Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

As I said most won’t like the hire if it happens but if he is your floor coach that’s not a bad floor coach to have coach your team. 
 4 years of Archie or 4 years of Hamilton from FSU or even Kruger from Oklahoma who is 68?  Old is old I guess but good coaching is still good coaching 

I will not be sold on B-Line.  We are trying to brand.  We are trying to hit a home run.  I would rather  take a flyer on a mid-major than to get a 3-4 year rental.  Plus as Indiana fans, we know it takes 3 years or more to build a winner (sarcasm).  It would be a disastrous hire for what we want to accomplish.  

Five years ago I would’ve been thrilled to land Beilein. Now, ehhhh. No thank you. He’s too old. I question how well he’d be able to recruit young African American men after the thugs comment. Dolson has to see the same things that we do. If he hires Beilein then he’ll be doing this all over again in 5-6 years. I doubt he wants that. 

Beilein is above guys like Enfield and Fife for me. But he’s below all the targets like Drew, Oats, Musselman, Beard, Stevens, etc. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I will not be sold on B-Line.  We are trying to brand.  We are trying to hit a home run.  I would rather  take a flyer on a mid-major than to get a 3-4 year rental.  Plus as Indiana fans, we know it takes 3 years or more to build a winner (sarcasm).  It would be a disastrous hire for what we want to accomplish.  

Tough call if your next mid major flyer is another dud then that’s ballgame the IU brand in basketball is done.   I would much rather bet on a proven winner that has double the amount of 30 win seasons in his last 2 years of coaching then IU had in 27 years.   Tough call either way.   If your consolation prize his that guy coaching at 68 then I’m fine giving it a shot.   Nothing else has worked for 20 some years 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Five years ago I would’ve been thrilled to land Beilein. Now, ehhhh. No thank you. He’s too old. I question how well he’d be able to recruit young African American men after the thugs comment. Dolson has to see the same things that we do. If he hires Beilein then he’ll be doing this all over again in 5-6 years. I doubt he wants that. 

Beilein is above guys like Enfield and Fife for me. But he’s below all the targets like Drew, Oats, Musselman, Beard, Stevens, etc. 

So you think that "thug" will haunt him with recruiting?

It's not Brad Stevens / It's not Brad Stevens  / It's not Brad Stevens.  C'mon everyone It's not Brad Stevens.  Some of  you are going to have to change your avatars in the near future.  That's just the facts folks; just the facts.  I don't know who it's going to be but It's not Brad Stevens.

A couple things I picked up on that makes me think the Stevens rumors have legs. One thing that sticks out is the fact Dolson is keeping the assistant staff around. It sounds like he intends for this decision and hiring to take some time. So that in my mind leans against the idea of Beilein or Matta being the first choice. It sounds like its going to be someone whose going to be employed awhile. Also I think Dolson's comments on moving IU into the future makes me think of Brad. 
Could be wrong but I believe it's fairly common to retain some staff if even only in the interim until a decision is made/announced. Makes for a smoother transition

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

All we are trying to do is win. Beilein wins. There is talent on the roster now and room to make some a move for another player. Beilein can win in year 1. 4-6 winning years sounds like exactly what we are trying to do. 

Stevens is the target IMO. But if he says no, screw going the mid major route. Get someone who has won at the Power 5 level. Beilein, Pitino, Oats, Musselman, etc.. The coach needs to have experience at the highest level of college basketball because the league is too tough to bleed in a new head coach to the Power 5. 

I actually like Beilein. If Stevens is an absolute no and other young candidates are hesitant or no go, Beilien can be an excellent mid-term choice; he's just not our long term plan. That's all. I would personally be happy with Beilein and Dane Fife as his top assistant. Under Beilein's tutelage (on top of 10 years under Izzo), Fife will be ready in 5-6 years from now. 

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

So you think that "thug" will haunt him with recruiting?

I do. Other coaches are always looking for things to say to recruits to dissuade them from going to a different school. That would definitely be something other coaches bring up. 

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Could be wrong but I believe it's fairly common to retain some staff if even only in the interim until a decision is made/announced. Makes for a smoother transition

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I had wondered if this had been the case when Crean was fired. It would make sense. 

Is Dolson willing to wait until the NBA season ends if Stevens is undecided before that time? If Dolson waits that long, do we risk losing Beard, Drew, and other top candidates? Thanks for the insights!

3 hours ago, coonhounds said:

My prediction is belein or however you spell it. He coaches here a 4 years we make a couple tourneys the final time we lose sweet 16 he decides to retire we hire his assistant who doesn't cut the mustard we fire him after 4 years forever destined for mediocrity

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Damm, that's dark!

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's not Brad Stevens / It's not Brad Stevens  / It's not Brad Stevens.  C'mon everyone It's not Brad Stevens.  Some of  you are going to have to change your avatars in the near future.  That's just the facts folks; just the facts.  I don't know who it's going to be but It's not Brad Stevens.

I see it this way. For some people, 1% chance means it's impossible, but for others, they think there's a chance.