Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Chris Mack's team shot worse than Archie's team last year. No thank you. 

Bring Archie back then?! I'm all for it! (For another year, until Tatum asks for a trade and Brad comes home) 

But I get that. He runs the packline defense as well. 

Just now, Treesh said:

Bring Archie back then?! I'm all for it! (For another year, until Tatum asks for a trade and Brad comes home) 

I think I have less issues with the packline than the offense. I really want to see a good shooting team again. You can't play slow and also be a terrible shooting team. 

Just now, Treesh said:

So did Stevens, Matta, Moser and many more.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Yep both Mack and Beard are big personality guys. I think they're even better than Stevens in that department... need someone who can be more than a coach and the face of a program. 

I think they have personalities that people would respect as well as players. I think Mussleman has too much of a personality which could drive boosters crazy. He's really boosted the social media and press coverage for Arkansas basketball. He's made that a priority at Arkansas and it's working in his favor. Just another reason why I don't think Arkansas let's him walk. 

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

I think I have less issues with the packline than the offense. I really want to see a good shooting team again. You can't play slow and also be a terrible shooting team. 

My biggest problem with the packline is if the team is hot from 3 you can get absolutely torn apart. Obviously works well for Bennett, but man can some games get ugly.

1 minute ago, hoosierbannerd said:

So according to the Dolson presser, if I understood it correctly- he is looking for a more "up tempo" style offense correct? I would be fine with that. The B1G needs to change with the times- they beat the sh*t out of each other during the season, then in the tourney; crap the bed for the most part.

So if that's the case, who are we talking about?

As time has gone on and I read (too much) into all the rumors, I have started to believe his comments about style of play (fast-paced, modern, a system players want to play in, etc) indicate he wants NBA experience. With the BS rumors followed by credible sources talking up Woodson, and whatever is happening now seeming to be off-timed with the tournament, it still tracks. Doesn't mean it can't be a Beilein or another "college guy" who has NBA experience. But that's my hunch based on those comments.

8 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

This is why people laugh at IU fans. Bennett is one of the most successful coaches in the NCAA. I think there's zero shot we get one of the few coaches that have won a title but saying he'd be a failure to get is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. 

Hey, Hey, Hey.... Let's not lump millions of people into a category because of one or even a couple bad opinions on a chat board full of die hard fans. 

7 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

As time has gone on and I read (too much) into all the rumors, I have started to believe his comments about style of play (fast-paced, modern, a system players want to play in, etc) indicate he wants NBA experience. With the BS rumors followed by credible sources talking up Woodson, and whatever is happening now seeming to be off-timed with the tournament, it still tracks. Doesn't mean it can't be a Beilein or another "college guy" who has NBA experience. But that's my hunch based on those comments.

Billy Donavan! 

:D

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

Happy to be wrong, but I don't see why Bennett would take the job at this point. Not only the sister issue, but he's now fully established as a national championship coach in Charlottesville. Don't see the motivation for him to start over at this point.

My thinking for Drew, Beard, and even Mussleman to a certain extent. They haven't won national championships of course but they have pretty good gigs. 

18 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

This is why people laugh at IU fans. Bennett is one of the most successful coaches in the NCAA. I think there's zero shot we get one of the few coaches that have won a title but saying he'd be a failure to get is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. 

Agreed. 

If you can't get behind a Bennett hire then you are beyond delusional. 

19 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

It's not as dumb as that Becky Harmon crap. I mean come on people. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Tony Bennett. But he said no in 2008 -- word back then was he wasn't comfortable with the 'fishbowl' that is IU. I live in Virginia, so have seen him for a while and I think he'd be fine -- he's personable and is very well-spoken, whereas Archie seemed to be quiet, focused and almost shy (not sure that's the right word -- but he doesn't appear comfortable in the spotlight).

But unless Bennett has had a change of heart, I don't see it happening. 

Of course, I know absolutely nothing. Just my opinion. 

Just now, Iubravos said:

It's not as dumb as that Becky Harmon crap. I mean come on people. 

Hey. I’m just saying at some point you might have to steer into the skid. Dare to be (totally) different. Make your own headlines. And any other cliched phrase you can dream up. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Agreed. 

If you can't get behind a Bennett hire then you are beyond delusional. 

I'm not delusional and I don't want Bennett. It's just personal preference. I look at basketball as entertainment and his style to me is not entertaining. Is he a good coach? Absolutely, I just don't like watching his teams play.