Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm stating the obvious...Stevens is seriously considering IU. It's a matter of if he wants a change. The longer IU goes without naming a coach.....it's him. I say if this position is vacant in four weeks, we will know. 

Also, Brad to IU would give the Bilas's and the Goodman's in the national media the middle finger. 

I have so many screenshots....... and yes I’m petty enough to go back and hit each and every one of them with pie to the face. 

3 hours ago, cthomas said:

I love the female perspective on this. Sometimes there is just too much testosterone on here. And as much as I like to drool over Sage Steele, it's nice to have the opposite viewpoint.

I drool over Sage too. Fit AF. 

I also like to hear more female perspective on here. I know a ton of female fans who can talk smack, but they just have no interest in the board lol.

I'll repeat this again, Brad Stevens will be leaving Boston sooner rather than later regardless of whether he takes the IU job. The fanbase is tired of him, and they're not winning with that roster. I agree with others that it's a matter of whether or not he wants to return to college or join the ranks of "good enough" NBA coaches and bounce around franchises for the next 25 years a la Don Nelson and George Karl. So if he does want to come back to college, why not IU? Filling K's shoes may be more difficult than succeeding Saban when he leaves Bama. UNC and UK will be no picnics either, and if his family is tired of Boston fans acting like idiots, well you know where I'm going with this for UK.

Kansas is the only other premiere name where I see him as a nice fit with for all parties, where the pressure is on and the resources are there, but there is no legend's shadow and the fanbase may be a bit more patient without the immediately unrealistic expectations. But that job isn't open, Self is likely still going to be there for a while, and despite their more recent success Kansas really offers nothing that IU doesn't already. 

I'll also say this...given how quickly this has shaped up with private donors paying an extra $7m to fire Archie a year earlier, the fortuitous timing of Boston plateauing, and the national narrative of IU really wanting Stevens and our AD not f'ing around on this, at this point it better be Stevens. We know who the other candidates are, and if we've reached a point where getting John Beilein, Thad Matta, Rick Pitino, Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, Chris Beard or Scott Drew would be considered a massive disappointment, then bless whoever this next coach is. Dolson would be setting up this hire and the fanbase for a very tenuous relationship from the get-go. Getting Stevens used to be wishful thinking, but everything about it is starting to make too much sense for it not to be in the works.

4 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I'll repeat this again, Brad Stevens will be leaving Boston sooner rather than later regardless of whether he takes the IU job. The fanbase is tired of him, and they're not winning with that roster. I agree with others that it's a matter of whether or not he wants to return to college or join the ranks of "good enough" NBA coaches and bounce around franchises for the next 25 years a la Don Nelson and George Karl. So if he does want to come back to college, why not IU? Filling K's shoes may be more difficult than succeeding Saban's when he leaves Bama. UNC and UK will be no picnics either, and if his family is tired of Boston fans acting like idiots, well you know where I'm going with this for UK.

Kansas is the only other premiere name where I see him as a nice fit with for all parties, where the pressure is on and the resources are there, but there is no legend's shadow and the fanbase may be a bit more patient without the immediately unrealistic expectations. But that job isn't open, Self is likely still going to be there for a while, and despite their more recent success Kansas really offers nothing that IU doesn't already. 

I'll also say this...given how quickly this has shaped up with private donors paying an extra $7m to fire Archie a year earlier, the fortuitous timing of Boston plateauing, and the national narrative of IU really wanting Stevens and our AD not f'ing around on this, at this point it better be Stevens. We know who the other candidates are, and if we've reached a point where getting John Beilein, Thad Matta, Rick Pitino, Nate Oats, Eric Musselman, Chris Beard or Scott Drew would be considered a massive disappointment, then bless whoever this next coach is. Dolson would be setting up this hire and the fanbase for a very tenuous relationship from the get-go. Getting Stevens used to be wishful thinking, but everything about it is starting to make too much sense for it not to be in the works.

I think it is in the works and hope it happens. 

11 minutes ago, Southside said:

(2:20)

(0:30)

Stevens also said that "But I also realize that I’m the coach of the Celtics and it’s been an amazing opportunity, an amazing challenge every day for the last eight years and I’m extremely grateful for that.” That sounds more like a farewell than anything I've heard. 

The Celtics are a game over .500. They're going to be lucky to finish in the top 4 in the East, they're not winning the East and they're definitely not winning the title. Barring a miracle run in the playoffs, their fanbase is done with him. He may not have a choice in leaving after this year. 

13 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Stevens also said that "But I also realize that I’m the coach of the Celtics and it’s been an amazing opportunity, an amazing challenge every day for the last eight years and I’m extremely grateful for that.” That sounds more like a farewell than anything I've heard. 

The Celtics are a game over .500. They're going to be lucky to finish in the top 4 in the East, they're not winning the East and they're definitely not winning the title. Barring a miracle run in the playoffs, their fanbase is done with him. He may not have a choice in leaving after this year. 

Honestly Celtics might not even be a top 10 NBA team this year. Teams like Pacers are going to get healthier and play better. Huge uphill battle. Then again it’s Brad Stevens if a coach can get Boston out of a funk.... Well he’s that coach. But Bring him Home!!!! 

6 hours ago, Zachetology said:

Is Dolson willing to wait until the NBA season ends if Stevens is undecided before that time? If Dolson waits that long, do we risk losing Beard, Drew, and other top candidates? Thanks for the insights!

This is Stevens chance.  If he wants the job it’s time.  If not, it may not become available to him for a while.  But he’s got to make the move now.  Waiting will basically mean we lose another year as transfers and recruits will go elsewhere.  

26 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I know people don't always speak the truth, and the truth/situation can change in a matter of months, weeks, days, etc..

That said, I don't think he personally would have debunked IU rumors if he indeed was currently and strongly contemplating it. There's plenty of ways to dance around things, and he's skilled enough to dance.

I would expect IU to stay on him, perhaps sweeten their offer, and that could change things along with his current Boston-specific situation.

Anything can happen I know, I'm just not going to go overboard with conspiracy theories and reading between wishful lines of thinking.

I do hope he comes and it somehow works out. Not much would surprise me these days. 

19 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

I’ve always thought Stevens hated recruiting and was a waste of time for him....I guess not 

a lot of college coaches dislike recruiting, including IIRC John Beilein

Alright, let's get serious. Need some really smart guys/gals to analyze each candidates Offense and Defense. How they run things and what is good and bad of each. I'm not BB smart enough. All i know is that the ball needs to go into the round thing with a net.

Also we need to check out:

1. their teams historical Free throw percentages (mades/attempts)

2. 3pt % and attempts per game

3. use of big men vs modern day offense.

Can some folks do all that? por favor?