Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Shooting percentages have not increased but went way down

No stats to back this up, but it seems to me free throw %'s are not what they used to be.

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

I am at work cant catch up who do we think the home run hire is now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The latest news on IU AD's new HC basketball coach: https://saturdaytradition.com/indiana-football/report-two-new-names-attached-to-indiana-basketballs-coaching-search/  In this linked article Matta is a possibility.  Bozich relates that Woodson interviewed with the AD. I speculate that Woodson is not part of Plan B.  Matta just may be. Pitino is out, Stevens is out, Oats is out.

Lots of buzz for Beard by fans.  But I don't see it.  Lots of buzz for the flavor of the weekend like Musselman and ORU's coach...Bennett is hot on this board and others.

Khristen Lander tweeted: Happiness is coming.   Maybe he and his family know something.  What?  Maybe Lander has gotten positive feedback from a coaching search prospect; or has a new love; I hope that he is happy at IU. Some buzz about a rumor by a guy who knows Lander that alleges something like: That is great news!  ..Only thing that comes to mind out of Evansville is Calbert Cheaney.  For an example just look north to what is going on recently in Michigan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calbert_Cheaney

I speculate that IU will get Matta, Bennett or less likely, Cheaney.   Thad Matta is living in Indy and has had a bad back. He hasn't coached in a few years because of that.  I just cannot get excited about Beilein for a number of reasons.  Cheaney would be risky.  But so would anyone else...including Brad Stevens.

Other than that...all quiet on the western front.  I speculate that no IU guy will be HC at IU in the short run.  Maybe Matta as HC and Woodson as assistant.

The transition staff of 3 coaches is just that.  Wonder if any of them will stay after the new HC is hired.

And this tidbit from OSU's Eleven Warriors: 

NO, PLEASE. I'm not sure I could draw up a bigger punch in the d**

k to follow a first-round exit than the program's all-time winningest coach un-retiring to coach a conference rival just days later, but folks, that might be where we're at!

That would be Matta, who directed Ohio State to a pair of NCAA Final Fours while winning 5 Big Ten regular-season championships and 4 Big Ten Tournaments with the Buckeyes. Matta gave Stevens his first coaching job at Butler in 2000.

Matta, 53, stepped away from Ohio State in 2017 because of health issues and a declining record. Although Matta has been mentioned for openings at UCLA, Georgia, Pittsburgh and other schools, he has remained out of the game for four seasons, living north of Indianapolis.

If Matta was the choice, he could start this week.

I'll say this, the annual "will Thad Matta return to coaching?" dance is a hell of a lot less fun when the team in question will have to compete with my team on the court and in recruiting every year.

Then again, there's nothing Indiana's basketball program (or athletic department as a whole, for that matter) has done in my life that would lead me to believe they're about to make a good hire, so I guess I'll just trust the process here.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

2 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

If it's something and Kendrick and Lander know then we are talking Calbert or Brad Brownell. Or they could both just be having some fun with the IUBB fans. 

Or the team is aware of who it is and Lander is Kendrick is aware. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Or the team is aware of who it is and Lander is Kendrick is aware. 

I am not sure I buy this thought process.  I cannot imagine any Athletic Director letting a bunch of social media connected teenagers and young 20 somethings know anything of importance until immediately before they are releasing it to the public.  

Heck, most adults can't keep anything secret let alone a 19 year old.  :) 

4 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I am not sure I buy this thought process.  I cannot imagine any Athletic Director letting a bunch of social media connected teenagers and young 20 somethings know anything of importance until immediately before they are releasing it to the public.  

Heck, most adults can't keep anything secret let alone a 19 year old.  :) 

I can see the team being the first to know. Honestly, I would expect them to be the first to know. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I can see the team being the first to know. Honestly, I would expect them to be the first to know. 

I can see that too, but literally right before the announcement is being made.  If there was a press conference scheduled for this morning, I would agree with you.

That tweet could be anything from Lander. Honestly, a transfer wouldn't surprise me. Would sure stink to lose him. He has the highest potential on this team. 

If you’re not in transfer portal, you cannot talk to other teams. I have seen zero news saying he is in transfer portal, so at the moment, I will assume he not talking about a transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk