Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

You’re disagreeing with your reasoning being to remove the entire context of the scenario Stuhoo is presenting. Of course if we don’t make the sweet 16 or even the tourney, Stuhoo doesn’t make this exact case. And I don’t think he’s giving him a pass on the first 2 seasons. He’s making the case that the overall progression of those 4 seasons would not warrant a firing. It would be asinine to fire a coach at that point and expect to get anything but laughs in our face from legitimate candidates. Our best choice would be from scraps on top of a flaming pile of dogs***.

It’s the progression part that I am replying to. The “progression” in my opinion isn’t valid. When you suck for the first two seasons, progression is the only real direction you can go. If he did what I though he should have in seasons 1 and 2, there is no real progression at all, just consistently being very average across the board all 4 years. Consistently average isnt ammo to keep a coach 

there is no excuse for not making the NIT in his first season, none. No reason we shouldn’t have won 20 games both his first two seasons. Look at our losses and tell me all of those were ok. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

You’re disagreeing with your reasoning being to remove the entire context of the scenario Stuhoo is presenting. Of course if we don’t make the sweet 16 or even the tourney, Stuhoo doesn’t make this exact case. And I don’t think he’s giving him a pass on the first 2 seasons. He’s making the case that the overall progression of those 4 seasons would not warrant a firing. It would be asinine to fire a coach at that point and expect to get anything but laughs in our face from legitimate candidates. Our best choice would be from scraps on top of a flaming pile of dogs***.

^^What he said^^

19 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think the positive scenario “what if” stuff is within reach. However, every time IU has had such a scenario under Archie they’ve failed; that’s the inherent problem.

year 1: if they simply beat the mid-major teams they lost to, maybe also win a B1G tourney game against a bad Rutgers, they might have been at least a bubble team.

year 2: literally win one more game from the absurd stretch of losses or beating an evenly-matched OSU in the B1G tourney and you’re in.

year 3 and 4: any time they’re one win from being ranked, one win from avoiding a letdown, one win from feeling alright about the direction of the program; frustrating underperformance.

So yeah: this is a flawed team. They should be better, though, even with what’s on the roster, injuries, etc. They can salvage this season, and point to a brighter future. But we’ve been in this spot before with Miller.

And that’s to say nothing of next year. I could make a case for them, even assuming Trayce leaves, to be pretty good. But let’s at least meet expectations for a season before we assume we might exceed them.

As I was saying: a defining issue of the Miller era is an inability to win the game that might put you at ease.

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

As I was saying: a defining issue of the Miller era is an inability to win the game that might put you at ease.

No game has me at ease. I go into every game literally thinking I hope they don’t stink up the place. It’s been a long time that I sat down to watch a conference game and felt good about IU going into the game. That includes vs Nebraska and Northwestern. 

Archie Miller needs to be gone, and he needs to be gone after this season. He has done nothing in his four seasons to deserve a fifth season. Must win game after a terrible MSU team, a team that was 4-9 in the conference, and we blow it. That’s been a theme over his four seasons. 

He’ll be back next season. I have no doubt about it. But if we were a serious basketball school, he wouldn’t be. Such is life.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We can figure out our next coach later. What’s abundantly clear right now is that Archie ain’t it.

Yeah, and the hand-wringing about who’s next misses the point. There are the usual high-profile suspects we all know, @Stuhoo’s list of under-the-radar mid-major coaches, and so on...a good coach can make it work at a place with IU’s resources. There are dozens of NAIA coaches who could do it if given a chance.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie Miller needs to be gone, and he needs to be gone after this season. He has done nothing in his four seasons to deserve a fifth season. Must win game after a terrible MSU team, a team that was 4-9 in the conference, and we blow it. That’s been a theme over his four seasons. 

He’ll be back next season. I have no doubt about it. But if we were a serious basketball school, he wouldn’t be. Such is life.

Agree. It's time to move on. But like you said for whatever reason he will be back. And it will be the same crap. Below average Big Ten team that's on the bubble. 

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Yeah, and the hand-wringing about who’s next misses the point. There are the usual high-profile suspects we all know, @Stuhoo’s list of under-the-radar mid-major coaches, and so on...a good coach can make it work at a place with IU’s resources. There are dozens of NAIA coaches who could do it if given a chance.

Greg Tonagel. His IWU teams have been really good but I suspect it'd be hard to sell that to fans and even harder to sell to recruits.

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Greg Tonagel. His IWU teams have been really good but I suspect it'd be hard to sell that to fans and even harder to sell to recruits.

Yeah, actually hiring an NAIA coach doesn’t happen at a place like IU because if it fails it seems like a boneheaded move in retrospect.

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Yeah, actually hiring an NAIA coach doesn’t happen at a place like IU because if it fails it seems like a boneheaded move in retrospect.

Like if you hire Archie Miller and it fails, most folks will shrug. If, four years ago, they’d hired a successful NAIA coach and gotten identical results, it would be seen as an unnecessary risk and major failure.

Just now, Treesh said:

The fan base is already pissed. If we hire a no name then..

I can't believe I even need to clarify it, but I in no way shape or form am advocating a Tonagel hire, I'm just not convinced he wouldn't coach circles around Archie if the given equally talented teams. Spent two years at IWU playing baseball, and those basketball teams could ball

Just now, kreigh8 said:

I can't believe I even need to clarify it, but I in no way shape or form am advocating a Tonagel hire, I'm just not convinced he wouldn't coach circles around Archie if the given equally talented teams. Spent two years at IWU playing baseball, and those basketball teams could ball

There’s amazing coaches at all level and yes I get what you mean. The idea of even hiring another mid major coach would be enough to cause a riot on Kirkwood.

Scott has no easy choice unless someone says they are coming to save the day. What great coach would leave their current great program to coach a dying program? 

This won’t be good. 

Anyone here going to be happy with Steve Alford? 

Just sad that my IU days will be over if he’s hired.. 
If Steve can win at this point just tired of losing, my wife just said "this is the most I have ever seen you just turn off IU basketball in your life". Sad

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

There’s amazing coaches at all level and yes I get what you mean. The idea of even hiring another mid major coach would be enough to cause a riot on Kirkwood.

Scott has no easy choice unless someone says they are coming to save the day. What great coach would leave their current great program to coach a dying program? 

This won’t be good. 

I guess I choose to look at it differently, whether right or wrong. A coach takes this job knowing that they will be given a top flight recruiting budget, a dedicated fan base (when they are allowed in the building), and reside in a fertile region for recruits. There's plenty of coaches that would still leap at this job (mostly mid-majors to your point).

The coach that can get us over the hump and return the program to where this fan base wants to be will be treated as a god. A prospective hire, will recognize this and be up for the challenge. Maybe that's some sunshine pumping, but I for one thought the Archie hire would work, it didn't and hasn't, but I'm not deadset against hiring from that same mid-major level again. Just please for the love of god, no Alford. Just my $0.02. Hopefully next week will be better as I'm sure I'll forget about this collapse and get excited to watch the Hoosiers next week.

I think there are plenty of coaches out there who could come here and be fairly successful. Maybe we need to stop thinking our next coach has be Hall of Fame material. Just find somebody who can coach good, solid fundamental basketball and is a recruiter. If that coach comes in and has a Kelvin Sampson-like first season, I think a lot of problems will go away.