Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I'll toss a name I haven't heard yet. Randy Bennett. He's 58 and no clue on contract outside of he has extension until 26-27. I know he's pretty much only been a west coast guy. Anybody know much else?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My favorite Coach in CBB. He gets more done with less than anyone in the country. His games are must see tv if you’re in to coaching. But I do not believe he would have the slightest interest in a fishbowl like IU and I do not believe he would thrive there. 

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

Don't buy it. If he were as good of a coach as some on here believe and could take IU to the promise land, someone would have hired him in the past 10 years - IU included.

I'm not disagreeing that we may need an IU guy but that CANNOT be the only determining factor. Seems like it is with Fife. There are plenty of assistants out there that have, and still are working under hall-of-fame coaches. 

We'd be taking the same amount of risk with hiring any mid-major head coach basically. Fife knows the B1G, he recruits the B1G talent, he's a IU guy, he could probably build a great recruiting staff, he can unite the Indiana fan base for once.

We all thought we could land a big fish four years ago and we landed a mid-major guy. Nothing has changed, we've actually gotten worse and coaches have signed contracts elsewhere, there's really no indication that Indiana can hire a big-time guy this year. 

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Absolutely yes to Wes Miller.

Wes Miller is waiting for UNC to open up, which could be anytime.

Seems like a silly move to jump to a sinking ship for a couple years and then take the UNC job. 

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is BEFORE his two years of extreme success in his first head coaching job. "If I'm not invited to their weddings I'm not doing my job."

From a BIG TIME recruiter who graduated Cal Berkley in three years.

I know nothing about him except what I saw in this video, and his record on paper at Cleveland State. But I am definitely intrigued. 

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is BEFORE his two years of extreme success in his first head coaching job. "If I'm not invited to their weddings I'm not doing my job."

From a BIG TIME recruiter who graduated Cal Berkley in three years.

With all due respect, he was 11-21 his first season. I'm not sure that's extremely successful. And remember I said with "all due respect" which, if I learned anything from Ricky Bobby, it means I can say anything I want

8 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

With all due respect, he was 11-21 his first season. I'm not sure that's extremely successful. And remember I said with "all due respect" which, if I learned anything from Ricky Bobby, it means I can say anything I want

When you win conference coach of the year at 11-21, you are indeed extremely successful.

As with many things, sometimes there’s more to the story than meets the eye. Read this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2020/03/a-man-with-a-plan-cleveland-states-dennis-gates-lost-20-games-but-is-horizon-league-co-coach-of-the-year-in-first-season.html%3foutputType=amp

Just now, Stuhoo said:

When you win conference coach of the year at 11-21, you are indeed extremely successful 

Oh, well thanks for setting me straight. I admittedly had to look up who he was and found his Wiki page - just his 2 year results didn't blow me away, or at least his first season I should say didn't. Feel free to delete my original response as maybe it makes me look foolish.

A few thoughts...

It's been mentioned that the IU program is a train wreck, so why would a good coach want to come here? I know the situations are different, but UK was probably in just as bad a spot before they hired Calipari. There's no doubt that this year has been disappointing, but there's good talent on the team, and a lot of the young guys appear to have bright futures. If the coach can keep the 2021 recruiting class, he'd also be bringing in a strong 4* big man and a shooting guard who's ready to contribute right away. This does not need to be a long turnaround. Archie deserves plenty of criticism, but IMO he would be leaving his successor a better situation than the one he inherited.

On Fife, would he bring Emoni Bates :). None of us obviously know much about Fife's coaching acumen, ability to build a program, etc. But if the interviews make them comfortable with those pieces, then I'm fine taking a risk on an unproven coach. There are only a few truly difference making coaches that give their teams a chance to win a championship in college basketball, and I'd much rather take a risk on either a top assistant or a successful young mid-level coach to try to find that guy than settle for a candidate with a proven track record that is likely good, but not great. I want to aim at Big 10 and national championships, not just consistent top 25 seasons. If we can get Beard, Stevens, or Bennett, then you take those guys no question. But otherwise I'm happy with a less well-known candidate that brings some upside.

29 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Don't buy it. If he were as good of a coach as some on here believe and could take IU to the promise land, someone would have hired him in the past 10 years - IU included.

I'm not disagreeing that we may need an IU guy but that CANNOT be the only determining factor. Seems like it is with Fife. There are plenty of assistants out there that have, and still are working under hall-of-fame coaches. 

He's actually turned down several Mid-major jobs

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Oh, well thanks for setting me straight. I admittedly had to look up who he was and found his Wiki page - just his 2 year results didn't blow me away, or at least his first season I should say didn't. Feel free to delete my original response as maybe it makes me look foolish.

Too funny! You’re in charge of whether to delete your response!

13 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I still, still, think it’s wild to hear things like I won’t go to anymore games or support them etc but also person “x” needs to donate millions of dollars to get who I want.

You aren’t willing to spend $50 on a bad product but expect someone to spend millions on a bad product.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well, in that case they would be spending millions of dollars to try to get a good product. 

I wouldn't do it if I had that kind of money. But teams have boosters for a reason, and the reason is that some really rich people reallllly care about sports. Enough to donate millions of dollars sometimes. Some Baylor donor just gave Baylor $100 million for a new basketball arena. So, I don't expect anyone to spend millions to buyout Archie's contract. But, there are some rich people out there who might want to do it. It's on Dolson to find them and get the money. 

21 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Just that Dolson has been making calls to alums/boosters regarding money. I reached out to a family member who received that call and confirmed others have. I still have some hooks in the water so when I hear back- if it's anything interesting- I'll get it to you

Such a sexy post.  Dolson's gonna make this happen!  Thank you.

How many millions did your family give?  We need Brad Stevens