Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just going on intuition my good looks, I don't think his decision will hinge on a few losses.

Either he wants the job because of "home", money, family and a combination of all 3 or he doesn't want the job.  I'm convinced if he takes the job its not because of losing a few games in the NBA or being fired from Boston.  That's my thought. 

Tomorrow would be extraordinarily nice for good news. 

Yeah...... but a good losing streak sure wouldn't hurt

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Boston loses to the Cavs tonight should we really be after Brad? Lol I mean the Cavs are 14-25

I could care less about the Cavs.....

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

When he comes I'm going to start charging you guys beers like Rabby does money for my info. Just kidding I enjoy chatting with everyone too much to do that. 

If Brad Stevens comes to IU I will buy you a case of any beer you want.  Hell, I might even part with a bottle of Pappy 15 or Eagle Rare 17.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

When he comes I'm going to start charging you guys beers like Rabby does money for my info. Just kidding I enjoy chatting with everyone too much to do that. 

Whether he comes or not, I think we all owe you a beer or two after this for the hassle!

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Thad Matta vs John Beilein

This one is also tough for me. If Matta is healthy enough then it's a no brainer but his back worries me. My issue with Beilein is he'd be a band-aid that would have to be removed in 5-7 years and then there would be no guarantee his successor could maintain the trajectory. I'd still go with Matta because I believe he could get an incredible staff that could help minimize his health problems i.e. on the recruiting trail, practices etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Oats, for the same reasons you gave.

Drew over Beard, because there's no question Drew is a winner.  My mind changed on this one.

Beilein over Matta, and I can't quite place my finger on why.  Perhaps it's because Beilein went out a winner and Matta went out on the decline?

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You guys have gotten me to question my opinion of Beard. I originally thought he’d be right underneath Stevens. But you all have made good points. I think I have a few other guys ahead of Beard now.

Same with me for Beilein and Drew.

It’s a good reminder that Beilein was top 5 in the country there for a bit (in terms of Michigan’s success) and wouldn’t necessarily be some has-been old fogey who would have to roll in to AH in a wheelchair. He did win the BIG, BTT, and go the the NCAA finals a couple of time each, very recently.

I didn't include Drew because I just don't see it with him. It seems to me that the main reasons he's being considered is because he’s from Indiana and has had some relatively recent success, and not so much because of his whole body of work (my opinion). Wasn't he also thought to be pretty shady by some? To me, his career doesn't really scream 'proven winner’. His career winning percentage isn't super stellar...63%'ish. And, what has he really accomplished in almost 20 years to think he's the guy to take IUBB to where we want to go?

2 minutes ago, ray said:

Oats, for the same reasons you gave.

Drew over Beard, because there's no question Drew is a winner.  My mind changed on this one.

Beilein over Matta, and I can't quite place my finger on why.  Perhaps it's because Beilein went out a winner and Matta went out on the decline?

I have Beard over Drew even though i have defended Drew a lot.  Even though Doyal is not a great source, his thoughts on Drew were interesting.  Doyal, media in general, usually fawn over any coach so for him to mock Drew was atypical.  

21 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If we don’t get Stevens and we hire Alford or Mussleman I’m bringing this site down by myself. Throw Drew in that list as well! 

Absolutely true... Alford cannot be the choice under any circumstances... talk about not being able to coach a wild turkey to take a dump... 

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This.

It doesn't matter how we perceive the comment, or how former NBA players perceive it, all that matters is how Gen Z kids perceive it. 

Not sure how it would be perceived by high schools kids but from following recruiting as close as i do at the end of the day they and their family  will treat it like a business decision.  Also if he is hired by IU or any other major university that means that they were ok with the explanation and were willing to give a coach with 0 problems before a second chance.   Recruiting is cut throat any ways and coaches are use to other coaches going for the kill.   At the end of the day the college resume and getting all different types of players into the NBA which is what all these recruits end up wanting would out weigh a mistake he made made.  I think most people thought when he took the job that he belonged in college.    

19 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

If Stevens is not going to workout, I’m not as big on Beard. I wonder how his recruiting will do in Indiana. Texas kids are really far away to come to Bloomington. I respect his tournament run a couple years ago. Bobby Knight connection is cool, but not a game changer for me. His offensive style a play seems a little boring to me. Not sure how recruiting mid west and Indiana kids will respond. I guess I’m just torn. Have kind of been leaning more towards Oats and Mussleman with Drew and Belein/Matta as back up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

... as has been pointed out previously, the Bob Knight connection was probably not a favorable one for IU... that was right after Knight was fired here and got the gig at TT... he was still quite bitter about Indiana, so that had to throw a lot of shade on the whole Indiana thing for Beard...