Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, madmax said:

No, he's really not an intriguing choice. Coached over 600 games in the NBA and won well under 50%. Hard pass, no thanks. Next.

Really should look at the context. His first year with the Hawks was one of the worst teams in NBA history and won 13 games. They improved, especially offensively every season.

10 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

Really feel like Woodson is a serious contender now. At first I wasn't sure however he checks all the boxes. He would prove to be an excellent recruiter between selling the NBA experience and his personality. If you look at everything he offers he is an intriguing choice.

He literally checks zero of the boxes. Well, I guess he checks the “played basketball 40+ years ago for Bob Knight” box. He’s 62 years old and never coached at the college level or recruited in his life. 

2 minutes ago, iubb said:

I feel like we are going to hear some news  today.. it’s be way to quiet. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The women's team plays today so I doubt they'd want to overshadow that with MBB news about a coach.

I can't buy using stats from one level to project what a coach's stats would be at the next level.  If so, we should be trying to hire Jack Keefer or J. R. Holmes.  It's just too much apples vs oranges.  Too much difference in the games and the quality/ability of the players.  Having said that, I'm still not interested in Woodson.

1 minute ago, Scott_b said:

Really should look at the context. His first year with the Hawks was one of the worst teams in NBA history and won 13 games. They improved, especially offensively every season.

Context doesn't change the overall record or lack of recruiting experience, or experience coaching college ball in general.

9 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Checks all the boxes?  Has never coached at the college level.  Has never recruited before.  Is old.  Proven loser at the NBA level.  What box does he check?  That he's an NBA guy?  That's worked wonders for Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, St John's, Memphis, Georgetown, etc.

tenor (13).gif

Just stop with that--it's plain old not true. He inherited pretty much the worst team in the NBA (Atlanta) and after a few bad years got them into the playoffs. He then took the Knicks job and won plenty. Since then he's been on staffs that win win win.

Doc Rivers, Tom Thibedou and other top flight NBA people think this Hoosier great has been worthy of NBA employment for 30 years straight. 

He's older than many and he's got no college experience, so I get it if he's not a primary choice for people, but Mike Woodson's NBA resume is good. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I can't buy using stats from one level to project what a coach's stats would be at the next level.  If so, we should be trying to hire Jack Keefer or J. R. Holmes.  It's just too much apples vs oranges.  Too much difference in the games and the quality/ability of the players.  Having said that, I'm still not interested in Woodson.

Keefer’s been winning recruiting battles for years. He’d do just fin in college. I do wonder about guys like Tonegal and Heady bu not as the head coach. Those guys do know how to win at the. NAIA level.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He literally checks zero of the boxes. Well, I guess he checks the “played basketball 40+ years ago for Bob Knight” box. He’s 62 years old and never coached at the college level or recruited in his life. 

Recruiting is about connections and building relationships and Woodson is phenomenal on both fronts. Assistants can help him with the rest of recruiting. High ranked kids look for a way to make the NBA (see Juwan Howard). And Indiana wants a coach that plays more of an NBA style.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For a better look at Woodson, here's his HC record...note the improvement every year with the Hawks, and coaching a James Dolan owned Knicks team to a 1st place finish in the Atlantic conference has to be considered a parting of the Red Sea type miracle...

MW.PNG.2009074bfd09c6171add3ee4994dfa20.PNG

+1

I do not follow the NBA much, but sometimes raw stats can be misleading. 

I do not get the "63" is too old thing. I would rather get the right person in now, even if it means they will only be here for 8-10 years. 

I

Doesn't matter the coaches resume. If he's a former IU player some of our fans will do the mental gymnastics necessary to justify it. Does it bring added value to be a former player ? Sure it definitely is a plus but you got to have the coaching chops and record to back it up. If I could get anyone else who has a much better resume why would I settle for the guy with a dumpster fire record just because he played here.

2 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

+1

I do not follow the NBA much, but sometimes raw stats can be misleading. 

I do not get the "63" is too old thing. I would rather get the right person in now, even if it means they will only be here for 8-10 years. 

I

Leonard Hamilton is 10 years older than Woody, and he's still a pretty formidable coach...

re Bennett, someone also mentioned on the HSN board that they'd heard that Dolson had floated that name specifically by some Indiana AAU coaches. That then would support this Kendrick guy having heard something.

That having been said, I still think it's a longshot at best.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm not asking to be in the Top 50 in tempo. A Bennett lead team would need maybe an extra 10 possessions a game to be in 75ppg range. Why does that sound so crazy? Why couldn't Bennett adjust to that? If the greatest college football coach of all time can adjust to fit today's game, why can't Bennett?

Because he is one of the top 5-10 current coaches in terms of success, to suggest he adjust his ultra successful program just to appease a McChicken with bacon and cheese is comical.

Of the top 10 teams in tempo, only three rank in the top 100, only 3 of 20 are in the top 50, 15 of 20 rank 89th or worse.

While 14 of the top 20 teams rank outside of the top 100 in tempo with only 3 ranked higher than 79.

The reality is tempo is largely inversely proportional to success.

But hey tempo and personality, amIright.

Edited by iu eyedoc

4 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

Recruiting is about connections and building relationships and Woodson is phenomenal on both fronts. Assistants can help him with the rest of recruiting. High ranked kids look for a way to make the NBA (see Juwan Howard). And Indiana wants a coach that plays more of an NBA style.

Hire him as an assistant coach then. High school recruits don’t know who Mike Woodson is. IU fans under the age of 30 barely know who Mike Woodson is. Mike Woodson is a terrible candidate, to be quite honest.

Bob Knight is gone. The days of Bob Knight basketball are over. We need to figure out a way to make IU basketball a successful 21st century program, not hire a guy who will make fans feel warm and fuzzy because he reminds them of the good ole days.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hire him as an assistant coach then. High school recruits don’t know who Mike Woodson is. IU fans under the age of 30 barely know who Mike Woodson is. Mike Woodson is a terrible candidate, to be quite honest.

Bob Knight is gone. The days of Bob Knight basketball are over. We need to figure out a way to make IU basketball a successful 21st century program, not hire a guy who will make fans feel warm and fuzzy because he reminds them of the good ole days.

People know who Mike Woodson, the NBA coach, is. 

25 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

One tiny addition is that a few Indiana media types (from WISHTV, Tri-state Homepage) shared Lander's post right after he tweeted it... at 12:30 am. They added no additional info, but I always find it at least interesting when blue checkmarks share something that would otherwise be considered just rumor. More interesting than nonsense timelines being mentioned on the Peegs board, anyway.

The locals are as clueless as we are at this point. That's why they're stalking a teenager's Twitter.