Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

lol when you're broke and find a penny on the ground you're up 1,000%. haha

Kidding aside I think Glass did well with the baseball and football stadium. As a fan of Architecture I think there may have been a better way to handle the assembly hall upgrades. 

I think if Dolson lands Brad the opinion on Glass changes a bit. The thing I would judge Glass on are his original ideas..

Enhancing facilities was started by Greenspan before so he shouldn't be judged on that.

Fred's original ideas: Designing IU's uniforms, the Student Athlete Bill of Rights, extending Tom Crean, Hiring Archie. He seems to fail every time he had an original idea. He has a couple wins, don't get me wrong, but his misses were huge.  

You literally don’t know what you’re talking about in regards to what Glass accomplished or didn’t accomplish here. 

46 minutes ago, Brooks said:

I would be happy with just about any of the names that have been spread around. All seem like an upgrade. Especially since they have had experience at power 5 conferences or NBA experience. Was curious as to what time frame you all think a coach will be announced? I would guess after the tournament especially if the coach we hire is in the tournament. If its Beilein do you think it would be before ?

The CAM hire was 11 days after CTC was fired. Similar dynamic there - the Donnovan hype, several decent choices... could come that quickly here... sounds like (from his presser) that Dolson had already started the work, and now it's starting to look like a matter of tying up all the loose ends... as always, YMMV.

38 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Dan says Alford wants the job.

I'm sure he does... but what has "coach" Alford done outside of Manchester College?

People in hell want ice water, so... we don't always get what we want.

12 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

You literally don’t know what you’re talking about in regards to what Glass accomplished or didn’t accomplish here. 

What did Glass accomplish that literally any other AD in the nation wasn't capable of doing?  Please tell me. If you say he built a baseball stadium, I'm saying yes he did and its nice. However, IU's baseball stadium was worse than my High Schools. Any AD that inherited tracy smith would have built a stadium. 

My argument is what did he do above and beyond that any other AD wasn't capable of? 

37 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

What did Glass accomplish that literally any other AD in the nation wasn't capable of doing?  Please tell me. If you say he built a baseball stadium, I'm saying yes he did and its nice. However, IU's baseball stadium was worse than my High Schools. Any AD that inherited tracy smith would have built a stadium. 

My argument is what did he do above and beyond that any other AD wasn't capable of? 

No one is arguing against that, really. I said he was solid, and he was solid. Not great, and certainly not poor. There's no reason this needs to go any further. 

Crazy to not give him all the credit for Tom Allen though.  

15 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

For starters, develop an understanding of what an AD at a major university does and doesn’t do. After which, educate yourself on the vast array of athletic programs that this individual is responsible for managing then do your own research to understand the state in which Fred found these programs vs where he left them. He’s probably the most successful (and literally most decorated) ADs in IU’s history, directly responsible for completely turning around football, men’s and woman’s basketball and generating over $1B in private donations to construct or renovate. Then you might want to dive into the handful of incrediblely innovative social and academic programs he created like the student bill of rights and sexual violence policy that put IU on a different level than it’s peers. IU’s athletic graduation rates went from 77%-91% during his tenure. All this with zero major violations. 

You’re arguement was his “misses” were greater than his wins and his President’s Medal of Excellence (The only other ones McRobbie ever handed out to the athletic dept was to HOFs Billingsly and Yeagley) should tell you otherwise. 

For years when we would go into the debate about should we fire this coach, if we do we can’t get anyone debate I always felt that we just never really gave it a great effort. Never had the confidence that we should seek the best and that we have something here to sell to those top coaches. 

Now I have no idea how hard we went after Bennet and Few or others but nonetheless I was not convinced we gave it our best shot. This time around it sure seems like we are trying to lure the big fish.  If in the end the big fish get away it will be disappointing but not as disappointing as not having tried. 

Swing for the fences Scott. Show those coaches why you have stayed here so long and why this university is awesome. Believe in the vision then sell it with all you have. 

Bilas, Nance and any other national guy who thinks we should accept our defeat and be happy we ever won a game is just crazy. Flat out crazy.  Local media who have forgotten what greatness don’t control who we are. But we do need to show them. 

Swing for the fences Scott. If you land the Boston one you would have exceeded even our lofty goals. If we get a tier 2 guy that is an upgrade - awesome.  It even if we do end up with someone who isn’t a an absolute upgrade then know we appreciate how you handled the at bat.  We can still win with a rookie but hire one that is willing to lean on veteran assistants   One who has the vision. One who is willing to sit a player who is not playing as they should. 

So thankful to have a guy willing to show those national and local “experts” they have no clue who we are. Swing away Scott

Whomever is brought in to coach IU, it mustn't be an emotional hire. I would love to see a former disciple or player for coach Knight take the reigns, but if they aren't the surest bet for IU's future success,  then don't do it. I know this, we need to recruit Indiana shooters again. Defense can be taught, and instilled, but you can either shoot or you can't.

11 minutes ago, TrueHoosier62 said:

Whomever is brought in to coach IU, it mustn't be an emotional hire. I would love to see a former disciple or player for coach Knight take the reigns, but if they aren't the surest bet for IU's future success,  then don't do it. I know this, we need to recruit Indiana shooters again. Defense can be taught, and instilled, but you can either shoot or you can't.

You can absolutely develop shooting.  

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Hell of a lot easier to do so when they start as decent ones.

Ummm.. probably. Different for everyone. Oladipo and Williams couldn't shoot a lick. Anthony Davis same thing. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Ummm.. probably. Different for everyone. Oladipo and Williams couldn't shoot a lick. Anthony Davis same thing. 

Dipo wasn’t s good shooter until he was a junior and Williams wasn’t an adequate shooter until then.  This team needs a couple of guys who are impact shooters immediately.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Dipo wasn’t s good shooter until he was a junior and Williams wasn’t an adequate shooter until then.  This team needs a couple of guys who are impact shooters immediately.

I think we're missing a dead eye and then a capable PG. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah agree. To say it's something you have or you don't have... is false though. 

Maybe we can all agree that should be a rarity though? I'm all for role-players and niche guys, but somebody should be able shoot on day 1 and not need 2+ yrs of development to knock down open shots. 

I still hope whoever the next coach is utilizes the red-shirt. It ain't sexy and it won't thrill many recruits, but it does work. As I've said before, freaking Wisconsin rolls out some un-known dork Junior Big man every other year and he ends up all B1G because he developed for three years. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley said:

Nothing as earth shattering as others have said. I just heard that Dolson has his man and happy would be an understatement. I think that means BS but I hate getting my hope us. Based on what others are saying my hopes are very very high. 

What if BS is the smokescreen and he lands Mark Few after the tournament?