Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

9 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Not a fan of this fellow, mostly because I find him to be a poor writer with a mediocre mastery of the English language, and a serious need for a proof reader but, I figure he has this right....

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/boston-celtics-brad-stevens-says-not-interesting-indiana-job?fbclid=IwAR0HfMVXYGlhxCw39FgxquVr9Q9Sraa8bn9RHylTauw5Qe9udgriPAxiheU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He's the same guy that says Keith Smart "checks all the boxes"...

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-one-indiana-coaching-candidate-checks-all-boxes-keith-smart?

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

My prediction is belein or however you spell it. He coaches here a 4 years we make a couple tourneys the final time we lose sweet 16 he decides to retire we hire his assistant who doesn't cut the mustard we fire him after 4 years forever destined for mediocrity

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

25 minutes ago, clintonmills said:

If IU is going to hire somebody in the sunset of their career like Beilein, I'd rather see them go after Leonard Hamilton. 

Just out of curiosity, why? Beilein took WVU to an Elite Eight and Michigan to two NCAA title games. Hamilton has done nothing of the like. 

Some purely speculative thoughts that could be going through Brad's mind, eliminating every other factor besides coaching: 

1.) If the NBA ends up being where I want to be, even if I left, I could likely come back any time. 

2.) If the only college job I would ever take is Indiana, this may be my only chance. They've whiffed a few times. Everything points to this hire being more important than ever, and they are determined to get it right. This job might not be open again until I'm retired. 

3.) If I end up hating recruiting, see point #1. 

Wow HSN is still down! What did you all do????

It’s been YEARS since I’ve helped run that forum, but the platform it runs on can be very tedious to deal with when something goes wrong. Plus, with the passing of both Eric and Ken, it might be a struggle to get the back end things figured out. I could be 100% wrong, but feel for those guys over there. I know Eric actually had to contract someone out at one point to fix some issues. It can get costly!
Anyway, really exciting time even though nerve-wracking. I expect a big name coach, but would give anyone a chance regardless of how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

I just don't get what the media expects Brad to say at this specific moment?! He's gonna say NOOOOOOO! Duh! He's in the middle of their freaking season. Yet some radio station does an interview and everyone says, "Welp, thats it!" "Nothin' to see here Indiana!" "On to the next candidate." Gimme a break. Its like this is everyone's 1st rodeo following coaching searches. 

Especially when it's not the first time he's had to address the rumor and did so in a much less convincing fashion than last time.

Brad Stevens, 2017:

"I don’t speak to the rumor mill or anything else, but I’ve made it pretty clear I’m going to be here. I’ve been asked about that quite a bit and my answer will be the same — I’m going to be here until the Celtics decide they want to move in another direction"

Brad Stevens, 2021:

“That’s nice of them. It really is,” he said of all the adulation. “That’s home. I get it. I appreciate all the nice sentiments. It certainly doesn’t go unnoticed, and it’s certainly very kind.”...“I am not" (quitting the Celtics to go to Indiana)

Those don't seem like the same thing at all to me. If that was any of us asking out our significant other for the first time, pretty sure we'd be circling back as many times as it takes until we get answer #1.

Edited by FightFor6

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Just out of curiosity, why? Beilein took WVU to an Elite Eight and Michigan to two NCAA title games. Hamilton has done nothing of the like. 

Mainly due to the fact that Beilien jumped ship on Michigan because he was "frustrated with the nature of college basketball." 

Yeah, but this isn’t some prediction the guy is making, or some speculation on his part. This is direct from the mouth of Brad Stevens himself. He’s not leaving Boston to coach Indiana.

7 hours ago, pumpfake said:

We need someone that can get things on the right track rather quickly - not necessarily winning the conference and significant tourney runs in the first 2-3 years, but by improving style of play, team demeanor, and recruiting.  

IMO it IS possible to do this.  It's not something that every quality coach can do.  For some it takes 3-5 seasons and the improvement is cumulative (but not at a practically imperceivable pace of improvement like the last 4 years).  I remember stating after CAM's first year that he could get us to where we need to be but he showed he wasn't a "miracle worker".  The Quick-fix type guy made more sense when Crean was hired than now.  

I definitely see Beilein as a very good coach but is he a quick turnaround type of guy?  IDK.  Because of his age there is a high possibility we will be looking for another coach in 5 years, more or less.  Then we will be faced with a similar dilemma - trying to find a new coach with all the uncertainty that comes with it.  Even having an assistant and succession plan presents that uncertainty (possibly even more).  

Making a "succession plan" a part of this hiring process is not much different than saying you're hiring whoever the designated successor is.  I'm uneasy with that strategy.

I'm uneasy as well, especially given the likelihood that the designated successor could be Patrick Beilein.

If you guys think I have access now, just wait and see if CC got the job. I would have all access all the time. Bad thing is he probably wouldn't live in Bloomington, his wife told my wife she would never live in Bloomington. 
My lifelong dream is to meet this guy...CC has been my favorite player since I was 10

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Brad Stevens will be out at Boston within three years. 

tend to agree: if Brad wants to stay in the NBA long-term, fine, but it'll likely be somewhere like Detroit or Sacramento, not Boston.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Advocates for IU to hire a former Knight player.

Who, Jay? Please, for the love of God, tell us which IU player is capable of taking over the program? 

There is no one. 

On this one, Bilas is simply being a tool. 

I think Jay is scared of Indiana getting Brad Stevens and perennially whooping some Duke @$$.

4 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Yeah, but this isn’t some prediction the guy is making, or some speculation on his part. This is direct from the mouth of Brad Stevens himself. He’s not leaving Boston to coach Indiana.

we have discussed this like most of today..

WTH is he supposed to say? Yah I am going to quit on the Celtics and join IU?