Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 hours ago, Magisterium said:

wonder if he and Dolson have already had "the talk"

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Dolson is telling Archie to wear a condom?

7 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Dang have you been thinking about this for awhile or did you just whip this out this morning.  impressive work

Alright guys, this is getting a bit much. Keep it clean!     :)

23 minutes ago, GaryP said:

Whatever IU does,I hope it happens quickly before players decide to jump ship.

To me, this is a big issue.  I think most of our players really want to play for IU, but I think it's reached a point they no longer want to play for Archie Miller.   I didn't watch so have only read accounts but apparently there was some kind of issue between TJD and Archie?  

We can talk all we want about the upcoming open season for transfers but I'm not confident we're all that attractive as a landing spot.  

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not that they're anywhere close to the same but could you imagine if Michigan would have said that about Juwan Howard. What had he done as a coach to deserve the Michigan job?

Juwan Howard played in the NBA for 19 years. He won championships with LeBron James. He spent a lot of time as an assistant coach for the Miami Heat. The Fab Five is still relevant today, so recruits know about him immediately. Even then, it was a risky decision, but Michigan was in a position where they could afford to take a risk. They were coming off back to back 30 win seasons and a national title game appearance two years before. We’re in about as different of a situation as there is. We screw up this hire and that could be it for IU basketball. We really want to risk it all on Dan Fife? Hard pass. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

To me, this is a big issue.  I think most of our players really want to play for IU, but I think it's reached a point they no longer want to play for Archie Miller.   I didn't watch so have only read accounts but apparently there was some kind of issue between TJD and Archie?  

We can talk all we want about the upcoming open season for transfers but I'm not confident we're all that attractive as a landing spot.  

And maybe Fife, with his recruiting connections, can change that if he ends up being "the guy".

Hiring a top assistant is for his first HC job is not a new idea.  Both the NBA and the NFL do this.  Would I prefer to have someone with an established winning pedigree at a P5 conference take over, sure, but they all come with risk too.  Current P5 coaches that might come are limited to perhaps Scott Drew.  Former P5 coaches are older, have health questions, liked Italian restaurants for 15 minutes or they are now at a lower level. They all have some risk.  

I am more than fine to go with Fife as I understand who we are now.  I am hopeful though that he can find that veteran coach to be his right hand man though

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Juwan Howard played in the NBA for 19 years. He won championships with LeBron James. He spent a lot of time as an assistant coach for the Miami Heat. The Fab Five is still relevant today, so recruits know about him immediately. Even then, it was a risky decision, but Michigan was in a position where they could afford to take a risk. They were coming off back to back 30 win seasons and a national title game appearance two years before. We’re in about as different of a situation as there is. We screw up this hire and that could be it for IU basketball. We really want to risk it all on Dan Fife? Hard pass. 

I wish we had the money to spend that you think we do. I totally disagree but will move on. Nothing is set in stone, maybe you will get your wish for whoever it is that you want

This has been proven in the last couple years under Archie.
Don’t know if the issue last night was with Archie or another player. If I read TJD lips correctly last night he would be on the bench if he said that to the coach regardless. But I may not have read them correctly since the game was so exciting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

We have to be realistic with coaches, I mean let's look at a list.

- Stevens : A total pipe dream, we all want. More than likely not happening sadly. Our dream candidate! 

- Beard: Loves Texas and his family does as well. He's paid great at TT, has never coached north of Missouri. He's not coming to this train-wreck.

- Drew: He wanted to deport Hanner Perea while Scott Dolson was on staff here - NOT HAPPENING.

- Few: LOL!

- Matta : Hasn't coached in four years and more than likely can't walk around a block in Bloomington. 

- Belien: Seems great but his "Thugs" comment at the Cavs might do him in.. even with recruiting 

- Alford: Got fired at UCLA after going to the Sweet 16 twice? I mean... come on now. Don't forget Iowa situation.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I wish we had the money to spend that you think we do. I totally disagree but will move on. Nothing is set in stone, maybe you will get your wish for whoever it is that you want

I'll repeat myself...IF the big $ boosters want to make a serious run at a big name coach they will come up with the $$.  IF they don't then I believe you will see us take a shot on an up and comer.  The mistake we can't make is to pay someone like a Dane Fife a contract like Archie Miller.  IF we are taking a chance we have to have an out to cut bait if it isn't working.  NO reason he would deserve 3mm/yr with a large buyout.