: Enfield, Moser, Wes Miller, etc. But when those get mentioned they are decried as "too risky", even though the indisputable evidence is that EVERY successful coach currently in the B1G had a lesser resume than Enfield, Moser, or Wes Miller when they got their B1G jobs.

2 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Again you’re making excuses, he’s had 3 winning seasons in 8 as a head coach. FULL SEASONS not some interim job for 24 games. Who cares about improving if you still having a losing record? 

So going from winning 16% of your games in his first year, then going 32%, 37%, 45%, 57%, 65% had nothing to do with coaching...

Oooookay...

In the Knicks interim season, he took over for a guy who's considered a pretty fair coach and won as many games in 24 games as D'Antoni did in 42, and then winning the division the next year is not good coaching? 

Just now, HoosierTrav said:

No offense but Im not seeing this logic. *If there is a deal in place with a coach, I would guarantee that the team knows about it. Dolson got on a zoom call with Duncomb immediately after the firing of Archie. Why wouldn't they do the same to keep the roster intact? The longer this goes without the players knowing, the chances of them entering the transfer portal increases significantly. They will certainly know before Kendrick knows. I think some are looking into the timing of the two tweets more than they should be. 

If the players know it would’ve already gotten out to more people than it apparently has. I’m basing this on the rumor that Dolson has talked to high profile AAU coaches around the state within the last 48 hours.

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

Based on his resume, I think he would be much better than "good enough." Obviously everyone's # 1 was Stevens after that I am not 100% clear why he would not have a higher ceiling than Musselman for example. And one cannot ignore that he went to IU. 

We are not likely to land our top 1 (conspiracies aside, already out) or 2. I would be excited to give Woodson a chance if his number comes up.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So going from winning 16% of your games in his first year, then going 32%, 37%, 45%, 57%, 65% had nothing to do with coaching...

Oooookay...

In the Knicks interim season, he took over for a guy who's considered a pretty fair coach and won as many games in 24 games as D'Antoni did in 42, and then winning the division the next year is not good coaching? 

No having 3 winning seasons in 8 full years isn’t good. I don’t care how many stats you put up because a losing record is still....... a losing record. Oooook

Oh so the one winning season is supposed to be impressive? How’d he do after that? Losing record the next year so that’s not consistent  

If he’s so great like you keep saying why hasn’t he been hired in the last 7 years as a head coach?????? Only been about 20 openings 

Edited by Indiana8585