Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Tony Bennett. But he said no in 2008 -- word back then was he wasn't comfortable with the 'fishbowl' that is IU. I live in Virginia, so have seen him for a while and I think he'd be fine -- he's personable and is very well-spoken whereas Archie seemed to be quiet, focused and almost shy (not sure that's the right word -- but he doesn't appear comfortable in the spotlight).

But unless Bennett has had a change of heart, I don't see it happening. 

Of course, I know absolutely nothing. Just my opinion. 

I agree, it seems unlikely. BUT..you really can't blame him for saying no in 2008. The program was an absolute dumpster fire. And while most people love to hate Tom Crean, I am glad he was able to steer the program out of that mess.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Tony Bennett. But he said no in 2008 -- word back then was he wasn't comfortable with the 'fishbowl' that is IU. I live in Virginia, so have seen him for a while and I think he'd be fine -- he's personable and is very well-spoken, whereas Archie seemed to be quiet, focused and almost shy (not sure that's the right word -- but he doesn't appear comfortable in the spotlight).

But unless Bennett has had a change of heart, I don't see it happening. 

Of course, I know absolutely nothing. Just my opinion. 

I also do not think that it is Bennett because of this: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/17/why-uva-basketball-coach-tony-bennett-turned-down-a-raise.html He gets over $5 million per year which includes extra bonuses. And he turned down a raise.  That plus IU AD said innovative.

Just now, normandale97 said:

I didn't. Kendrick did. Maybe he's looking at the guy that rebuilt Michigan and won 2 big10 regular season titles, 2 big10 tournament titles and went to 2 final fours and considers him a home run. 

Well given the only thing we know is kendrick thinks it is a home run hire, people would think someone guessing beilein would mean they believe he fits the clues.

Do you have any reason to believe it is beilein?  I'd rather it be someone that could be around for a while but i guess we could do worse. 

Just now, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I find this train of thought fascinating by our fan base. You don't like his style of play? His style of play has won multiple ACC Titles and a National Title. Would you not want the same results here? 

I said I look at basketball as entertainment. I never said he wasn't a good coach and doesn't win. There are other coaches that play a fun, fast paced game that win. That's what I would like to watch, that's all. I want to see the Hurriyn' Hoosiers. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I find this train of thought fascinating by our fan base. You don't like his style of play? His style of play has won multiple ACC Titles and a National Title. Would you not want the same results here? 

I'd be thrilled with his results but I'd be lying if I said that I'd find his style aesthetically pleasing. Even when we won under Archie's style the games were painful to watch a lot of the time. But, I just want to win and win a lot, so I'd be happy to have Bennett. 

Beilein makes the most sense to me if all these disparate rumors are linked and true. He is an innovative guy offensively, has NBA experience now, etc. Recruited Lander. And unlike Bennett or Beard, which would be pretty fast hires given when they were eliminated, Beilein's timeline works better here after Stevens spurned us. 

That having been said, Beilein is still my 6th choice, but if it's a done deal that's the best guess right now, I think.

5 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

What candidate would get Lander excited enough to Tweet that? That's where my mind is at. Then again, he agreed to play for Archie so :/

Here's the problem with not just the IU fanbase, but people in general in the era of social media. There is no guarantee that a Tweet from one of our players is in any way referencing a coaching change. It might, but it also might not. We have to move past this connecting of dots that may not be connected in the first place.

I don't understand those who are preaching tempo and wanting guys like Oats because of their offensive style.  Alabama was in or near the top 10 in tempo, but they only scored a few ppg more than Michigan.

Would anyone be disappointed with a Michigan style offense?  They ranked 259th in temp this year.  Guess who ranked 206th, a full 53 spots ahead of them?  That's right, Archie Miller's Hoosiers.  They felt so much slower because they were so inefficient.

RMK's teams were near the top of the B1G in scoring because of efficiency, not tempo.  Efficiency is what matters.

Bennett's teams are slow but at least they are modern in terms of shot selection. They ran a lot of 5 out offenses this year. They are consistently great shooting teams and take a high percentage of theirs shots from three which is a big difference from Archie. I think there's a reason that Bennett has been able to have top 20 offensive efficiency teams the last 5 years. 

The style of play stuff always amazes me.  I could care less about style of play.  I care about Ws.  Play any style you want but get Ws.  Playing hard.  Make adjustments.  Have a good relationship with players.  Those things are way more important that a style of offense.