Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Maybe we can all agree that should be a rarity though? I'm all for role-players and niche guys, but somebody should be able shoot on day 1 and not need 2+ yrs of development to knock down open shots. 

I still hope whoever the next coach is utilizes the red-shirt. It ain't sexy and it won't thrill many recruits, but it does work. As I've said before, freaking Wisconsin rolls out some un-known dork Junior Big man every other year and he ends up all B1G because he developed for three years. 

Oh. no... I dont agree with that. You just contradicted yourself big time. In one instance you want guys who can shoot from day 1, on the other you want guys getting developed from dorks to All Big Ten players. 

I guess I'm confused. So you aren't interested in someone like Geronimo? 

Roosevelt Jones won A LOT of games at Butler. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oh. no... I dont agree with that. You just contradicted yourself big time. In one instance you want guys who can shoot from day 1, on the other you want guys getting developed from dorks to All Big Ten players. 

I guess I'm confused. So you aren't interested in someone like Geronimo? 

Roosevelt Jones won A LOT of games at Butler. 

Yeah I didn't make my point well. I'm saying EVERYONE can't be a project. Development works (as per my example) but you need skilled guys too. Someone has to produce while the couple of projects are coming around. Talent wins, but there is always room for hard-working, gritty guys that play with heart and earned everything they have. My hope for IU is to have both. Some 5 star headliners supported by run through the wall try-hards that have maximized their talent. 

I am interested in Geronimo and Galloway, etc, but not 4-5 of them at once or you are really limiting your team. 

Archie only wanted 10-11 Scholarship players. I think that was idiotic. He should have had 1-2 red-shirting and preparing for the future. Again, that isn't gonna be popular in our immediate gratification culture, but it still works.  

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah agree. To say it's something you have or you don't have... is false though. 

I think perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Yes, players can develop a shot, but there's a big difference, in my opinion, between someone who can learn to knock down a shot, and someone who is a shooter. Joe Hillman could hit a shot. Rob Phinisee can hit a shot. Calbert Cheney, Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, & even Yogi Ferrell were shooters.

Just now, TrueHoosier62 said:

I think perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Yes, players can develop a shot, but there's a big difference, in my opinion, between someone who can learn to knock down a shot, and someone who is a shooter. Joe Hillman could hit a shot. Rob Phinisee can hit a shot. Calbert Cheney, Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, & even Yogi Ferrell were shooters.

I mentioned in a later post we needed a dead eye. But ... Franklin shot 42% and Durham 38%.. the problem though? They only shot a combined 8 a game. They should be shooting like 8 a piece. You can't have 2 and 3 guys on the court that can't shoot at all RP, RT, and TJD. Replace RP 26% with 36% and RT 20% with 35% and everything changes. 

2 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

To me pure shooters are born and not made.  You can take a bad shooter into a good shooter but a guy like Alford was born with the touch.  He worked hard on his shot to make it even better but I feel he was born to shoot a ball.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me pure shooters are born and not made.  You can take a bad shooter into a good shooter but a guy like Alford was born with the touch.  He worked hard on his shot to make it even better but I feel he was born to shoot a ball.

Precisely. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Shooting the basketball is a skill. Skills are developed. I have a kid right now that shot 38% from 3 as a SO on 5.5 attempts a game. 

He probably takes 1,500 shots a week. Purest form you'll ever see. 

Jordy Hulls didn't shoot a 3 until 8th grade. Developed. 

Yogi Ferrell didn't play AAU at young ages. He was developing his skills. 

57 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

Jay Edwards was a pure shooter. One of the sweetest shots Ive ever seen.

Decided to put this here: 

Reddit insider guys update,

Reddit’s IUsleeping giant finally made an update on some post about the Dan Patrick Show(claims the next Coach will have Knight Ties). It was some riddle or confusing statement. IUBBInsider has remained quiet about Stevens and hasn’t updated in 2 days.

4 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Decided to put this here: 

Reddit insider guys update,

Reddit’s IUsleeping giant finally made an update on some post about the Dan Patrick Show(claims the next Coach will have Knight Ties). It was some riddle or confusing statement. IUBBInsider has remained quiet about Stevens and hasn’t updated in 2 days.

you mean the egg statement? thats just him saying the media is going to look bad for all the stuff they have been saying about the search

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Shooting the basketball is a skill. Skills are developed. I have a kid right now that shot 38% from 3 as a SO on 5.5 attempts a game. 

He probably takes 1,500 shots a week. Purest form you'll ever see. 

Jordy Hulls didn't shoot a 3 until 8th grade. Developed. 

Yogi Ferrell didn't play AAU at young ages. He was developing his skills. 

As a former player I will say that one important “born with it” aspect is the mental ability to make shots. I played with (and to some degree was) guys who would hit all the shots with perfect form in an empty gym and in practice...come game time the speed was too much, couldn’t settle the nerves and didn’t hit for percentage as a result. Maybe not at this level though, but was just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

As a former player I will say that one important “born with it” aspect is the mental ability to make shots. I played with (and to some degree was) guys who would hit all the shots with perfect form in an empty gym and in practice...come game time the speed was too much, couldn’t settle the nerves and didn’t hit for percentage as a result. Maybe not at this level though, but was just a thought. 

Oh gotta be game speed. We preach it a lot. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I mentioned in a later post we needed a dead eye. But ... Franklin shot 42% and Durham 38%.. the problem though? They only shot a combined 8 a game. They should be shooting like 8 a piece. You can't have 2 and 3 guys on the court that can't shoot at all RP, RT, and TJD. Replace RP 26% with 36% and RT 20% with 35% and everything changes. 

The problem had a lot to do with CAM devaluing the outside game. We clearly had guys who could hit shots. But we shot at the bottom of the conference from outside the arc because CAM devalued outside shooting. In a way he’s a throwback coach and it killed us especially when Brunk went down at the start of the season leaving our front court uber thin and over-played. 

Edited by HoosierHoopster

Hey DWB. I don’t think it’s just you, and imo it’s a good question. So the cop out answer is, first, it depends - depends on who we get. It is a cop out but also I think right. It takes a certain type of coach and the right fit to get the most out of an existing roster.

Think we’ll need a strong transfer or 2 but worth remembering we haven’t seen Parker Stewart play yet, and I would absolutely bet on Lander having a much stronger season with this one behind him, a full summer of conditioning and on age and body being an actual college kid, he’ll be stronger, bigger and experienced. He’s an exceptional talent, number one ranked point guard n his class — he’ll no longer be hamstrung by his age. All those guys, and Hunter, will play bigger roles - how much they / the team needs to be turned around remains to be seen 

Edited by HoosierHoopster

Caught the tail end of Dan Patrick talking about the IU opening on his show this morning. I just went back and listened to the whole segment. He said his "source" -- he has a lot of sources who supply varying degrees of accurate information -- told him Scott Drew wasn't coming, but that Tony Bennett and Chris Beard were on the list. 

Dan also said Brad Stevens wasn't coming -- but that was only based on Brad's weak denial the other day. 

I have to wonder about the reliability of his source, because I pretty much haven't seen Bennett's name connected to this job anywhere. And I know I'm probably a party of one, but Bennett would be my No. 1 choice -- even over Stevens. So I would have noticed. And IUwins or Chris said they had first-hand knowledge that Drew is very interested. 

3 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Agree 110%. IU has plenty of athletes who can hit shots, but no shooters.

Well, now who we got? Lol. 
It is what it is, not sense of swimming in a pool of misery. Lets move on and focus on some really good candidates! With Stevens seemingly off the board, I guess we will see if it’s an already available former college coach or someone still in the tourney. Will be an interesting next couple of weeks for sure. 
Go IU!!!

On 3/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, Josh said:

This site is on the brink of legendary status or failure.  The misfortunes of another site has delivered many new faces just as we're talking about Brad Stevens as our next coach.  If he does become coach, this site will supplant all others.  If he does not, this site will be a Stevens punchline.

Transformative times.  I'm glad I'm here to see it.

Uh oh