Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I don’t get how a home run hire would be willing next year but not this year. If that is the case then it sounds like they are waiting on other things to happen which if those happen then they probably don’t come.  

If it is a $ thing, like the buyout is there for a home run but not a double, then I get it. But if we are waiting on coach x who says next year is better it sounds kind of like that time you ask a girl to prom and she says I will let you know next week. 

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I don’t get how a home run hire would be willing next year but not this year. If that is the case then it sounds like they are waiting on other things to happen which if those happen then they probably don’t come.  

If it is a $ thing, like the buyout is there for a home run but not a double, then I get it. But if we are waiting on coach x who says next year is better it sounds kind of like that time you ask a girl to prom and she says I will let you know next week. 

I think this is just a coping mechanism our fans have created over many years of bad basketball and failing coaches. 

on the bright side, we might know something soon. If he’s staying we’ll see the Dolson statement backing him, oh, the day after they lose? And if it’s quiet that might mean contract buyout negotiations are happening?

Why doesn't anyone want to explain how waiting till late April next year for the buyout to drop is to long to wait to fire him anyhow? How can you wait that long especially if next year is anything like this one? Buyout is irrelevant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If we don't make a change now, we're probably getting at least 2 more years of Archie. 

If TJD comes back, we'll probably have a pretty good team next year that would get into the tournament. I don't see IU firing any coach who makes the tournament, no matter how quickly they exit.

32 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Does a blowout loss move the needle more than a mildly competitive one tomorrow night?

I don't know but Archie said today that Franklin and Race are both game-time decisions. Race is injured more than Franklin but more likely to play. 

12 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Why doesn't anyone want to explain how waiting till late April next year for the buyout to drop is to long to wait to fire him anyhow? How can you wait that long especially if next year is anything like this one? Buyout is irrelevant

I don't think they wait till April next season. As soon as the season is over you negotiate it down so your not waiting till April 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think they wait till April next season. As soon as the season is over you negotiate it down so your not waiting till April 

You don’t think they wait til April next season as in they make the move this season, or you mean after next season they don’t wait til April? 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

To me the move — this year or next — is to negotiate the mitigation. “We‘ll guarantee $5M as long as you’re looking for jobs.”

IMO whatever's going to happen will come to a conclusion by the 21st.  Either Dolson makes public comments that make it clear Archie will be back for another season or he announces that Archie has resigned.  Can't let this continue to dangle in the wind from a recruiting perspective.  With what we would hope are our primary coaching candidates all gathering in one place for March Madness, it will be easy for Dolson to "work the crowd" and get a deal done by the end of the first NCAA tournament weekend if a change is to be made.

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

You don’t think they wait til April next season as in they make the move this season, or you mean after next season they don’t wait til April? 

I was just responding to the poster who said why wait till April next season when the buyout is less. If we do let next season play out, you don't wait till April for the buyout to be less.

I was just responding to the poster who said why wait till April next season when the buyout is less. If we do let next season play out, you don't wait till April for the buyout to be less.
So why cant we do the exact same thing this year instead of the insanity of going through next season?

Just now, coonhounds said:

So why cant we do the exact same thing this year instead of the insanity of going through next season?

We can try but no guarantee that Archie would be willing to negotiate from 10 million this year to 3 million next year 

We can try but no guarantee that Archie would be willing to negotiate from 10 million this year to 3 million next year 
But his buyout is 10 million till April 22 22 why wouldn't he make them wait next season?

To me the move — this year or next — is to negotiate the mitigation. “We‘ll guarantee $5M as long as you’re looking for jobs.”
Or take $5M now guaranteed or take your chances with getting less due to mitigation? That's for separating now.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

But his buyout is 10 million till April 22 22 why wouldn't he make them wait next season?

They could have a coach already in place and just let his time expire while having already moved on I'd imagine then introduce new coach at that date.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

If we don't make a change now, we're probably getting at least 2 more years of Archie. 

If TJD comes back, we'll probably have a pretty good team next year that would get into the tournament. I don't see IU firing any coach who makes the tournament, no matter how quickly they exit.

From what I've read on this board, the chance that TJD returns is very, very minimal. Even if he doesn't get drafted, apparently the G League or playing overseas are more attractive options to him than coming back to school. 

So, I have a friend who is definitely not me.  He's a bit dumb and less-than-nuanced in, among other things, the field of contract law.  Say, he were to ask an obviously silly question such as, "if Miller's buyout is 7$ million dollars less next year, then why not just continue to pay him his $3.X million dollar salary for the next year to not coach the team?  We could bring in a new coach for next year and then buyout Miller in April 2022."  Just for the sake of humor, how would one answer such a question?

57 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

This is exactly what I’ve been saying all along. Nothing will change from now until next year except the buyout being reduced.

if there coaches we want now, go after them. If they say no today, they would say no next year. It makes zero sense to assume options will be better next year and in fact, they will likely be worse 

I got it! Just keep him as an employee this year to like sweep floors, water plants and what not. Pay him his $3+this year then fire him in April next year pay him another $3M and save yourself about $4-5M.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk