Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, sirhoosierlot said:

I might catch hell for it but I like this Porter Moser dude. Movement on offense and no gimmick defense. Understand why people wouldn’t like the hire though. 

And I suspect he doesn't have a bunch of 5* recruits on his recruiting list. Probably doesn't have a bunch of 4's either. 

Sure knows how to motivate kids though.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Musselman has a 70% winning percentage in college. I’d take that any day.

Musselman was run out of the NBA. Not a deal killer but something to look into. And he has one 20 win season in a P5 conf. 

His record at Nevada is nice, but its MM success. Alford was .750 at New Mexico. Shaka .740 at VCU. So on and so forth.  

Not a bad candidate, but it’s essentially betting on a MM darling again. 

I just hope the new contract for the next coach has some incentives built into it, rather than a huge guaranteed salary, as it's been in the past.

Example:

$1-3 mil a year salary. +$250k for Big Ten championship, +$250k for Sweet 16, $500k for FF, and $1M for NCC

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Musselman was run out of the NBA. Not a deal killer but something to look into. And he has one 20 win season in a P5 conf. 

His record at Nevada is nice, but its MM success. Alford was .750 at New Mexico. Shaka .740 at VCU. So on and so forth.  

It’s a lot different to hire a coach who gets programs quickly to or near their historic peak WITH good underlying advanced metrics than it is to hire a guy with one Elite 8 and middling metrics

12 minutes ago, sirhoosierlot said:

I might catch hell for it but I like this Porter Moser dude. Movement on offense and no gimmick defense. Understand why people wouldn’t like the hire though. 

I feel this. They run good offense and they have better guys than you’d ever expect at ULC. Same was true when they went to the F4. I worry about the rest of his resume. 

The Smart article was not posted as a position of support from me as a HC. Only to show that every person is looking for something different. All of our opinions are “arbitrary” as it relates to this search. There is no guarantee with hiring a new HC. The winners that came before this current search did not pan out and RMK went 11-13 in his last year before moving to Bloomington.

I personally don’t think we need a former IU player leading the team, but another coach on the bench would certainly be great (Lewis and Smart are at the top of my list).

None of us are SD, but we should trust that he is every bit of the fan that we all are and then some. He’s going to make the hire that he feels is best for the program and we all need to support that decision. I’m confident that whomever he hires will outperform Archie (low bar) and embrace the Bloomington bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

I feel this. They run good offense and they have better guys than you’d ever expect at ULC. Same was true when they went to the F4. I worry about the rest of his resume. 

Can he recruit at IU or against the big boys is my only concern. Love his style though 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Can he recruit at IU or against the big boys is my only concern. Love his style though 

Yeah good question. If you can pair high level recruiting with his eye for talent and scheme you can really get humming.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Appears there's not a whole lot wrong with his recruiting right now. Taking a B1G #1 seed to the woodshed in the 1st half. Game's not over, but it's going to be closer than many of us thought I bet.

Hard to argue with the level of competition he has coached against in CBB prior to his Arkansas gig, but an NBA record is not indicative of the success a coach can have at the collegiate level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

In one of the podcasts this week, sorry there have been too many to credit correctly, I believe Ryan Phillips compared Muss to Jim Harbaugh's tenure at Stanford and with the Niners.  He mentioned that he produces immediate results, but has a grating personality that will run its course over time.  Again this was one perspective, but I thought I could see it holding meriting based on some of Muss's television antics e.g. 'squeeze Colgate', shirts off, etc.

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

yeah that's why i'm leery of him too, but i don't have a real baseline of his previous tenures. Looks like everywhere, except Illinois State his teams have improved every year. 

Scott is a smart man. If I'm getting Crean vibes from him then Scott is getting those too.

Wining is cool, yeah. But if we wanted to win and go dancing then we never should've fired Crean.

Just be mediocre. I think Mussleman would make us mediocre. Arkansas fans wanted his head on a spike last year and this year and they are okay with him. If they advance pass the Sweet 16, expect a contract extension from my knowledge. 

Arkansas does enjoy their basketball. They won't just let Mussleman walk away. 

He’s recruiting players that are good enough to be up nine at the half against the best team in the B1G ... in the tournament.
That’s kinda good, right?

I think what may be overlooked is he has his kids playing well in this game. I believe getting your kids up for the ncaa single elimination game is good but to be elite night in night out and competing in the big 10 you need more talented kids. Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I think what may be overlooked is he has his kids playing well in this game. I believe getting your kids up for the ncaa single elimination game is good but to be elite night in night out and competing in the big 10 you need more talented kids. Just my opinion

How about 36 hours ago when they beat a mid level ACC team. How about a couple years ago when they went to the Final Four?

It’s more than one game without question.

How about 36 hours ago when they beat a mid level ACC team. How about a couple years ago when they went to the Final Four?
It’s more than one game without question.
I meant all tournament games. I just feel if loyola went through same schedule this year illinois did they may not even be in the tournament. Just guessing and we will never know. You make a great point though maybe they are just that good and it's all the coach.

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

They are 25-4 this year before the tourney. Their conf is not the B1G, but 25-4 is a good record anywhere. Gonzaga is in a sub standard conf too (compared to B1G, but nobody is trashing them. 

Not saying you are trashing them, but all of us have watched good ball and bad ball. Loyola plays good ball.

They are 25-4 this year before the tourney. Their conf is not the B1G, but 25-4 is a good record anywhere. Gonzaga is in a sub standard conf too (compared to B1G, but nobody is trashing them. 
Not saying you are trashing them, but all of us have watched good ball and bad ball. Loyola plays good ball.
Yes I am definitely not trashing them. They are a good team. Just saying the big 10 with trash referees you need to recruit talent. Only other big 10 team they played this year was Wisconsin who defeated them handily. That was early on though in the season.

30 minutes ago, str8baller said:

It only took him 2 seasons to get that 20 win season as well. Meaning it doesn’t take him 4 years to get his team to a quality level.