Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

26 minutes ago, kottke said:

“What’s important to us is that it’s a style of play that recruits want to play in and that recruits see that they can see themselves in, but then also is really on the cutting edge of where is basketball going, where is college basketball going, and as you can see, basketball is different than it was three years ago, four years ago, six years ago in terms of how it fits into the NBA and moving on and playing professionally. I think we have to blend all of that together to have an attractive style of play, that obviously can win consistently, but that players want to play in and see themselves in.”

This makes me think of the offensives of  three coaches: 

Oates, Musselman, and Enfield - who we seem to have forgotten about.

Doesn’t seem like Oates is happening though so...

Ironically, all 3 of those coaches have a higher ranked defensive efficiency than offensive on Kenpom. Which surprised me honestly. All 3 are good coaches. 

2020-21 off/def efficiency rankings Kenpom

Oats - 34/2

Musselman - 35/14

Enfield - 30/19

Archie - 64/38

Drew - 7/44

9 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

The donors have already given the money.  No way were they told who the coach is going to be.  The money was to get rid of Coach Miller not for hiring the next coach.

That being said.  I don't want Alford.  Yeah, we graduated the same year, and he is an IU legend, but I don't think he is the answer.

Actually in his presser he said that a portion of the money was to fund the transition to the next coach. Also if your a business person giving 10 million dollars you want an idea of what the end product is going to be or you don’t give the money.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Ironically, all 3 of those coaches have a higher ranked defensive efficiency than offensive on Kenpom. Which surprised me honestly. All 3 are good coaches. 

Oats - 34/2

Musselman - 35/14

Enfield - 30/19

Archie - 64/38

Drew - 7/44

Good point! Makes them even better candidates.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Oats - 34/2

Musselman - 35/14

Enfield - 30/19

Archie - 64/38

Drew - 7/44

Total of offensive/defensive efficiency this year (lower is better):

• Oats: 36
  • Enfield: 49
  • Musselman: 49
  • Drew: 51
  • Archie: 102

Now admittedly, Archie and Drew play in the stronger conferences, but the job that Enfield has done this year is no joke.

9 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think Wright is much LESS likely than Stevens and I think Brad is a real longshot. I think Wright and Calipari are about the same likelihood = none. Not trying to crap on your dream, just pointing out how long those odds are to me. 

Probably so, but has always been on my want list. He is the best coach in college basketball in my humble opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Total of offensive/defensive efficiency this year (lower is better):

• Oats: 36
  • Enfield: 49
  • Musselman: 49
  • Drew: 51
  • Archie: 102

Now admittedly, Archie and Drew play in the stronger conferences, but the job that Enfield has done this year is no joke.

I went back and looked at Beilein last season and Michigan was 24/2 ranked offense/def for 2019. 

I think the moral of the story is IU is going to be getting an upgrade with the coaches who are available. 

1 hour ago, hper50 said:

I’m open to it but I’m skeptical on Beilein. I like his offensive approach but his players were so good. Unless he can flip the roster in the free transfer year...

He was pretty average in his first 4 or 5 years. It’s easy to recall the Trey Burke & Mo Wagner teams but I’m worried about being the Manny Harris teams then he retires.

And does the thugs comment in Cleveland matter to recruits? That needs to be answered 

We need someone that can get things on the right track rather quickly - not necessarily winning the conference and significant tourney runs in the first 2-3 years, but by improving style of play, team demeanor, and recruiting.  

IMO it IS possible to do this.  It's not something that every quality coach can do.  For some it takes 3-5 seasons and the improvement is cumulative (but not at a practically imperceivable pace of improvement like the last 4 years).  I remember stating after CAM's first year that he could get us to where we need to be but he showed he wasn't a "miracle worker".  The Quick-fix type guy made more sense when Crean was hired than now.  

I definitely see Beilein as a very good coach but is he a quick turnaround type of guy?  IDK.  Because of his age there is a high possibility we will be looking for another coach in 5 years, more or less.  Then we will be faced with a similar dilemma - trying to find a new coach with all the uncertainty that comes with it.  Even having an assistant and succession plan presents that uncertainty (possibly even more).  

Making a "succession plan" a part of this hiring process is not much different than saying you're hiring whoever the designated successor is.  I'm uneasy with that strategy.

3 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

If the hire really comes from that list of 4 names.  I think we all will be pretty darn happy.

I keep saying it man, those other names are solid but I think Scott knows what he has to do! I don't know Scott from person that invented the blow up doll but I just get the feeling he's getting his guy! 

I’m going to go all Sunshine Pumper and say it’s definitely going to be Brad Stevens this time. I’m going to let my hopes soar with the eagles!

It’s easy for me to be like this knowing that there is a list of other good candidates to serve as a safety net if I’m wrong.

C’mon, Brad! You know what needs to be done. The idea of him leaving the Celtics for IU on St. Patrick’s Day is just to appealing to not cling on to!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 hours ago, Treesh said:

Anybody who doesn't think Indiana is a top job just remember, we interviewed and hired one guy last time. We knew exactly who we wanted and went out and got one of the hottest up and coming young coaches in college hoops. His name came up with every power 5 head coaching opening in the previous few seasons but he had always said he wasn't leaving until he had an opportunity he couldn't pass up. We were one of the few where he listened. 

True, it didn't work out, and on the court, things have gotten worse. But nothing else has changed. This is still a top job. 

I made some slight changes, but other than these you nailed it :-)