Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

One current college coach has coached two former Hoosiers. Both players have a national championship ring. This guy should be our next coach. Name the coach & extra credit if you name the players.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

One current college coach has coached two former Hoosiers. Both players have a national championship ring. This guy should be our next coach. Name the coach & extra credit if you name the players.

Rick Pitino 

McCarty-UK

Treese-Louisville (had to look that one up)

Not saying this should be a determining factor, just asking.

Say a team that’s not a “traditional blue blood” but has had good basketball teams, (we will use Minnesota for this example since they’re in conference) if they fire a coach after this season due to lack of performance does the Indiana ADepartment look at that and maybe help push the needle to making a move now rather than later?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Not saying this should be a determining factor, just asking.

Say a team that’s not a “traditional blue blood” but has had good basketball teams, (we will use Minnesota for this example since they’re in conference) if they fire a coach after this season due to lack of performance does the Indiana ADepartment look at that and maybe help push the needle to making a move now rather than later?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nope.

I believe it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis.

That’s not as simple as “let’s save money” (though that’s one consideration).  It also encompasses keeping big donors happy and keeping the program viable.

Not advocating for Hoiberg as our next coach, but Nebraska's tempo and spacing looks really good and is reflective of what I'd like to see ran by whoever coaches at IU next.  Nebraska is 33rd in adjusted tempo and 27th in 3-point attempts and they seem to get a lot of open looks.  By comparison Indiana is at 284th in adjusted tempo and 188th in 3-point attempts.  

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

Would be typical Baylor fashion to crap the bed in March. 

I come in peace and to share knowledge fellow Hoosier fan. 

Please note that we are evening discussing how well Baylor performs in the tourney is a testament to what Drew has done for a program that was DOA, no pun intended. 

Drew has been to the tourney 8 times. 

His team outperformed their seeding on 4 occasions. 

His team was upset on 3 occasions. 

His team played out its seed once. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah watched the first half, it wasn’t anything to write home about.

The difference between Archie and Mack is that Mack’s a better coach with a track record in the big east and acc. Not have similar styles but Mack has more success. All of these coaches share similar styles. Thad Matta, Brad Stevens, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, Archie Miller, Travis Steele and Lavall Jordan. Everyone of them coached under Matta except Mack and he coached under Sean Miller. They are all similar some are just better at getting results.  

23 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The difference between Archie and Mack is that Mack’s a better coach with a track record in the big east and acc. Not have similar styles but Mack has more success. All of these coaches share similar styles. Thad Matta, Brad Stevens, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, Archie Miller, Travis Steele and Lavall Jordan. Everyone of them coached under Matta except Mack and he coached under Sean Miller. They are all similar some are just better at getting results.  

I guess I’m just not a fan of this style especially when it seems like the system doesn’t value the 3 ball like it should. It’s the most important shot in the game. UVA plays very slow but they shoot and make a high percentage of 3s which is why they always have such high offensive efficiency numbers. 

The games are such a grind to get through and I’m sure recruits don’t like it either especially when the NBA is all about pace and space now. 

9 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

The buyout is 7 million dollars less next year. If you don't think that's an issue, idk what to tell you. Sure, IU can probably get the money but that comes with using a lot of your political capital. 

I honestly see your second statement  I bolded as more pessimistic/fatalistic than based in any reality. Current coaches have contracts, committed recruits, families- lives. Could next years coaching pool be worse? Sure could. Could it be better? Sure could. If it's right this year go for it but if it doesn't I'd say it makes "zero sense" to make a change to make a change.

I suspect Miller's buyout isn't the only one that drops considerably next year; it's likely so will those of some other coaches FWIW