Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I remember going to the 2018 Seymour regional watching TJD vs. Romeo thinking "these may be the two guys that bring Indiana back". Good players but was way off on that thinking. 

Don’t think you’re way off. I think coaching has hurt both of them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

If an IU guy is to get the job, then it would need to be Alford. I dont want him at all based off of his coaching ability and his track record as a human being, but he would give us the best chance to win, out of all the Indiana guys." 

What’s weird to me is that people don’t want Steve Alford because of the Pierce situation from 19 years ago, but they’re ok with Fife who coaches at Michigan Stare. We know what’s happened at MSU. It’s just as bad, if not worse, than what Alford did. Are folks just assuming that he’s completely clean and had no role in it whatsoever despite coaching there for a decade?

7 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Chris007: I know talk has been about who we will get to replace and realistic options, but was wondering what percentage you’d put on it that Archie is indeed gone after this season? Thanks 

Interested in his response for this question. Had Indiana not completely collapsed I would say he would be back. That being said, I find it hard to believe they can bring Archie back after this year. With the tournament in your home state...on your home court... Also this team is probably going to finish with 15 losses. That's about as many as we had in year one and we've played less games this season. 

I'm still stunned by Archie Miller last night.

He was SITTING when the game started. I've never seen that from him. Last night was the least active I've seen him in his four years at Indiana on the sideline. EDIT: Didn't we see the same thing from CTC near March of his last year? He was less active walking the sideline and we all know how much he loves his sidelines. 

His post-game presser was also odd for his nature. 

He's clearly frustrated. I feel for him and his staff, 15+ people are about to be fired. Nature of the job I and we all know. Not how many of us thought this program would be when he got hired. 

Walk away from the job Archie, negotiate the buy-out, save some face and land a nice D1 gig in two years!

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s weird to me is that people don’t want Steve Alford because of the Pierce situation from 19 years ago, but they’re ok with Fife who coaches at Michigan Stare. We know what’s happened at MSU. It’s just as bad, if not worse, than what Alford did. Are folks just assuming that he’s completely clean and had no role in it whatsoever despite coaching there for a decade?

I think the difference is that Alford was in part directly responsible for the Pierce problem; not only was he the guy in charge, if I remember correctly he was the guy in charge that called the campus ministry to attempt to counsel the victim to not pursue the assault criminally.

That's very different than "Fife has been with MSU's program throughout."

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You are getting different information than I am. I'll leave it at that. 

I think there's an important distinction here.  We finished $40M below projections, not $40M below zero.  We didn't lose money overall, we just didn't make the amount we were projected to make pre covid. 

From what I understand the family has been telling everyone who will listen that he is not coming back, they know he's not an NBA guy yet but they're fine with G league or Europe. I was told last week he was thinking about opting out and starting to prepare for the NBA

This would be incredibly disheartening and selfish, not to mention a major indictment on Miller and the whole program on top of the National-stage train wreck in which we’ve found ourselves.

I like TJD, he seems like a good kid with character. I get the episode last night behind the bench (which I still haven’t seen, however) boils down to a talented young kid massively frustrated. But if he followed through with the scenario above that would be much more depressing to me than just having a wildly underperforming basketball program. That signals a whole new level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think the difference is that Alford was in part directly responsible for the Pierce problem; not only was he the guy in charge, if I remember correctly he was the guy in charge that called the campus ministry to attempt to counsel the victim to not pursue the assault criminally.

That's very different than "Fife has been with MSU's program throughout."

We all know about the Izzo allegations. And, if witnesses are to be believed, he’s involved assistant coaches in the past.

Smith told police he had already spoken to Izzo and assistant coaches Dwayne Stephens and Mike Garland about the night in question by the time officers interviewed him. He told school investigators the same.

"Mr. Smith said he was sought out by Mr. Izzo and other members of the basketball coaching staff," reads the school's Title IX report, according to ESPN. "Mr. Smith said they asked him what he knew and if he was OK."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1968534/amp

Fife is never mentioned, and for all I know he’s squeaky clean. I hope that he is. But when you’re an assistant at a program with a culture like Michigan State athletics, it’s at least something to think about. 

18 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Chris007: I know talk has been about who we will get to replace and realistic options, but was wondering what percentage you’d put on it that Archie is indeed gone after this season? Thanks 

I would say ask some of these other guys, not me. I just bring to the table what I'm told. People don't like it. I'm a "Fife guy" even though I'm told he is the most realistic candidate. At halftime last night I was told by someone I trust that IU is having cold feet after having a 40 million dollar deficit this year. Was also told if he loses out, no chance of coming back. So flip a coin I guess. 

4 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

This would be incredibly disheartening and selfish, not to mention a major indictment on Miller and the whole program on top of the National-stage train wreck in which we’ve found ourselves.

I like TJD, he seems like a good kid with character. I get the episode last night behind the bench (which I still haven’t seen, however) boils down to a talented young kid massively frustrated. But if he followed through with the scenario above that would be much more depressing to me than just having a wildly underperforming basketball program. That signals a whole new level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the goal all along was two years and leave. 

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Count me in the camp that Fife isn't ready for IU and what it will take.  He's never ran a mid level program let alone a top sized program in the country.  I can't get excited about that hire at all.  It does seem like the type of hire IU would want to try.  

Not sure how much IU football you watch, but were you thinking the same about Tom Allen? I know I was and gladly eating all the crow I can handle.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Count me in the camp that Fife isn't ready for IU and what it will take.  He's never ran a mid level program let alone a top sized program in the country.  I can't get excited about that hire at all.  It does seem like the type of hire IU would want to try.  

Wayne,

I think we can all agree that Indiana will try to get a top coach here but the chances of us actually landing a top candidate seems slim. We all thought a top fish was coming a few years ago and we hired a mid-major guy. I don't see why things would be different this year.