Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I can confirm IU has put feelers out since mid-late January, I shared that on HSN. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a certain coach would even listen. Not sure I still believe it but I’m enjoying the excitement.

Rabjohns has pretty much stated that he is listening. Not sure how far along but I mean that is 100% worth mentioning. Sounds like many people are hearing the same thing. Knowing that paired with his pressers, where there’s smoke..

5 hours ago, IU-DL said:

This is just dumb (not you @reconmkd) Doyle is click bait only. He spends about 75% of his time bashing IU until a coaching vacancy opens up, and now he's buddies with all things IUBB. Tony Bennett is an idiotic suggestion from the town clown and is far less likely than Brad Stevens to end up in Bloomington. If Brad is "+5000" according to Vegas, add another zero for Bennett. He's comfortable & killing it at Virginia and has zero reason to leave.

IIRC a year or so ago Doyel was all but guaranteeing that, if Brad left the NBA, it would be for Duke when Coach K retires

3 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Nope, he has 7,411 tweets and is followed by Buckeyescoop and a few other OSU guys. He is also followed by James T Yoder 

Looks like he called that it would be a rich IU donor to buy him out too.  March 6 date as well.  Interesting...

Capture.JPG

It has taken me 40 minutes to get caught up in this thread and I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome.  Make it stop!  I can't shake the feeling this is Billy Donovan 2.0 and we're in for a major letdown and whoever the next coach is will seem like a disappointment whoever it may be.  

1 minute ago, theriverpilot said:

Looks like he called that it would be a rich IU donor to buy him out too.  March 6 date as well.  Interesting...

Capture.JPG

IU is a wonderful school that has produced many successful, wealthy alums who love and support their alma mater.

There may well be more than one, but off the top of my head I can only think of one who qualifies as a "billionaire"

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Well, I know of one billionaire IU donor in the Texas area.  Anyone else?

If my math is correct which would be a stretch I believe there are only 4 billionaire IU donors. listed in how much their worth Carl Cook 10.5 Billion, Gayle Cook 6.5 billion, Mark Cuban 5 billion, Herb Simon 3.5 billion

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It has taken me 40 minutes to get caught up in this thread and I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome.  Make it stop!  I can't shake the feeling this is Billy Donovan 2.0 and we're in for a major letdown and whoever the next coach is will seem like a disappointment whoever it may be.  

I'm a 42 year old Cubs fan so I grew quite accustomed to being let down, but.............2016! Maybe it's finally our time to get this damn coaching search right!

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

IU is a wonderful school that has produced many successful, wealthy alums who love and support their alma mater.

There may well be more than one, but off the top of my head I can only think of one who qualifies as a "billionaire"

There's more than you think. 

26 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Same with me for Beilein and Drew.

It’s a good reminder that Beilein was top 5 in the country there for a bit (in terms of Michigan’s success) and wouldn’t necessarily be some has-been old fogey who would have to roll in to AH in a wheelchair. He did win the BIG, BTT, and go the the NCAA finals a couple of time each, very recently.

I didn't include Drew because I just don't see it with him. It seems to me that the main reasons he's being considered is because he’s from Indiana and has had some relatively recent success, and not so much because of his whole body of work (my opinion). Wasn't he also thought to be pretty shady by some? To me, his career doesn't really scream 'proven winner’. His career winning percentage isn't super stellar...63%'ish. And, what has he really accomplished in almost 20 years to think he's the guy to take IUBB to where we want to go?

You make good points about Drew but I look at it like this:

He only had 1 year of HC experience before taking over at Baylor so he's been learning on the job as do all coaches. But many of them start low and work there way up with various stops at increasingly difficult competition. Other than the 1 year at Valpo, Drew basically started his coaching career in a tough conference. While his career winning percentage isn't great, you can see steady improvement. 

Baylor basically has no history in bball to fall back on. I don't remember the exact number, but before him they had been to the NCAAT less than a handful of times in their entire history. He has them at a #1 seed.

He took over a complete mess. Worse than what Crean took over at IU. So he's literally built that program from nothing. That will hurt his career numbers.

A big one for me, especially after the stubbornness of Miller, is that he's shown a willingness to make big changes to his system. For a long time he primarily used zone defense and they were decent but not great at it. He switched to M2M and they now have an elite defense.

Pretty good recruiter. Maybe great considering the school. 31 4* and 5* players in his time at Baylor. He could do even better at IU.

Has had talent but not a ton of it in his time there so is able to develop players and put a team on the floor that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Last few teams have had elite offense and defense.

It took him a while to get there but now he's a more nationally known name with a lot of momentum. I don't think it would take him long at IU to get things turned around. I think he has figured out how to win consistently.

But, yes, he is missing Final Fours on his resume but does have 2 Elite Eights and another couple of Sweet 16s. He has an NIT championship but no Big 12 tournament championships. 

Stevens is my #1-#5 choice but I would be pretty happy with Drew. I'd personally rather have him as coach over Beard. Not a sure thing but I think he could do really well at IU.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Many guys including me came over from HSN, and helping you guys a lot for this incredible traffic. It's quite fun though. Also lots of information.