Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Another reason why Dane Fife is the right IU guy for the job?

- RECRUITING CONNECTIONS! 

We're talking about an assistant coach at big time program that knows damn near every assistant coach in the Power-5 and more. Why is this good? Well if Dane is hired, he can recruit some top assistant coaches to Indiana. We could potentially have a staff with great assistant coaches who are very skilled in recruiting. We need the talent!

I'm not sure there are any players I'm worried about jumping ship. I want Franklin, Rob, Race to stay, Maybe Lander, Trey. Also a lot of these players would have to have a school that wants them. Some it might be a smaller school.

I think a smaller school could be what a kid or two might need.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He said earlier this year on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast that 3 jobs he would take for sure would be IU, Michigan, Michigan State. I have no idea if he has been reached out to or not. We're going to be staying with him all next week in Indy so plenty of time to have talks with him. 

Anyone have a link to this podcast?  I found one of him on in 2019 so that may be it

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Another reason why Dane Fife is the right IU guy for the job?

- RECRUITING CONNECTIONS! 

We're talking about an assistant coach at big time program that knows damn near every assistant coach in the Power-5 and more. Why is this good? Well if Dane is hired, he can recruit some top assistant coaches to Indiana. We could potentially have a staff with great assistant coaches who are very skilled in recruiting. We need the talent!

Maybe even cover up some sexual assaults. Never know what you'll get right? Box of chocolates anyone?

I'm on the Fife train! He's been at MSU since 2011 and they've been pretty damn good. He and Dewayne Stephens have been constants on that staff and no doubt recruited a lot of that top talent. This is their worst year and. ahem, they beat IU twice! It all makes senses! Former player, good recruiter, etc.... Bring him on!

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure there are any players I'm worried about jumping ship. I want Franklin, Rob, Race to stay, Maybe Lander, Trey. Also a lot of these players would have to have a school that wants them. Some it might be a smaller school.

Bring back Lander, Leal, Frank, Galloway, Geronimo, Race and let's get it going. 

1 minute ago, craigyv88 said:

I'd love to see Fife have more of a head coaching sample size as much as anybody, but when looking at the amount of head coaching experience current Big Ten coaches had prior to landing their current jobs, Fife actually fits the mold more than we might think. 

image.png.e9965b49615194079545a005d9137417.png

Current Big Ten coaches had an average of 5.4 years of Division I head coaching experience prior to being at their current job.  Fife has 6.  Being a long-time assistant under a Hall of Fame coach actually seems to be a more common denominator among Big Ten coaches than an extensive amount of prior head coaching experience. 

Tom Izzo ----> Jud Heathcote

Matt Painter ---> Gene Keady

Chris Collins ---> Mike Krzyzewski

Greg Gard ----> Bo Ryan

Richard Pitino ---> Rick Pitino

Honorable mention to Steve Pikiell who played for and started his coaching career with Jim Calhoun despite only coaching at UConn one season.

Obviously Fife ---> Izzo fits right in with this trend and qualifying characteristic of Big Ten coaches.  If I'm Scott Dolson, Fife isn't the first call I make but he is certainly worth a spot on the list in my opinion.

image.png.29b6d736b3c8414c8e501034cb6e6c61.png

Good post! Thank you for this information and work!

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Anyone have a link to this podcast?  I found one of him on in 2019 so that may be it

I think you have to be a member of Peegs to get the podcast but not totally for sure on that. 

I have not heard his name mentioned. I think with his career record, being fired from two P5 schools, not being a good human imo and being close with Dolson makes him not a candidate. 
And if $ is as big as issue as we all think Alford also has a $5M buyout while other candidates have no buyout.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I'd love to see Fife have more of a head coaching sample size as much as anybody, but when looking at the amount of head coaching experience current Big Ten coaches had prior to landing their current jobs, Fife actually fits the mold more than we might think. 

image.png.e9965b49615194079545a005d9137417.png

Current Big Ten coaches had an average of 5.4 years of Division I head coaching experience prior to being at their current job.  Fife has 6.  Being a long-time assistant under a Hall of Fame coach actually seems to be a more common denominator among Big Ten coaches than an extensive amount of prior head coaching experience. 

Tom Izzo ----> Jud Heathcote

Matt Painter ---> Gene Keady

Chris Collins ---> Mike Krzyzewski

Greg Gard ----> Bo Ryan

Richard Pitino ---> Rick Pitino

Honorable mention to Steve Pikiell who played for and started his coaching career with Jim Calhoun despite only coaching at UConn one season.

Obviously Fife ---> Izzo fits right in with this trend and qualifying characteristic of Big Ten coaches.  If I'm Scott Dolson, Fife isn't the first call I make but he is certainly worth a spot on the list in my opinion.

image.png.29b6d736b3c8414c8e501034cb6e6c61.png

Dang have you been thinking about this for awhile or did you just whip this out this morning.  impressive work

I would rather hire Steve Alford than freaking Dan Fife and Alford is about the last guy I’d want us to hire.  Hiring Fife becauae IU wants to cheap out and not pony up for a real coach is the perfect way to ensure we remain a mediocre basketball team. I do t care that Dan Fife played at IU. I don’t care that Dan Fife played for Bob Knight. I care about what he’s done as a coach, and nothing he’s done as a coach warrants even an interview at IU, let alone the job. 

Bring back Lander, Leal, Frank, Galloway, Geronimo, Race and let's get it going. 

I can agree with most on this list. I would like to see TJD be talked into another year under a new coach who would make him work on his effort and right hand. I also think you need to add a solid big to play the 5.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would rather hire Steve Alford than freaking Dan Fife and Alford is about the last guy I’d want us to hire.  Hiring Fife becauae IU wants to cheap out and not pony up for a real coach is the perfect way to ensure we remain a mediocre basketball team. I do t care that Dan Fife played at IU. I don’t care that Dan Fife played for Bob Knight. I care about what he’s done as a coach, and nothing he’s done as a coach warrants even an interview at IU, let alone the job. 

Not that they're anywhere close to the same but could you imagine if Michigan would have said that about Juwan Howard. What had he done as a coach to deserve the Michigan job?

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Keep in mind too that with players getting an extra year of eligibility there may not be room for them somewhere else. 

You take the chance with Fife before you take the chance with Steve. Steve might get us a Sweet 16, big deal. We're basically making a circle back to CTC with Alford. You know exactly what you'll get with Alford.

With Fife there is a chance we get something better than a Sweet 16. Plus we get a candidate that kids know and see at AAU events weekly (Pre-COVID). 

1 minute ago, GaryP said:

I can agree with most on this list. I would like to see TJD be talked into another year under a new coach who would make him work on his effort and right hand. I also think you need to add a solid big to play the 5.

I also would add Rob. His problems this year has come from the coaching IMO