Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

So, I have a friend who is definitely not me.  He's a bit dumb and less-than-nuanced in, among other things, the field of contract law.  Say, he were to ask an obviously silly question such as, "if Miller's buyout is 7$ million dollars less next year, then why not just continue to pay him his $3.X million dollar salary for the next year to not coach the team?  We could bring in a new coach for next year and then buyout Miller in April 2022."  Just for the sake of humor, how would one answer such a question?
Dude I didn't even see your post when I posted. Great minds think alike

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

So, I have a friend who is definitely not me.  He's a bit dumb and less-than-nuanced in, among other things, the field of contract law.  Say, he were to ask an obviously silly question such as, "if Miller's buyout is 7$ million dollars less next year, then why not just continue to pay him his $3.X million dollar salary for the next year to not coach the team?  We could bring in a new coach for next year and then buyout Miller in April 2022."  Just for the sake of humor, how would one answer such a question?
Was your friend rcs29 by chance?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dude I didn't even see your post when I posted. Great minds think alike

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I thought you were the friend that told him or copying him. To funny lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

This is exactly what I’ve been saying all along. Nothing will change from now until next year except the buyout being reduced.

if there coaches we want now, go after them. If they say no today, they would say no next year. It makes zero sense to assume options will be better next year and in fact, they will likely be worse 

The buyout is 7 million dollars less next year. If you don't think that's an issue, idk what to tell you. Sure, IU can probably get the money but that comes with using a lot of your political capital. 

I honestly see your second statement  I bolded as more pessimistic/fatalistic than based in any reality. Current coaches have contracts, committed recruits, families- lives. Could next years coaching pool be worse? Sure could. Could it be better? Sure could. If it's right this year go for it but if it doesn't I'd say it makes "zero sense" to make a change to make a change.

7 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

The buyout is 7 million dollars less next year. If you don't think that's an issue, idk what to tell you. Sure, IU can probably get the money but that comes with using a lot of your political capital. 

I honestly see your second statement  I bolded as more pessimistic/fatalistic than based in any reality. Current coaches have contracts, committed recruits, families- lives. Could next years coaching pool be worse? Sure could. Could it be better? Sure could. If it's right this year go for it but if it doesn't I'd say it makes "zero sense" to make a change to make a change.

Is it an issue? It was said that the buyout had been raised. if that is inaccurate let me know.

if true, then you have a clean slate to hire. We’re going to pay a coach regardless so whether it’s Archie or X it doesn’t matter, we’re going to pay someone $3+ million.

Every school thinking about making an upgrade is thinking Bout Covid this year. That will stop some from cutting ties and chasing bigger fish. Positively, assuming next year is not a Covid year, there will be a ton of change. When you want to be at the top of the pecking order, that’s not good for you

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But we're also paying him 3.5 million to coach next year and the buyout. So not really saving 7 million unless I'm missing something.

Huh? Well, you'd be paying the buyout and the contract of whoever you hire if you fire him.

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Is it an issue? It was said that the buyout had been raised. if that is inaccurate let me know.

if true, then you have a clean slate to hire. We’re going to pay a coach regardless so whether it’s Archie or X it doesn’t matter, we’re going to pay someone $3+ million.

Every school thinking about making an upgrade is thinking Bout Covid this year. That will stop some from cutting ties and chasing bigger fish. Positively, assuming next year is not a Covid year, there will be a ton of change. When you want to be at the top of the pecking order, that’s not good for you

Yeah, idk what to say to this. Money could get there but no way it isn't an issue. That's the way that the world goes round.

EDIT: RIP John Prine and screw COVID-19