Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Think it comes down to what Drew wants. If he values the comfort and security of Baylor then he’ll stay there. IU offers a new challenge. It’s a big one, but being successful at IU is a whole different level of awesome than being successful at Baylor. 

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

No, if I'm Scott Drew why would I leave something I've built where I've been allowed to do it my way to a situation where I'm only viewed as a success if I achieve more than I've been able to so far and an administration that won't let me operate the way that I have been? 

Or Drew can wait a year or two and jump onto another program where the color gray doesn't exist and the 'expense' account is boundless.

I’m of reasonably belief that the primary “big-time” coach who would have mutual interest with IU and a doable price tag is Scott Drew.

I’m quite a bit more certain that Archie is in his last season at IU.

Yeah I had hoped we could snag someone in the top tier but I have been arguing in support of Drew for awhile too thinking he may be the best big time coach we could have a chance with. 

As others have pointed out he has some questions he would have to answer for Scott or he may get an early scratch. Wayne makes a good point that Drew would have to decide if he can do his thing here or not.  

I have been to games at Baylor before. They do not care about basketball. I mentioned before that fans stay in the cheap seats until just the game when the announcer invites them to move down. Only about half a 9,000 seat stadium was full for a top 15 matchup on ESPN. 

Waco does not compare at all to Bloomington either. TX is a hotbed of recruiting surprisingly but looking back at his past 5 years he has been winning with mostly 3 and 4 star kids. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Knight thought Homer used to bend the rules at Valpo.

You sure about this?  I remember RMK talking glowingly of Homer after a game in one of the Hoosier classics one year. 

This is not the article I was thinking of but it was the same game. 

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/knight-offers-drew-some-friendly-advice/article_ad45e81a-0f06-5f98-8b3f-d829e4877ba2.html

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

You sure about this?  I remember RMK talking glowingly of Homer after a game in one of the Hoosier classics one year. 

You are correct after looking it up. It was about Baylor & Texas Tech

https://www.espn.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714

12 hours ago, lillurk said:

Thanks for the updates.

The kneejerk anti-Fife reaction is confusing to me. If he wants the job, he’s a good recruiter, he’s learned from a great coach...I get wanting a “proven” guy but that’s not realistic right now.

As I’ve said, you hire a coach for his future.  Fife’s might not be as obviously excellent as, oh, Stevens, but a high level of success is one possibility with Fife.

Also...almost anything would be better than a lame duck year next year.

"wants the job, he's a good recruiter, he's learned from a great coach (Izzo)...." also basically described (at the time) Tom Crean. FWIW, at least Dane probably wouldn't be as "idiosyncratic" as CTC was.

hiring Fife would to me amount to the IU Admin saying "we know the current situation is intolerable, but we've so egregiously and repeatedly mis-managed the BB program for the last two decades that this is now our only way out"

it would also be to me a confirmation that, when Glass spoke about the "high expectations" IU had for the program upon Miller's hiring, he was basically blowing smoke. Like he was when he foolishly gave Miller that 7-year contract.

I wouldn't be particularly bearish OR bullish about Fife's prospects, but it would be so IU-ish to be able to scrounge up the money for the buyout and then not be able to also afford the cost of hiring an established "name" coach.

I wonder if Dane knows Kenya Hunter (maybe via Michael Lewis)?

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would rather hire Steve Alford than freaking Dan Fife and Alford is about the last guy I’d want us to hire.  Hiring Fife becauae IU wants to cheap out and not pony up for a real coach is the perfect way to ensure we remain a mediocre basketball team. I do t care that Dan Fife played at IU. I don’t care that Dan Fife played for Bob Knight. I care about what he’s done as a coach, and nothing he’s done as a coach warrants even an interview at IU, let alone the job. 

I don't think IU should hire Dan Fife either...

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Juwan Howard played in the NBA for 19 years. He won championships with LeBron James. He spent a lot of time as an assistant coach for the Miami Heat. The Fab Five is still relevant today, so recruits know about him immediately. Even then, it was a risky decision, but Michigan was in a position where they could afford to take a risk. They were coming off back to back 30 win seasons and a national title game appearance two years before. We’re in about as different of a situation as there is. We screw up this hire and that could be it for IU basketball. We really want to risk it all on Dan Fife? Hard pass. 

I wouldn't want to risk it all on Dan Fife...

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Oats quote 

"Modern basketball, you're not catching a ball and putting it on your hip and staring at the defense for five seconds before you do anything. That's not how basketball's played anymore," Oats said. "But I'm sure dad, uncle, grandpa, professional skills trainer, you're gonna do all this mid-range, triple threat, all this old-fashioned garbage."

A lot of old IU fans probably wouldn’t like this 

I’m not old but I like points, shooting, and wins. So...I like Oats (I know it ain’t happening).

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Football school.

Football state.

Small arena

or

Indiana guy.

Get back to family.

Major pay raise.

Shadow of Knight has largely lifted

Major new challenge after a long time in one place

I think this is a compelling case, but once you’ve built a perennial contender at Baylor, I wonder if the appeal of moving temporarily farther from a championship to build a program lacks the same appeal

I guess my Drew take, setting aside gray area, Hanner, etc.: he’ll probably flirt and genuinely consider, then get a fat raise at Baylor.

Plus if they’re still playing in three or four weeks, the timing is bad.

Honestly not blowing smoke up anyone's arse, but I had worked with Dane's mother in law for many years in my school system until she recently retired. However, she is still a colleague and friend so I would be more than happy to inquire. I know she is probably savvy enough to not come right out and tell me anything, but if there is a chance to see her daughter and family closer to home she might give a hint?!

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Unfortunately, I agree. B1G basketball forces most more skill-based coaches to change. Underwood was the ultimate spread guy when he got the Illinois gig. He would never have recruited a kid like Cockburn. He had no fit in that structure. But after watching his offense get thoroughly disrupted by B1G physicality, he went out and brought in a hammer. Completely changed what he’d always coached. Same on D. Pitino did the same thing, just unsuccessfully. The 1 really successful exception is probably Beilein. And it’s just continuing to get worse.

Good coaches adapt.  Bad coaches don't.  

46 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I think this is a compelling case, but once you’ve built a perennial contender at Baylor, I wonder if the appeal of moving temporarily farther from a championship to build a program lacks the same appeal

The flip side could be that he’s sort of maxed out at Baylor (minus of course any banners) and nothing he does will make basketball more important at that school or in that state that football. He could take on a challenge like Indiana and if it didn’t work out, he still has the remarkable thing he did at Baylor on his resume, and there are a hundred Baylors out there that would welcome him with open arms. 

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Good coaches adapt.  Bad coaches don't.  

Sure they do. But the point that USPS was making was that a Coach like Nate Öats can look at the B1G product and decide there are better fits for their philosophy of play. Of course he’s right. And that doesn’t make them bad coaches or questionable competitors. It just means they don’t want to coach in the UFC.