Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't remember it ever being so prevalent. As in it being such a big topic point. It's a resume builder now to have "good losses." Used to if you lost, you just threw that game out almost unless it was to a really bad team. 

Fair enough. I see your point about "good losses", and maybe it's because of the impact of NET.

But "bad wins"? For me, there is no bad win unless it's something as drastic as a one point squeaker over a D3 school, or if a key IU player gets injured. 

On the road against a B1G team? They are all wonderful wins.

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It’s more prevalent now because projecting the field is big business and it’s on every major outlet now.  Someone has a bracketologist to break them down  People were projecting the field way before if was called bracketology.  There was always good and bad losses when it came to picking the field just no one cared to know what went into picking them.   I will give Lunardi credit for making it as big as he did.  

ESPN made it huge and can't even hire a Top 50 bracketologist. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Fair enough. I see your point about "good losses", and maybe it's because of the impact of NET.

But "bad wins"? For me, there is no bad win unless it's something as drastic as a one point squeaker over a D3 school, or if a key IU player gets injured. 

On the road against a B1G team? They are all wonderful wins.

I think bad wins are more of a fan thing for sure. Like winning but looking god awful. I think fans would see Indiana beating Indiana State by 1 as a bad win. Last night was just absolutely ugly and we are lucky. Ratings take a lot of efficiency numbers into account right? So that hurts us in "bad wins." 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

ESPN made it huge and can't even hire a Top 50 bracketologist. 

Espn is loyal to The Godfather of bracketology.  Nothing more.    lunardi might not be one of the best but he will always have may gratitude for bringing it out into the open.    The fact I can express my thoughts and project my field and people read it is huge.   Along way from me projecting it and only having  a couple of close friends care about it.    

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Espn is loyal to The Godfather of bracketology.  Nothing more.    lunardi might not be one of the best but he will always have may gratitude for bringing it out into the open.    The fact I can express my thoughts and project my field and people read it is huge.   Along way from me projecting it and only having  a couple of close friends care about it.    

I used to have someone do it on my old website. It's a popular thing. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

I can’t wait for the days where people view a win for a win and it isn’t a pissing match on who out coached who.   He gets credit for this but not credit for that.    Masterful might of been a strong word to describe his coaching last night but my goodness people come on now.   We are better then this aren’t we?     Someone calling IU lucky for Northwestern fouling IU’s best players...what?   Give credit to IU players and coaches for making northwestern foul their best foul shooters.  That’s the goal at the end of the game.   The other teams tries to win these games also.   I’m guessing not 1 coach is going to apologize for winning they way IU won last night and nor should they.    Heck of a lot better coaches then Archie struggle against teams like northwestern.  I watch it every night.  

Let me say that I apologize if I contributed to needless bickering between two viewpoints. That was honestly not my intention and I regret making my original post if that's what it did.

As I said before, I didn't get to watch the game. From what I read from the news outlets and heard on post-game shows it didn't seem like it was a well-played game, so I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear that Chris said Archie's coaching was masterful and as good as it gets. It doesn't exactly jive with what I've read or what I would expect against a not-so-good NW team... but I've watched enough games to know they aren't played on paper and there are a number of nuances and adjustments made in the game that never makes the headlines or the stat sheet. It sounds like there was a fair amount of that going on last night... and that's very good to hear.

Anyway... sorry for any negative contribution. Serves me right for posting about a game I was unable to watch!

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

IU did not beat Northwestern because Archie out-coached Collins. Poor IU coaching was particularly on display during the first 5 minutes when IU failed to score. This is a chronic problem. Once again Archie failed to get the team ready to play from the start. But there were other examples of poor coaching on Archie's part. Whenever TJD was double teamed, he needed to get the ball to the open man. But repeatedly he held on to the ball or passed it to another player who was not open. Making sure a shooter is open to receive a pass from a double-teamed TJD and having TJD pass to that player is a chronic problem with IU this year.  IU was very fortunate to win Wednesday and it happened mostly because Northwestern put IU's best free-throw shooters on the line when it counted. That and an off-balanced shot by Durham that got us into overtime and another lucky shot by Durham that got us into the second overtime.

I'm not commenting on the coaching, who out coached who, etc. But this last sentence alone indicates you never had any intention of seeing any coaching positives. Off-balanced shot? He had an open runner in the lane. Lucky shot? He pump faked, dribbled right, set his feet and took an open shot at the top of the key. It was lucky b/c.....it went in? On a night he was shooting the ball well from deep? C'mon man. 

56 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Let me say that I apologize if I contributed to needless bickering between two viewpoints. That was honestly not my intention and I regret making my original post if that's what it did.

As I said before, I didn't get to watch the game. From what I read from the news outlets and heard on post-game shows it didn't seem like it was a well-played game, so I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear that Chris said Archie's coaching was masterful and as good as it gets. It doesn't exactly jive with what I've read or what I would expect against a not-so-good NW team... but I've watched enough games to know they aren't played on paper and there are a number of nuances and adjustments made in the game that never makes the headlines or the stat sheet. It sounds like there was a fair amount of that going on last night... and that's very good to hear.

Anyway... sorry for any negative contribution. Serves me right for posting about a game I was unable to watch!

No need to apologize for stating your opinion of things.  Strange times to be an IU fan right now.  My thing was Archie has has had many head scratching moments for people to trash him but in my opinion his coaching last night wasn’t even close to being one of them.   Was his coaching perfect last night?  Nope not even close but I’ve seen better coaches then him be on the wrong side of losing to a team like Northwestern.   Always love your takes and contribution to this site so please continue to give your takes.   We have had too many good posters stop posting here lately so I hope you will continue posting your thoughts 

IU was very fortunate to win Wednesday and it happened mostly because Northwestern put IU's best free-throw shooters on the line when it counted. That and an off-balanced shot by Durham that got us into overtime and another lucky shot by Durham that got us into the second overtime.

I credit Armaan and Al for a gutty late game performance and for hitting free throws. In fact, I have been a consistent supporter of Al's when others have trashed him. I credit Jerome with some great clutch shots after missing a couple of games. But to think that IU's win over Northwestern was anything but lucky is delusional. But we've been unlucky in several losses this season so it is good to see some luck shining our way for once.

Credit Al for lucky shots?

I couldn't care less what Archie did or didn't do on the sideline.  Are you willing to say that Race and Trayce pretty much slept walked through the first half?  They weren't being double teamed early and just kind of throwing it towards the goal.  This is not trashing them.  This is knowing how good they are and how good they can be, wanting them to be consistently at that level in order for IU to win and see their dreams of playing at the next level fulfilled. 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

No need to apologize for stating your opinion of things.  Strange times to be an IU fan right now.  My thing was Archie has has had many head scratching moments for people to trash him but in my opinion his coaching last night wasn’t even close to being one of them.   Was his coaching perfect last night?  Nope not even close but I’ve seen better coaches then him be on the wrong side of losing to a team like Northwestern.   Always love your takes and contribution to this site so please continue to give your takes.   We have had too many good posters stop posting here lately so I hope you will continue posting your thoughts 

Big +1!

Also, I think all of the posters have two common goals:

1. For IU to succeed and
  2. For this board to have a vigorous, respectful discussion.

We all need to be a little aware that purposely incendiary or condescending posting is detrimental to the continued pursuit and interest in those common goals. None of us are perfect in that regard, but a little self-awareness reminder now and then is helpful.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Like in many other areas, ESPN could do a lot better but they choose not to be.  I feel pretty confident in saying Lunardi could be better predicting the field and seeding.  I don't think he could be better and remain on ESPN.  If that makes sense. 

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

@ALASKA HOOSIER he's not talking about you in that group of good posters having stopped posting lately.  Get bent up in the great white north.

So either Alaska:

1. Is a good poster, but he's still posting,
  2. Is a terrible poster, but at least he's stopped posting
  3. Is a terrible poster, and he's still posting.

Edit--a little research shows that Alaska is still posting, so ignore option 2) So, which is it...option 1) or option 3)?

Likely not the place for this question/post, but is anyone aware if NCAA or any site tracks Division 1 fast break points per game. I haven't been able to find anything at all on it and all I've found is the NBA stats. Been itching to know where we stack up. We play at a slower pace than say Gonzaga, but would love to know where we land in that stat.

Edit: While there are plenty of issues and I fully realize this wouldn't instantly make us a top 10 team, I just can't help but wonder why we don't look for it. With how bad we can shoot it at times I'm baffled we don't look for it outside of maybe Lander

1987 Indiana Hoosiers 

Beat 7-21 Northwestern by 52.  14-17 Wisconsin by 38 & 9-19 Minnesota by 24 

Followed by 2nd games all 3 in a row 

Win at Northwestern by 2
At Wisconsin by 1 in 3 OT
Minnesota by 2. 

Twitter would have gone nuts. Soon after IU loses 2 in a row

B Tonsoni 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

1987 Indiana Hoosiers 

Beat 7-21 Northwestern by 52.  14-17 Wisconsin by 38 & 9-19 Minnesota by 24 

Followed by 2nd games all 3 in a row 

Win at Northwestern by 2
At Wisconsin by 1 in 3 OT
Minnesota by 2. 

Twitter would have gone nuts. Soon after IU loses 2 in a row

B Tonsoni 

LOL! I dont think younger Hoosier fans realize we used to never lose to NW and Wisconsin (yes Wisconsin) and rarely lost to Minny. I think we beat Wisconsin roughly 30 straight games and and only lost to NW 3-4 times in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

37 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Chris Collins is the 2nd coach in Big Ten history to have a 10-game losing streak in 3 straight seasons.

The other was Nelson Norgren, in 1934-35, 35-36, 36-37 at University of Chicago. @CBB_Central

Yeah...Nelson Norgren really sucked.