Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, lillurk said:

If I were trying to make an anti-Bennett case I’d say:

1. If you’re good, you should try to create more possessions. More opportunity for separation, for the cream to rise; less opportunity for random chance events to have outsized importance.

2. I don’t necessarily think slowing down another team’s offense is bad. But long offensive possessions are typically less efficient.

3. The packline can be effective but is more and more a relic of a bygone era when shooting %s were worse AND teams tried harder to get to the rim or were more willing to settle for two-point jumpers. Congrats to Bennett for succeeding with it but it hemorrhages corner and nail catch-and-shoot 3s, aka the shots offenses want most (aside from maybe dunks and layups).

4. Collectively, this has worked for him...mostly. Good teams lose upset tournament games for lots of reasons: random chance shooting events by either team, bad tactical matchups, injuries, under-/over-seeding. Simply being a high seed frequently means you’re good and sometimes you’ll lose to a lesser team. But stylistically, Virginia does play a style that makes them more susceptible to upsets and the outcomes sure prove it.

The only knock on Bennett is that his teams usually underachieve in the NCAA tournament. Of his eight tournament appearances at Virginia, five of them ended before the S16. Yes I know he’s won a national championship. Can’t take that away from him. Just an observation

7 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

The only knock on Bennett is that his teams usually underachieve in the NCAA tournament. Of his eight tournament appearances at Virginia, five of them ended before the S16. Yes I know he’s won a national championship. Can’t take that away from him. Just an observation

It's certainly shown the highest and the lowest of the NCAA Tourney which is crazy. 

There’s a clown on the rivals board that’s saying it’ll be Woodson. He said it’ll be announced tomorrow and he’s taking a pay cut to come to IU lol 
Well considering Woodson is likely making $250k-$500k I'd say IU is getting a discount if he's taking a pay cut. Seriously that part of the statement completely takes any credibility and chucks out of the window

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

There’s a clown on the rivals board that’s saying it’ll be Woodson. He said it’ll be announced tomorrow and he’s taking a pay cut to come to IU lol 

Pretty sure that same clown has been on here recently.

Just now, rcs29 said:

Well considering Woodson is likely making $250k-$500k I'd say IU is getting a discount if he's taking a pay cut. Seriously that part of the statement completely takes any credibility and chucks out of the window

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I know. He got called out saying NBA assistant salaries average between 100,000 and 1 million and he hasn’t responded.

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Lot of people on the Rivals board are eager to claim what day an announcement will happen, which is how I can tell their claims aren’t true.

7 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Dolson deserves a pay-cut if that's the case. I'll take some of his salary while me and Archie laugh to the bank together LOL! 

4 hours ago, Iubravos said:

You people are nuts if you wouldn't want Musselman.  He is my #1 if we can't get oats. 

I'd be happy with Drew or Beard as well.  Really hope it is one of those 3 and l think we'll be in good shape. 

Oats has had one good year at Alabama so I don't get the love for him

50 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Efficiency doesn't mean anything on tempo. Year after year they are one of the slowest teams in the nation. 

OF COURSE efficiency means something.  Teams that are efficient win.  Teams that have high temp may or may not win.  

Exactly ten of the top 50 in offensive tempo qualified for the NCAA tournament.  Meanwhile 41 of the top 50 in offensive efficiency made the dance. Best stat:  of the top 36 in efficiency exactly ONE was in the fifty fastest tempos.

There is ZERO correlation to fast tempo and winning.  

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It would be quite the failure on Dolsons part to hire him. Plain and simple. 

How would hiring Bennett a failure.   National  championship, 5 conference titles, 2 conference tournament titles and 4 sweet 16's in 10 years.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

OF COURSE efficiency means something.  Teams that are efficient win.  Teams that have high temp may or may not win.  

Exactly ten of the top 50 in offensive tempo qualified for the NCAA tournament.  Meanwhile 41 of the top 50 in offensive efficiency made the dance. Best stat:  of the top 36 in efficiency exactly ONE was in the fifty fastest tempos.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, mamasa said:

Fpeaugh also posted that it's not an IU guy. When I searched his name (was unfamiliar), a thread from 2018 came up, with someone asking why Fpeaugh hadn't been banned yet for trolling

He was one of the posters that made me to want to get off of that rivals boards.  He thought he was so well connected to the program and if anyone would argue with him he would attack you.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Oats has had one good year at Alabama so I don't get the love for him

He was exceptional at Buffalo, immediately turned around Alabama, has proven to be a very good recruiter, and runs a modern style. I understand that the buyout may be too much, but he would be my clear #2 after Stevens

What if you took what he did at UVA at the baseline for what he could do at Indiana? 

tourney 8 times and 5 of them before the S16, he's exited... what if.. at IU he could be like 3 times exited, but 1 more FF, and another E8. 

3 E8s in 8 years. 2 FFs. 1 NC 

25 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Much of the criticism of Bennett's tournament performance has been unfair and overlooks adverse circumstances.  It may be true that his style does not lend itself to tournament success, but IMO there are not enough good data points yet to prove it.  Most of his tournament losses can be explained by a combination of bad luck and/or key injury/illness.  He has only had two seasons at Virginia where he did not have a key injury or illness in the tournament, and in those two seasons he went to an Elite Eight and won a Championship.  He also won both of his first round games and went to a Sweet Sixteen in his two tournament appearances at Washington State.  Everyone can be prone to looking bad in the tournament in a small sample size.  Even Coach K lost to a 14-seed and a 15-seed in the span of 3 years.  I bet that in 20 years Bennett's tournament success will make the early exits look more like aberrations than the rule.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Quite honestly tempo doesn't win at all in March.. not in the IN HS tourney, not in March Madness. Not wanting TB is confusing to me. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Quite honestly tempo doesn't win at all in March.. not in the IN HS tourney, not in March Madness. Not wanting TB is confusing to me. 

100%. NCAA is played in the half court not in transition. Especially the further into the tournament you get.