Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

42 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

RE: The Age Issue

I know we'd all love to hire a younger coach who could be successful here for the next 20-25 years but I'm honestly not sure how realistic that actually is? We tried that with Archie and it didn't work. We tried it with Crean and it didn't work. We tried it with Davis and it didn't work.

I just want us to get the best coach for Indiana that we can possibly get... regardless of age. Just get a good coach. I understand the hesitation for someone like Beilein and that's fair. But we've missed the tournament so much in the last 20 years that we need to make sure we can get someone in here to right the ship and put us on the right course of success once again. I'm afraid that trying to pick the next hot coaching prospect is a bit of a crap shoot and presents a high risk of experiencing the same thing we have just experienced.

I know some folks are reserved about picking a guy like Beilein or Matta for health/age reasons... but we know they can coach in the Big Ten. They have had MANY years of high-level success. Even if they were only here for 5-10 years they would most likely put us on the right track for success... at least becoming a perennial tournament team again.

People seem intrigued by guys like Musselman and Oats. And they may end up great coaches. But each of them have had exactly ONE year of Power 5 success. That's risky.

Well stated, kind of where I am.  At this point we need someone that can get the program back on stable ground so we can move forward and build, we cannot afford another young guy and have to replace him in 4-5 years because we whiffed again.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This thread is trending toward Beilein now. And that's fine. But here's the thing nobody seems to be addressing: Does he want to coach college ball again?

Sure, he's a proven coach and knows the game, but can a 68-year-old fellow recruit again -- or does he even want to? I got the impression when he left Michigan that he was pretty straight-laced dude as far as NCAA rules go, and was tired of all the blurring of the lines around him -- and that's why he took the Cavs' job. And he was pretty quick to leave that gig when it turned sour. 

I'm just not sure he wants to be involved in what it takes to run a college program again. Obviously, I have no idea what's in the man's head, but that's just the feeling I got from what I've read. 

I'm also not sure I would want to play for someone who might think that my playing style is like playing like a "bunch of thugs". I think that would turn off a lot of recruits

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm also not sure I would want to play for someone who might think that my playing style is like playing like a "bunch of thugs". I think that would turn off a lot of recruits

Completely forgot that! Wow.. that whole situation at the Cavs was a complete mess. Another candidate down the drain more than likely..

We're screwed. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No Beilein for me.

NONE of these guys is a guarantee. I'm hoping for a 30 year run IF we find the right guy. Beilein will be 98 years old 30 years from now.

Also, I have a lot of trouble remembering how to spell "Beilein."

We’d be seeing a lot of “daggum B-Line trail” and I don’t have it in me to correct everyone. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

We need to stop thinking about 30 years from now. That's what got us Archie Miller. I'm a lot more concerned about the next 5-10 years than what may be happening in 2040 or 2050. 

Well Beieilieieiein will be 78 ten years from now. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We need to stop thinking about 30 years from now. That's what got us Archie Miller. I'm a lot more concerned about the next 5-10 years than what may be happening in 2040 or 2050. 

In 5 years Beilein will be available to be all of our players’ great grandpa. 

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If it didn't immediately turn off recruits, you can bet every single coach recruiting against him will try to make sure it does. 

No Beilein for me.
NONE of these guys is a guarantee. I'm hoping for a 30 year run IF we find the right guy. Beilein will be 98 years old 30 years from now.
Also, I have a lot of trouble remembering how to spell "Beilein."

I do agree as a stand alone I'm not real big on him but like I said if there was a clear heir apparent on staff with him I could get behind it. Personally I think there are many solid options that are attainable out there that aren't above 65 years old.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Stevens and Beard are my 1a and 1b. Problem is they're also both unicorns. After that it's Scott Drew then Matta (if healthy enough). Which leads me to a question can a botched back surgery be fixed?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

No Beilein for me.

I think you have mentioned the key and that is NONE (except perhaps BS, BD, TB) of these guys is a guarantee.  I think the decision has a large risk management component.  Do you bring in an established P5 winner and if so they likely have a little risk/baggage.  Maybe they are older, take off their shirt and paint themselves orange, have some NCAA violations, have a bad domestic violence situation/response, has a bad back.  Maybe they are younger and we "think" or "hope" the success they have at a lower level will continue.  

None, but a few, will be true home runs at the announcement date.  That is fine because wins will be the true measure of a winner.  

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This thread is trending toward Beilein now. And that's fine. But here's the thing nobody seems to be addressing: Does he want to coach college ball again?

Sure, he's a proven coach and knows the game, but can a 68-year-old fellow recruit again -- or does he even want to? I got the impression when he left Michigan that he was pretty straight-laced dude as far as NCAA rules go, and was tired of all the blurring of the lines around him -- and that's why he took the Cavs' job. And he was pretty quick to leave that gig when it turned sour. 

I just got the vibe that he was basically saying: "I'm tired of playing by the rules while others aren't and I'm getting beat in recruiting. I've had enough of this BS."

I'm just not sure he wants to be involved in what it takes to run a college program again. Obviously, I have no idea what's in the man's head, but that's just the feeling I got from what I've read. 

On the Assembly Call last week they had a guest who is a Michigan guy and is apparently Beilein's neighbor in Ann Arbor.  He said Beilein kept his place there and he occasionally talks with him or his wife.  The topic of Beilein wanting to coach again came up and the guest said pretty undoubtedly that he believed Beilein wants to and will coach again.  It was an interesting listen. 

I think IU would be an opportunity he would definitely come back to coaching for and I really don't think he wants that awful tenure with the Cavs to be his final experience as a coach after such a long and successful career.  I don't like the idea of being guaranteed to be back in coach change mode in 5 years or so even if Beilein would be successful, but given this will be the first time since 1919 that IU will go 5 straight years with a losing record in the Big Ten I think it is imperative to get a proven winner at this level, if at all possible.   I certainly understand the concerns and he may need to build out his staff a certain way to make it work, but I absolutely think Beilein is still a good option given where things are at with IU right now. 

14 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Stevens and Beard are my 1a and 1b. Problem is they're also both unicorns. After that it's Scott Drew then Matta (if healthy enough). Which leads me to a question can a botched back surgery be fixed?

I thought it was botched surgeries? 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

My question would be can he recruit. Do HS players want to go play for someone who is their grandpa's age? Will coaches use his age against him when recruiting kids. Will someone his age be at the school all 4 years of your eligibility? Those are questions I would need answered before I would be OK with him leading us. 

It's a reasonable question- there are plenty of old coaches around, but they seem to be of the cheating variety (K, Williams, Boeheim, Pitinio all come to mind) so can a play by the rules guy do it? He had a couple Michigan teams that were competitive at the highest level, so I would be inclined to say 'yes'. 

Does he even WANT to coach again? I guess all you can do is ask.

I would prefer someone 10-15yrs younger, but Beilein would make me feel MUCH better about the short & medium term of IU basketball. Dude can coach.