Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

I am not in tune and really doubt many posters on here are even chris said he don't have the access he did because of covid. That being said I am confident our guys have had the access all teams have had and probably more than smaller schools. I would also guess that practicing shooting on their own time would not have been restricted much. I will get behind it hampering lander in getting experience in spring in summer because of certain restrictions. Our shooting is a pandemic in its own right under archie so I don't think covid has influenced it. I would say guessing but it almost has to be working on defense more than shooting. Crean was big on getting shots up in practice and on their own time that was his big thing was shot numbers and it showed we had some great shooters but terrible defense. I would guess archie hasn't valued that as much and it is hurting

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You get what you measure and reward.  Defense has improved.  Shooting sucks.  

59 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

@ people that defended Archie over the years, even through much of this year, what was it that finally broke the camels back?

this isn’t meant as a gotcha at all, I’m just curious how the half that had faith in him all of a sudden lost it. His support from this crowd seems to have vanished in the last 3 weeks or so and I’m just curious why?

For me it was his complete failure to adapt to a big time program.  He could get away with being one dimensional at Dayton.  In the Big10 you have to be good on both sides of the ball.  Crean had the problem on defense.  Archie has the same problem on offense.  

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO one of the better articles discussing where IU basketball is today and the conclusion is it's time to cut the cord.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller?fbclid=IwAR18EwLyMeQ7DIrbcrTnbLkPKoHXi9UUdqFp4PBm_i8rBkh_Mv_YdMYLxoU

He hasn't had a single season with a winning conference record, that's painful to read.

He's right that this team isn't loaded with talent, but there's enough to not be this embarrassing.

17 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Romeo was hurt the entire year and he's still hurt with the Boston Celtics. He hasn't played this year and isn't expected to come back until next month. His stint at IU was not an accurate representation of his abilities and It's not Archie's fault entirely.  Morgan did what he could along side a hurt NBA player and a walk-on. 

It hasn't been good for Archie and the program but if theres a year where he has a legit shot of being realistically good, then it's next year. It's obvious he's more than likely gone after next season but he'll get a chance to save his job this up-coming year. The tend says next year won't be good but it's basketball, crazier things have happened in the history of the sport. 

Archie didn’t do Romeo any favors. He utilized him horribly. Despite that and despite being hurt, he still averaged 16 ppg in conference play. 

Archie will get a chance to save his job next year, but he doesn’t deserve that chance. He’s had 4 years to save his job. Next year possibly being a good one also depends on players not transferring out. Lander especially. If I was him, I’d think quite a bit about transferring. Even more so if TJD leaves. Go find a coach that knows how to coach and utilize guards. 

Most of that SI article wasn’t new to me, but I did learn one thing. Archie has the worst recruiting class in the Big Ten coming in next year. Dead last. 14th out of 14. 78th in the country. There’s zero excuses for that, and it’s yet another reason why he shouldn’t return for next season. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Most of that SI article wasn’t new to me, but I did learn one thing. Archie has the worst recruiting class in the Big Ten coming in next year. Dead last. 14th out of 14. 71st in the country. There’s zero excuses for that, and it’s yet another reason why he shouldn’t return for next season. 

This was news to me too, and good lord, that's horrifying and completely unacceptable here. Our football program can do better than that. 

It wasn’t just one thing for me but the moment I made a big mental turn was the Purdue game. The looks on their faces and their demeanor the whole game was that they already knew they were going to win that game. So much more ready and prepared. There is the laundry list of everything else we all discuss that was already boiling beneath the surface. But that game was the straw. 
The Purdue game was also the final straw for me also, although I had been inching to the the fire Archie position since last year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Talked to a friend and OSU fan this morning. He said the feeling with OSU fans is they really dodged a bullet not landing Archie.

Of course they did! OSU is ranked 4th in the country and a real shot to win a national championship. Archie will likely be in the NIT

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

For me it was his complete failure to adapt to a big time program.  He could get away with being one dimensional at Dayton.  In the Big10 you have to be good on both sides of the ball.  Crean had the problem on defense.  Archie has the same problem on offense.  

Archie’s problem this year in the B1G is defense.   Last I checked IU defensive efficiency in B1G games only was 10th out 14.    The offense was top 6 

15 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Archie’s problem this year in the B1G is defense.   Last I checked IU defensive efficiency in B1G games only was 10th out 14.    The offense was top 6 

Interesting, would never have guessed the offense was 6th. We have such a hard time scoring and it is so painful to watch

@ people that defended Archie over the years, even through much of this year, what was it that finally broke the camels back?
this isn’t meant as a gotcha at all, I’m just curious how the half that had faith in him all of a sudden lost it. His support from this crowd seems to have vanished in the last 3 weeks or so and I’m just curious why?

For me it was the Purdue game and specifically how we defended the out of bounds plays. We didn’t make one adjustment and they scored almost every time when they took it out under their own basket! I wanted Archie to succeed, I do like what he says, I like his demeanor, but at some point and time we need to see results and we just haven’t. Like others, I find it hard to watch anymore and find myself not even realizing it’s game day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing Howard have a guy like Martelli on the bench makes me really wish we had experience like that on ours. I'm not sure how often a guy with that level of head coaching experience who was well respected ends up as an assistant in the twilight of his career....likely not often at all. But assuming that the prevailing thought that Archie is here to stay for at least one more year is true, how valuable would some experience like that as an assistant be? I don't see it happening, but it's an interesting thought. Is there a guy who has that high level, well respected experience that, say....lives not too far away? Not sure. It would be kind of Thad if there were no changes at all to the staff. Then again, if there were, would it even Matta? 

(for what it's worth I have NOT been in the camp of bringing Matta in as the HC after 4 years away, but an assistant? Sign me up!)

Also, yeah I know, he wouldn't' take an assistant job. 

Archie didn’t do Romeo any favors. He utilized him horribly. Despite that and despite being hurt, he still averaged 16 ppg in conference play. 

Archie will get a chance to save his job next year, but he doesn’t deserve that chance. He’s had 4 years to save his job. Next year possibly being a good one also depends on players not transferring out. Lander especially. If I was him, I’d think quite a bit about transferring. Even more so if TJD leaves. Go find a coach that knows how to coach and utilize guards. 

Most of that SI article wasn’t new to me, but I did learn one thing. Archie has the worst recruiting class in the Big Ten coming in next year. Dead last. 14th out of 14. 78th in the country. There’s zero excuses for that, and it’s yet another reason why he shouldn’t return for next season. 

Recruiting ranking really should not be this bad since we were supposed to be a fairly decent team this year. He should be racking up recruits like Crean did for that stretch with Cody then Yogi the the movement then Blackman and Lyes. We hit that stride while we were on the upswing and things looked great. Then....

Archie got Romeo and TJD and a bunch of 4 stars. Still not bad if he could build a Nova or Virginia like program. The author does a great job pointing out though that player development is an exception not the norm.

He has 4 years to show he can recruit, develop players and coach. If we are being honest he has not performed well in any of these areas.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

The Straw for the Administration should be, not making the tournament and hosting tourney games in the Hall.  Rare opportunity missed and we get to sweep up after the better programs.

I agree with his points, basically what's being said on the board in a nicer way of course.
Would like to see more articles like this with actual potential candidates to replace him. Firing him tomorrow and hiring a no name will cost a pretty penny. Seems like a smarter investment to keep him until his buy-out is less and hire a no-name. A year isn't going to do much of a difference --- the fans are already losing hope / gone and COVID will limit our income next year anyways. 
The contenders are out there, not the candidates. 

To be fair once you start naming candidates then the press feel the need to go ask those people about IU. That would back them into an obvious corner and may make it harder to change his tune later and accept the job.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think there’s a reasonably likely scenario that’s an even more extreme version of this. Stumble into the NIT or barely the NCAAs this year...but then TJD unexpectedly comes back a la Donsunmu and IU is quite good next year as this year’s freshmen contribute more and Stewart adds some dependable backcourt scoring.

So then Arch gets an extension, Lander and TJD leave, and we’re right back where we’ve been for three years.

I've been called "negative" on here for years for saying that Archie is a terrible coach, but you sir....You're light years ahead of me.

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think there’s a reasonably likely scenario that’s an even more extreme version of this. Stumble into the NIT or barely the NCAAs this year...but then TJD unexpectedly comes back a la Donsunmu and IU is quite good next year as this year’s freshmen contribute more and Stewart adds some dependable backcourt scoring.

So then Arch gets an extension, Lander and TJD leave, and we’re right back where we’ve been for three years.

IMO it's hard to imagine this team being "quite good" unless the offense is completely overhauled, either by the head coach or by some new assistant