Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Woof.  That BS statement was all sorts of awesome.  Really good stuff in there.  I’m starting to believe.  

and if so, wow.  The press and stress of that decision is just wow.  Wow.

I already have big respect for BS, but if he comes back to Indiana to try to rejuvenate the program knowing the fans will have crazy unrealistic expectations.....much respect! 

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

@Billingsley @IUwins0708 @Rico @Turdfurgeson85 (Mr Flynn) @go iu bb  

Who am I missing?

Looks like also @madmax and @IU Scott. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few more newcomers whose names I recognize from HSN.

Well I wasn't going to sign in but just lurk and read but today made me want to join.  Well I saw I was mentioned on here even though I had never been to this board until last week.  To put thing to rest, no I did not crash the board on HSN.
If you told me we had a chance at Brad even 2 days ago I would call you crazy.  I still won't let myself to believe that we have a chance to get him.  At least there seems to have some positive vibe going on with him and would love for brad to be the next coach at IU.  My question would be if he would let IU know before the end of the season or would he wait. until the end of the year.  I would think we would need a coach in place or at least know who the coach will be to recruit this spring.  To me if Brad decides to come I don't see the Celtics letting him finish the year out but just would let him leave right away.  I just hope we don't get overly excited on every little nugget we hear and not be disappointed in the end.
If not brad my top choice would be Beilein because I think he would come in and give us a good 6 years and stabilize the program and it would be more attractive the next time we have an opening.  I know some say that it would take him a awhile because it took him a few years at UM.  the difference is that the knows the big ten and he changed his defense and that led to the turn around.
You should enjoy this place most posters are pretty entertaining

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

For maybe the first time in his life, he’s a correct idiot though!

True... but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then... 

From his Wikipedia page:

Gottlieb notably entered a game with his shorts on backwards. He then took his shorts off while on the court, and put them back on correctly. He was guarded from cameras and taunting fans by a circle that his teammates formed around their embarrassed teammate. When Gottlieb became a broadcaster after his playing days ended, this incident was mentioned in a press conference by North Carolina head coach Roy Williams. After being questioned about criticism of his program by Gottlieb, Williams responded that Gottlieb "couldn't even put his pants on the right way." Williams then said "shorts on backwards, shorts on backwards," imitating the chant that opposing fans said to Gottlieb after the incident.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The future of the program and decisions that impact it.

Zero guarantee any coach, including Brad Stevens wins in year 1 or even year 2.  When you hire a 68 year old at a presumed blue blood program you are capping your odds of future success and ensuring another future coaching search soon.  

With all due respect, I don’t think you understand the full context of opportunity and program building.  

Their are no guarantees about anything except death and taxes.  But guys do have track records.  I think he could have us making a deep tournament run pretty quickly.  He could also change the culture of the program immediately and who knows who he could bring with him as a lead assistant.  

I will leave your last sentence alone other than that and your earlier comment about ageism is not a good look.

1 hour ago, BottomLine said:

Instead of taking wild guesses and wishful thinking, maybe the best approach to figuring out the new coach is to apply a bit of logic and maybe read a bit between the lines.  So let's look at a few of the facts.

1.  The decision to let Archie go was probably made before the last two or three games.  It takes so time to put the buyout together.  Archie's job was toast before we lost to Purdue and Rutgers.

2.  While the AD made the decision the odds are good that he may have been approached by alumni before the end of the season with an offer to help.  It seems more likely that the offer of money would have been made before the school started scouting around to find money.

3.  Whoever coughed up the money probably had input into the identity of the new coach. If I was giving up that kind of money I would certainly want a say on what happened.

4.  Since there is no blue ribbon search committee, the AD knows who the coach is going to be.

5.  If the new coach is not currently coaching an announcement should come sooner rather than later and negotiations are underway and have been underway for several weeks.  There is little to be gained by protecting the identity of the party.

6.  If the new coach is currently employed he probably has a team in the NCAA tourney.  Thus, the announcement would not come while his team is still playing.  He would not want to upset team chemistry while they are still playing.  The longer it takes to make an announcement the better the possibility that this is the case.

7.  One big advantage of having donors pay for Archie's severance is that it makes it possible for the university to buy out a contract for a coach who is currently under contract.   Paying both a severance and a buyout both would probably be prohibitive.

8.  After four unsuccessful tries since Knight was fired, the AD doesn't want to get it wrong yet again.  I'm not expecting another mid-major coach.  The AD is talking to someone with a proven winning track record.

I'm leaning toward someone that is in the Big Dance this year.  I won't believe anything that any coach says while their team is still competing.

Anyone that has picked up on any other clues please chime in.  I'm all ears.

Regarding #7, IU  may not have to pay the new coach's buyout. One of the donors has pledged to cover the transition costs. That may include the buyout. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I’m going to throw up if I see Musslemans name mentioned more. 

He’s CTC 2.0 but on steroids in social media. Not in a good way. 

Yeah... but he's never won less than 20 games and has NBA experience. He's not my top choice, but I think he could crush in recruiting and would do really well at IU.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Woof.  That BS statement was all sorts of awesome.  Really good stuff in there.  I’m starting to believe.  

and if so, wow.  The press and stress of that decision is just wow.  Wow.

I already have big respect for BS, but if he comes back to Indiana to try to rejuvenate the program knowing the fans will have crazy unrealistic expectations.....much respect! 

Yeah I’ve believed Chris about the possibility the whole time but even if I hadn’t, man, there’s...lots of subtext there