Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

What is the appeal of Wes Miller? The only thing I really know about him is when UNC-G was left out of the tourney a couple years ago as what many though was the biggest snub. But a look at this resume shows 1 tourney appearance in 9 years and it took until year 6 before he had a winning record. He's a Tar Heel that wrote a book about his time there. He'd pull a Roy Williams and bolt for UNC in a heartbeat, and that job will be open in the not so distant future. 

Just now, NashvilleHoosier said:

What is the appeal of Wes Miller? The only thing I really know about him is when UNC-G was left out of the tourney a couple years ago as what many though was the biggest snub. But a look at this resume shows 1 tourney appearance in 9 years and it took until year 6 before he had a winning record. He's a Tar Heel that wrote a book about his time there. He'd pull a Roy Williams and bolt for UNC in a heartbeat, and that job will be open in the not so distant future. 

Seems like a worse Archie. He's young so that helps but looking at his offensive numbers, he's never had an offense ranked higher than 150 on Kenpom. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Okay! 

Fife or Gates. lol

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

For me?

We interview Fife, Dennis Gates, Shrewsbury, Wes Miller, Dana Ford, and Travis Steele.

One of them will blow the doors off of the interview panel. Hire that one.

Steele is another good one that Ive overlooked. Also has a pretty cool first name. Would I have to give up my brown banners handle  to him?

Seeing some of the possible candidates for this year makes me sad that we got this hire so wrong during our last search. Looking back, the potential candidates seemed a lot better than the one's that are being thrown out now. 

Getting one of Drew, Stevens, Musselman, or Oats seems like a pipe dream by the sounds of it. I'm sure I could talk myself into Fife if that's what we end up doing but there is definitely is a lot of risk with him. Would love a more proven candidate since we've been so mediocre for the last 25 years. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”

If Indiana wants to replace Archie Miller, it won’t be because of Cuban.

Sounds like the owner of a team who hasn't won a playoff series in ten years. 

2 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

Don't buy it. If he were as good of a coach as some on here believe and could take IU to the promise land, someone would have hired him in the past 10 years - IU included.

I'm not disagreeing that we may need an IU guy but that CANNOT be the only determining factor. Seems like it is with Fife. There are plenty of assistants out there that have, and still are working under hall-of-fame coaches. 

Could be after his stint at IUPUFW he came to the conclusion that working as an Assistant for several years and learning from one of the best was the career path that put him in best position for success in terms of running a high major program?

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I feel like all the national media guys think he is coming back for one more year. They are usually wrong so I take that as good news. If what Pap said earlier is true, Archie is gone. Scott Dolson knew a year ago when he was hired that this day could come. It shouldn't be a shock that it's time to move on from Archie. 

“Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington.”

-Slam.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

“Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington.”

-Slam.

To say that Pete Thamel is an unbiased reporter for this particular story may be a bit of a stretch. Judging from what I have seen he seemed to have a pretty good relationship with Tom Crean. He's even hosted a podcast with Crean labeling him as a "premier college hoops coach." While his assertions about the IU Administration may be correct, I am not convinced he's unbiased in this situation.

https://www.si.com/college/2017/03/21/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-fired

https://puntjohnpunt.com/2017/03/20/urban-meyer-doesnt-know-who-tom-allen-is-and-other-pete-thamel-jokes/

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/974306747656622080

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-yahoo-sports-college-podcast/episode/tom-creans-football-life-56154389

Just seems to me Mr. Thamel is a bit partial to Tom Crean so it doesn't surprise me he views IU in a relatively negative light.

16 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

-Slam.

I got a chuckle out of Bobby Hurley & Mick Cronin. No one has mentioned their names

54 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

You’re probably right about UNC, which would probably preclude him under any circumstances. But, if you get a chance during tourney season, watch UNCG play. They really defend, and Miller game plans more broadly than any college coach I can think of.  They play man, multiple zones, they play 3/4 traps as well as full court. And they play them all well. They’re constantly changing up and they get teams playing deep into the clock and running bad stuff as a result. And he runs a lot of subtle actions that create a ton of clean looks. I am absolutely a fan. He’s a Dude and he’s gonna be big time somewhere.

-Slam.

Our administration isn’t the problem though...

With fife has anybody mentioned potential recruits who are going to msu who may be inclined to switch and go with fife to iu? Just wondering especially with the transfer thing this year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk