Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm a big Tony Bennett fan, but ... 

1. I know the chances of him coming to IU are probably less than 5 percent. One reason is he said no several years back and I don't see him changing his mind. 

2. So that leaves no reason to continue discussing him. 

3. Because for everyone who brings him up, saying he'd be a fine hire -- LCS will seek you out and tell you that you are wrong. 

4. So that's another reason to discontinue discussing him -- unless you really wanna just give LCS something to do. 

I love Tony Bennett....bring it, LCS

9 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

So for those of us, like me who seem to be struggling to keep up with the new post volume let me know if i am missing anything

1) ND Kenrick and Lander tweeted something late last night.  Kenrick suggested it would be a Homerun hire (but we do not know who) and Lander had a emoji tweet that suggested perhaps he was happy with the secret news

2) Peegs board then started circulating information/noise that perhaps Bennett was in play.

3) A potential Wednesday announcement was mentioned but again, not sure if there has been anything to support this

4) The amazingly tough BT continues to really struggle in this tournament. Maybe Archie was even worse than we thought (that was my own addition btw)

If there is anything more or anything solid on the above and you have time to catch us up I know i would appreciate it

Number 2 didn’t happen.  Bennett name might have been brought up but not to the point to suggests he is in play 

15 minutes ago, bigrod said:

What would you say to a coach that has a 102-50 mid-major record and has had a team ranked as high as 14?

HARD PASS

• Never has made an NCAA tourney at the mid-major
  • Went 11-13 his last year at the mid-major
  • Reportedly has anger issues
  • Below average tempo
  • Made his name at the mid-major off of his Coach K association
  • Bad sportscoat attire
  • Would consider him as an assistant to Beilein 

;)

56 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

Really feel like Woodson is a serious contender now. At first I wasn't sure however he checks all the boxes. He would prove to be an excellent recruiter between selling the NBA experience and his personality. If you look at everything he offers he is an intriguing choice.

Yikes, my original post was based on an outdated tweet. Deleted it to alleviate further confusion. Sorry. 

Edited by ziggyiu

Really feel like Woodson is a serious contender now. At first I wasn't sure however he checks all the boxes. He would prove to be an excellent recruiter between selling the NBA experience and his personality. If you look at everything he offers he is an intriguing choice.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

No, he's really not an intriguing choice. Coached over 600 games in the NBA and won well under 50%. Hard pass, no thanks. Next.

Just now, bigrod said:

That's what I figured. That was Bob Knight's record when we hired him.

I was just messin' with ya.

Coach K was 9-17 in his last year at Army. Talk about a giant leap of faith. What school -- particularly a P5 school in arguably the country's best conference -- hires a coach who just went 9-17???

11 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

So for those of us, like me who seem to be struggling to keep up with the new post volume let me know if i am missing anything

1) ND Kenrick and Lander tweeted something late last night.  Kenrick suggested it would be a Homerun hire (but we do not know who) and Lander had a emoji tweet that suggested perhaps he was happy with the secret news

2) Peegs board then started circulating information/noise that perhaps Bennett was in play.

3) A potential Wednesday announcement was mentioned but again, not sure if there has been anything to support this

4) The amazingly tough BT continues to really struggle in this tournament. Maybe Archie was even worse than we thought (that was my own addition btw)

If there is anything more or anything solid on the above and you have time to catch us up I know i would appreciate it

One tiny addition is that a few Indiana media types (from WISHTV, Tri-state Homepage) shared Lander's post right after he tweeted it... at 12:30 am. They added no additional info, but I always find it at least interesting when blue checkmarks share something that would otherwise be considered just rumor. More interesting than nonsense timelines being mentioned on the Peegs board, anyway.

2 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

This isn't gospel, but Woj has tweeted that Woodson made his pitch (with Larry Brown as an assistant) and that IU is "uninterested." 

Really? Woj is reliable but IU being uninterested seems odd. Perhaps they have already made a decision going another direction. Either way sounds optimistic we here something in the next couple of days.

Just now, Scott_b said:

Really? Woj is reliable but IU being uninterested seems odd. Perhaps they have already made a decision going another direction. Either way sounds optimistic we here something in the next couple of days.

That was from the last coaching search when Archie was hired. 

6 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

Checks all the boxes?  Has never coached at the college level.  Has never recruited before.  Is old.  Proven loser at the NBA level.  What box does he check?  That he's an NBA guy?  That's worked wonders for Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, St John's, Memphis, Georgetown, etc.

tenor (13).gif