Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

I’m not sure about turning up the heat down the stretch.
Last year we went 1-3 in our last 4 conference games.
From 2/1 forward we were 4-6 in conference (plus lost the last two games in January).
Hopefully that’s not our new definition of a “run”.
EDIT: and two years ago, from today’s date 1/25 and going forward, we were 5-7 in conference (and lost all 5 games previous to that). On the positive side we did win the last 4 in a row but then inexplicably slept-walked through the OSU BTT game which was widely considered to be a play-in game for the NCAA tourney. I hope we turn it up down the stretch this year but don’t think the previous years are proof that will happen. We will see.

Thanks for looking this up. I was skeptical but did not have data to confirm my doubts though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Why out of curiosity do you say that? Has he developed a jumper in 2 years under this staff? If he hasn't done that by now why would it all of a sudden change? And that is what most think is the reason his stock isn't high. I'd argue he'd be better served going to the G-League and being developed there. The really isn't much he can do outside of that to increase his value.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

He has plenty of time to develop a shot. College isn’t stopping him from developing that part of his game. It’s the time willing to put in. He comes from a family of wealth already. He doesn’t need the money or to support his family. He can get his degree, likely on a top conference team and then go pro. 

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

He has plenty of time to develop a shot. College isn’t stopping him from developing that part of his game. It’s the time willing to put in. He comes from a family of wealth already. He doesn’t need the money or to support his family. He can get his degree, likely on a top conference team and then go pro. 

Yup...we have shooting machines at Cook. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

If TJD can't be left alone from 18 feet he's a completely different player (and we are a completely different team). 

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

TJD may not care if he is a first round pick or not. However, he is projected to be a late 2nd round pick or not drafted at all. No guarantee money in that case. He’d be best served coming back. 

I wonder if he cares all that much about the money. Given his dad's NBA career, he is probably getting good advice. I tend to think it will come down to whether he sees any benefit to staying in college another year. He can always take his chances on the NBA and, if it doesn't work out, have a long career overseas. Based on how this season is going, it's hard for me to imagine that he wants to come back next year. 

10 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I wonder if he cares all that much about the money. Given his dad's NBA career, he is probably getting good advice. I tend to think it will come down to whether he sees any benefit to staying in college another year. He can always take his chances on the NBA and, if it doesn't work out, have a long career overseas. Based on how this season is going, it's hard for me to imagine that he wants to come back next year. 

And the best way for him to get unlimited hours in the gym to work on developing a jumper is by being in the NBA.

The problem is the G League is not necessarily the best way to get that development--winter bus rides from Iowa to Ohio for a Tuesday night game with a stay at the Days Inn can really screw with motivation to shoot 500 shots that same day. 

So, the question becomes; can he stick at the back of an NBA bench so that he can get those high end developmental opportunities?

20 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Cant think he comes back unless Covid plays a role. Its hard to predict what a guy will do in the NBA but like you said you can have a long career overseas. I dont  think many on this board thought Thomas Bryant would be a starting center in the NBA in 2021.

And the best way for him to get unlimited hours in the gym to work on developing a jumper is by being in the NBA.
The problem is the G League is not necessarily the best way to get that development--winter bus rides from Iowa to Ohio for a Tuesday night game with a stay at the Days Inn can really screw with motivation to shoot 500 shots that same day. 
So, the question becomes; can he stick at the back of an NBA bench so that he can get those high end developmental opportunities?

G-League teams are now funded by NBA franchises aren't they? I mean are they seriously taking greyhounds, eating at Wendy's and staying at budget motels? I find that hard to believe but I really have no clue

24 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

G-League teams are now funded by NBA franchises aren't they? I mean are they seriously taking greyhounds, eating at Wendy's and staying at budget motels? I find that hard to believe but I really have no clue

Those small city 150 mile trips are likely a bus ride instead of an NBA style chartered jet. Also, probably not Days Inn, I’m thinking Marriott courtyard.

It’s still Canton Ohio and Dubuque Iowa on a Tuesday night, it doesn’t get Miami or New York City level no matter how you slice it.

I’m thinking Marriott courtyard.
I’m thinking Marriott courtyard.
It’s still Canton Ohio and Dubuque Iowa on a Tuesday night, it doesn’t get Miami or New York City level no matter how you slice it.
That's a fair point. Maybe at least 5 Guys over Wendy's

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

With the landscape what it now is, I wouldn't be all  that surprised to see him transfer to another school.  I think he'd take that option vs. overseas if the NBA wasn't a certainty.  And what message would that send about our current coach?

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With the landscape what it now is, I wouldn't be all  that surprised to see him transfer to another school.  I think he'd take that option vs. overseas if the NBA wasn't a certainty.  And what message would that send about our current coach?

If that happened? It would send the worst message humanly possible.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IF the NCAA allows kids to play immediately next year after a transfer AND rumors that Archie is not connecting with the kids he recruits then Dolson may have to act early.  A lot of IFs there I know but it is certainly a possibility. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup...we have shooting machines at Cook. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

If TJD can't be left alone from 18 feet he's a completely different player (and we are a completely different team). 

It kind of reminds me of Morgan. I was certain he would come back as a senior with the 3 point shot as a weapon but he really did not. As a junior he averaged 1.7 attempts a game and only moved that up to 2.5 as a senior and his % dropped from 30% to 29%. 

so now we have TJD who really looks to have no interest in that shot. Granted as the center he is down low more but still it makes me wonder if PF or centers taking 3s is a no no in Archies offense 

34 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

It kind of reminds me of Morgan. I was certain he would come back as a senior with the 3 point shot as a weapon but he really did not. As a junior he averaged 1.7 attempts a game and only moved that up to 2.5 as a senior and his % dropped from 30% to 29%. 

so now we have TJD who really looks to have no interest in that shot. Granted as the center he is down low more but still it makes me wonder if PF or centers taking 3s is a no no in Archies offense 

Race shoots 3s -- not many, but he'll pop 'em from time to titime.

Archie is all for TJD expanding his game. It's a wonder why off some many different pick and roll situations he almost never shoots it. Now, most times he doesn't even look at the basket, and defenses have noticed. 

41 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Race shoots 3s -- not many, but he'll pop 'em from time to titime.

Archie is all for TJD expanding his game. It's a wonder why off some many different pick and roll situations he almost never shoots it. Now, most times he doesn't even look at the basket, and defenses have noticed. 

Well any time he even shoots a 17 footer, it looks absolutely awful and he looks beyond scared to have even shot it. 

TJD is no where near ready for the league. He already has major red flags, probably the most significant red flag is his energy / motivation level from game to game. Scouts have for sure caught on that he tends to be inconsistent with his motivation on both ends of the floor. 

He can't shoot. To be in the NBA these days you need to be able to shoot at least something outside of 15 feet. Look at Thomas Bryant, he could shoot a little at IU. He was a little more mobile than TJD and a little better NBA length. Now Thomas Bryant is a starting center for the Wizards (prior to his ACL injury). Same can be said for Juwan Morgan. He could shoot a little in college and hell he's undersized as hell, but he makes the hustle plays and can easy switch onto guards in the league. TJD can't even guard guards in the B1G so..

Going to the GLeague would be a mistake for him as he'd be overseas in no time. Transferring would be a mistake. At the bare minimum he has to improve his shooting, his right hand, and be able to handle guards laterally. 

5 hours ago, Treesh said:

TJD is no where near ready for the league. He already has major red flags, probably the most significant red flag is his energy / motivation level from game to game. Scouts have for sure caught on that he tends to be inconsistent with his motivation on both ends of the floor. 

He can't shoot. To be in the NBA these days you need to be able to shoot at least something outside of 15 feet. Look at Thomas Bryant, he could shoot a little at IU. He was a little more mobile than TJD and a little better NBA length. Now Thomas Bryant is a starting center for the Wizards (prior to his ACL injury). Same can be said for Juwan Morgan. He could shoot a little in college and hell he's undersized as hell, but he makes the hustle plays and can easy switch onto guards in the league. TJD can't even guard guards in the B1G so..

Going to the GLeague would be a mistake for him as he'd be overseas in no time. Transferring would be a mistake. At the bare minimum he has to improve his shooting, his right hand, and be able to handle guards laterally. 

I don't know of one player that's developed under Archie, so maybe transferring to a coach with a good history of development wouldn't be a bad idea. 

42 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I don't know of one player that's developed under Archie, so maybe transferring to a coach with a good history of development wouldn't be a bad idea. 

I'd argue Race and Thompson have made strides from last year. I'd also argue our freshman look to be improving slightly, especially Leal.