Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I get what people are saying but this isn’t the scenario. It would be more like you wanted to apply for the job but they didn’t let you b/c the one the wanted was the other person. All the employees of the company were ecstatic about this other person coming and made it known. A bunch of industry folks were talking about this other person coming to to take the job. The company and its employees were all in on the other person. The other person didn’t take it. You are extremely successful at your current job and compensated very well. Your coworkers love you and don’t want you to leave. Your company performs better than the other one. Is the other job as attractive as you thought it was? 

Touche my friend. Valid points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no reason in the world why IU should not end up with an excellent experienced coach.   I know that IU has been in a slump for the last 20 years, blah, blah, blah.  The bottom line is the potential that programs have.  Don't judge IU by where we are now.  If we were at the top of the heap we would have coaches pounding down the ADs door.  That may not be the case but IU is far from being a lost cause.  This is a school with 5 national championships.  We rank 10th in the history of the college basketball in wins.  We are 6th in number if invites to the NCAA tourney.  We are 7th in all time NCAA tourney wins.  In short IU is a school that has produced in the past and certainly has the potential to produce again in the future.  We have been there and got the job done in the past.

So where do we rank in the pecking order for coaches?  Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Duke are holy grail schools.  The coaches there either retire or get carried out feet first.  EVERYONE wants one of those four jobs.  Twenty years ago Indiana and UCLA would have probably been listed in that group of bluebloods.

Beneath that bunch are the destination schools which have proven in the past that they are capable of producing champions.  All have at least two NCAA titles, or have many tourney bids, or many tourney wins, or rank highly on the all time wins list.  Most have a combo of those characteristics.  These schools, while not all successful at present, have the track record to be dominate schools.  All are looking for successful winning coaches that can hold or bring back the glory.  The list includes Syracuse, Temple, UCLA, Notre Dame, St Johns, Indiana, Cincinnati, Villanova, NC State, Louisville, Michigan State, Connecticut and probably Ohio State.  If you want to throw in a few more or subtract a couple be my guest.  My point is that the coaches from these schools never volunteer to leave for another school unless they are fired or are hired by a "holy grail" school.  That is what makes them destination schools.

IU is just looking for the right hire.  since Knight we have had Davis (who had the job drop in his lap), Sampson (who could coach but was a cheat), Crean (who was better than a lot want to believe but couldn't do the job consistently) and Miller (who was obviously over his head).  In every case it was a bad hire for various reasons.  The right guy is out there.  I just know it in my bones.  I don't care who it is.  I just want a kick @$$ hire that will come in and build this program back up to where it should be and then stay the course from there.  I think we all want the same.  I pray we get it right this time.  I'm getting too old to wait forever.  There are plenty of coaches out there that would die for a call from the IU AD.  I just hope he picks the right one this time.

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

My biggest fear now is that going all in on BS (which I’m glad we gave it a shot) ends up backfiring with other candidates. Anybody connected with basketball has watched this play out to some extent. It’s no secret our choice was Brad Stevens and the entire fan base was behind it. Will other top coaches who may have had interest now hesitate knowing they are at best the distant second choice and that they’ll never be Brad Stevens? 

How much have you heard outside of the "in the know" on here? If you are coaching Baylor, TT, Bama, Vill, I don't think B'town Banners is on your radar. There has been zero national news about the IU job. We are circling in our own self important universe the rest of the NCAA, outside of PUke fans, couldn't give a sh1t about. It won't be a problem.

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

How much have you heard outside of the "in the know" on here? If you are coaching Baylor, TT, Bama, Vill, I don't think B'town Banners is on your radar. There has been zero national news about the IU job. We are circling in our own self important universe the rest of the NCAA, outside of PUke fans, couldn't give a sh1t about. It won't be a problem.

See my other post. It’s not just chatter here. There were plenty of national media talking about the possibility of BS coming to IU. Plenty of social media chatter. People in college hoops circles (like coaches agents) will be well aware.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

UCLA said the same thing... 

They got their 5th option. 

Well, if IU has the same list that we do, the 5th option would still be a very solid hire. UCLA finished 2nd in their conference last year and made the tournament this year, so it’s not all bad.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

See my other post. It’s not just chatter here. There were plenty of national media talking about the possibility of BS coming to IU. Plenty of social media chatter. People in college hoops circles (like coaches agents) will be well aware.

Coaches aren’t going to care. They’ll think the same think that most in the media thought - that there’s no way someone leaves one of the best NBA franchises for a college job. Fans wanting Brad isn’t going to keep coaches away.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Coaches aren’t going to care. They’ll think the same think that most in the media thought - that there’s no way someone leaves one of the best NBA franchises for a college job. Fans wanting Brad isn’t going to keep coaches away.

So far nobody has really agreed with me. Which is making me feel better. I’ll back a few steps away from the ledge. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes ... he’s going to win!

Johnny? Show him what he’s won...

Why it’s a SHOW CAUSE!”

I know. Realistically it probably be Nate Oats or someone like that. 

Just now, FightFor6 said:

Musselman vs Beard on Sunday will be a closely watched game.

Four years ago, Wichita State (Marshall) played Dayton (Archie) in the first round. I thought there was a real possibility we might get one of those coaches. We did, although it didn't turn out all that well. 

Maybe we'll get one from Sunday's game -- and it'll turn out significantly better! 

We keep seeing Stevens was 1A, Beard is 1B, and Beilein is the fallback option. I like where we stand. 

I hope Dolson had feelers out to others. So many times schools get played like this that it would have been good to have been in contact with plan B and C before today. Not bothered that he went big after Brad but now we need to see who we are.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

It may not. I hope it doesn’t. But it wasn’t just message board chatter. Plenty is social media chatter with national media chiming in. Any other coach’s circle will be aware that we put all our eggs in the Stevens basket. They may not care. But if I’ve got things going at another school, I’d be hesitant to take over a place that I know everyone wanted someone else to that degree.

If anything it says we are serious about hiring a basketball coach. I would think the effort would make the job more attractive, not less.