Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again-there is no way Scott Dolson is actually going from offering Brad Stevens 7+ million dollars a year to offering Mike Woodson the job. Mike has a 46% winning percentage in over 600 games as a head coach in the NBA. If he wasn’t an IU guy he wouldn’t even be a blip on our radar. There is no way Dolson can be that dumb. He just can’t be. If the job is going to an IU guy it has to be Fife with a strong staff of assistants.

Edited by madmax

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again-there is no way Scott Dolson is actually going from offering Brad Stevens 7+ million dollars a year to offering Mike Woodson the job. Mike has a 46% winning percentage in over 600 games as a head coach in the NBA. If he wasn’t an IU guy he wouldn’t even be a blip on our radar. There is no way Dolson can be that dumb. He just can’t be. If the job is going to an IU guy it has to be Fife with a strong staff of assistants.

In the same vein, no way Dolson got a booster to pony up 10 million for a buyout and to settle on Woodson. Even after the Stevens whiff, I can’t see it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good perspective here from an SI writer on why Keith Smart should be considered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/indiana/.amp/basketball/tom-brew-one-indiana-coaching-candidate-checks-all-boxes-keith-smart

The unicorn some of you are looking for does not exist. Where do we flex? What are the true must haves? What is IU basketball? It’s 2021 and we’ve been mostly irrelevant for the better part of 20 years. Let’s get behind Dolson and let him do the job he is clearly qualified for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Without any research, I’m a no as head coach. Can’t imagine Dolson winning the press conference announcing him as head coach.

Same, I could buy him as a nice assistant pick.

Summed up perfectly with this passage:

“Dolson means business here, and he needs to swing for the fences until he lands a legitimate top prospect.

That means no more hiring mid-major coaches on a budget with your fingers crossed.

And that means no hiring fellow “IU Guys” to desperately grasp for a past that is long, long gone.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, madmax said:

He took over two awful franchises and had higher winning percentages than the guy before and after. Look at the coaches who hired him as an assistant. Some of the best coaches in the NBA continually hire him as part of their staff. His resume craps on guys like Smart and Mussleman.  

In the NBA you don’t get to choose your players. Stevens will likely be under .500 this year and it’s due to roster. Woodson has taken over crappy rosters and coached them up as well as anyone. It is why hes respected around the league. 

At 63 and not having coached in college, I don’t particularly want him either. But people crapping on his resume or coaching chops don’t know what they are talking about. 

It’s fine if you don’t want him as coach, but what’s with hating on an alum who is well respected in NBA coaching circles?

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier said:

Good perspective here from an SI writer on why Keith Smart should be considered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/indiana/.amp/basketball/tom-brew-one-indiana-coaching-candidate-checks-all-boxes-keith-smart

The unicorn some of you are looking for does not exist. Where do we flex? What are the true must haves? What is IU basketball? It’s 2021 and we’ve been mostly irrelevant for the better part of 20 years. Let’s get behind Dolson and let him do the job he is clearly qualified for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m sorry, but that article is terrible and most of the boxes are arbitrary. 

Oh sure, I'd love it if Brad Stevens would leave the Boston Celtics, based on his track record at Butler and his state of Indiana ties, but even he doesn't check all those boxes, mostly the last two. And all the other names that get mentioned this week -- John Beilein, Rick Pitino, Chris Beard, Scott Drew -- can't check a lot of these boxes either.”

If a guy with a 35% winning percentage in the NBA and zero college coaching experience checks all your boxes but Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, Scott Drew, and John Beilein don’t, your boxes are crap. This writer picked the candidate he wanted and then made up the criteria to try to justify it.

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Musselman has a 70% winning percentage in college. I’d take that any day.

Can’t overstate how impressive he’s been. 4 years at Nevada, the last 3 are among the best in school history. Then they hired Alford and they’re mediocre again.

Arkansas has a better history than Nevada but in year 2 he has them at a level only prime Nolan Richardson and Eddie Sutton ever got.

Edited by lillurk
Eddie Sutton. I erroneously had Lon Kruger

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m sorry, but that article is terrible and most of the boxes are arbitrary. 

Oh sure, I'd love it if Brad Stevens would leave the Boston Celtics, based on his track record at Butler and his state of Indiana ties, but even he doesn't check all those boxes, mostly the last two. And all the other names that get mentioned this week -- John Beilein, Rick Pitino, Chris Beard, Scott Drew -- can't check a lot of these boxes either.”

If a guy with a 35% winning percentage in the NBA and zero college coaching experience checks all your boxes but Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, Scott Drew, and John Beilein don’t, your boxes are crap. This writer picked the candidate he wanted and then made up the criteria to try to justify it.

Not only that, but two of his boxes were RMK approval and the former players' approval. Knight and the former players wouldn't approve of Stevens? That's asinine. I mean -- he's not coming, but to say Smart checks boxes Stevens doesn't is just ridiculous. The only box Smart could check that Stevens can't would be as a former player. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Musselman has a 70% winning percentage in college. I’d take that any day.

Yeah, Musselman would be a great hire. He's won 75% of his games in college and won his conference three years in a row at Nevada. @str8baller no one is hating on Woodson the person, we're hating on the idea of him as our next head coach... because it would be a bad idea.