Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

26 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

I agree with this to a large extent.  They have been building to contend for a title for quite some time at this point but are yet to reach an NBA Finals.  As LCS listed, there is a lot of talent on that roster and they have had a ton of draft capital for a team that successful.  I could see the Celtics and Stevens eventually parting ways if they don't get over the hump, however Stevens would immediately be the #1 candidate for probably all other NBA jobs open that offseason.  I think whether or not he ever falls back to the college game would depend on what those openings were.  I've always felt the fact it was a top-tier organization like the Boston Celtics that offered him was the reason he made the move to the NBA, and that if it was the Sacramento Kings or someone like that who called instead he would have stayed with Butler.

Also, I think the "Stevens hated recruiting" notion, while probably true, may not be such a prohibiting factor.  It sounds like in a lot of cases assistants do most of the work in recruiting, and as @Magisterium alluded to upthread, recruiting for Stevens now at a blue blood would be a lot different than recruiting for him was at Butler 10-12 years ago.  Brad Stevens at Duke, UNC, or even Indiana would sell itself to most kids up to and including 5-stars.  

I'm in no way saying I expect to see Brad at Indiana or any college team anytime soon, I just think that is the pathway to it happening if it ever does.

Brad Stevens seems like a very intelligent man. He went to the NBA because he thought it would be a better situation for him and his family. If the NBA doesn't work out, I can see him moving on to some other profession rather than returning to coaching in college. I really think it's delusional to continue thinking that he might ever coach at IU. The same for Donavan. To me it's like college coaches going back to the high school level. Our best path forward is a hungry coach looking to move up. I see no reason why a successful coach at another high level D-1 school would want to come here unless the raise in pay was too good to pass up. And I don't see IU making that offer. We might be the most delusional fan base in the country. We were a blue blood for a long time. We haven't been since for a long time. If we want that status again, we're going to have to earn it on the court. Only this old man's opinion.

41 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

What talent is this new coach going to be starting with?

Which is an interesting point. What talent is Archie going to win with. Seems as if the talent on the team is likely at a peak right now or on the downside. When you look ahead to next years class it is nothing to get overly excited about. 

Further, if we are in the bottom third of the BT now, will a rebuild look much different?  

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There's a future. Just have to be healthy. 

Kemba

Smart

Brown

Tatum

Thompson

Teague

Williams

Theis

Ojeleye

They just need their young guys to come along. Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford. 

I can’t agree that the Celtics have a future. Romeo is still recovering from his surgery but has shown flashes of being a great defender in the league. PP is okay. Everyone else, Semi, Teague, Thompson, are basically non factors. Kemba is washed. 

Brown and Tatum are the only players. They will not be competing for a finals anytime soon. Brad will of course have other options once they part ways. We need to at least make the call. 

18 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I can’t agree that the Celtics have a future. Romeo is still recovering from his surgery but has shown flashes of being a great defender in the league. PP is okay. Everyone else, Semi, Teague, Thompson, are basically non factors. Kemba is washed. 

Brown and Tatum are the only players. They will not be competing for a finals anytime soon. Brad will of course have other options once they part ways. We need to at least make the call. 

I agree. With all those draft picks they needed one to become one of the elite players in the league. Tatum is close but not in that top 5 ish players range. I think they missed their window 

30 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I agree. With all those draft picks they needed one to become one of the elite players in the league. Tatum is close but not in that top 5 ish players range. I think they missed their window 

Tatum is a top 10 player and is 22. How have they missed the window?

It's an absolute Archie Miller excuse that it is always a rebuild when changing coaches.  I'm so tired of the excuses for his failures
I agree. Im kinda fed up with rebuild. Crean was here 9 years, then we have to rebuild? Then again after every coach?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

This is certainly a take. 

They went 48-24 last year and made the conference finals. They’re first in the East right now. Their best player is 22 years old. Their second best player, who’s averaging 26 ppg on 63% TS this year, is 24 years old. If they’re not going to be competing for a finals then almost no one in the NBA will be. 

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Tatum is a top 10 player and is 22. How have they missed the window?

Don’t think they will be bad by any means and would not be surprised if they win some eastern conference championships.  but I don’t think they will win an NBA title without a top 5 guy. Tatum could keep improving and move up or they could be like Dallas when they won in 2011 and I would be wrong. It seems like titles go to teams with top 5 guys combined with other top 10-20 players 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Don’t think they will be bad by any means and would not be surprised if they win some eastern conference championships.  but I don’t think they will win an NBA title without a top 5 guy. Tatum could keep improving and move up or they could be like Dallas when they won in 2011 and I would be wrong. It seems like titles go to teams with top 5 guys combined with other top 10-20 players 

If you wouldn't be surprised if they would win some Eastern conference championships, they you shouldn't be surprised if they win a title or two.  Not sure how 'their window is closing'.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They have been "building" for a long time but haven't actually. They are finally getting rewarded for making the Nets look like idiots. Right now Brown is 24 and Tatum is 22. Ainge knows to build a roster around those two and always will. Because that's just what he has been successful doing. The only way Stevens is leaving is either dying or quitting. 

The deal with the Nets definitely got it going, but in totality the Celtics have had the rights to someone else's lottery pick in every draft from 2016 - 2020 plus their own from 2014, so parts of their current core date back almost 5 years already or almost 7 in the case of Smart.  And max contracts totaling $382M were committed throughout those years to Hayward, Horford, and Walker plus the trade for Kyrie.  That's a heavy utilization of resources and I'm sure the Celtics' are aiming at a title with that kind of investment.  My only point as it  pertains to the title of this thread is that I don't think Stevens would ever step away on his own accord but I could see the Celtics possibly wanting to try to clear the hurdle with someone else if they continue to not advance beyond the ECF or fall short of that round.  What Stevens did next in that hypothetical scenario is anyone's guess.  

7 hours ago, craigyv88 said:

The deal with the Nets definitely got it going, but in totality the Celtics have had the rights to someone else's lottery pick in every draft from 2016 - 2020 plus their own from 2014, so parts of their current core date back almost 5 years already or almost 7 in the case of Smart.  And max contracts totaling $382M were committed throughout those years to Hayward, Horford, and Walker plus the trade for Kyrie.  That's a heavy utilization of resources and I'm sure the Celtics' are aiming at a title with that kind of investment.  My only point as it  pertains to the title of this thread is that I don't think Stevens would ever step away on his own accord but I could see the Celtics possibly wanting to try to clear the hurdle with someone else if they continue to not advance beyond the ECF or fall short of that round.  What Stevens did next in that hypothetical scenario is anyone's guess.  

The Celtics don't just move on. They moved on from Rivers after trading everyone and basically wanted to start the new era. 

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Thad Matta. Definitely not the sexiest possibility, but I think he’d bring back consistent winning to the program. 

At Ohio State in 14 seasons: 2 Final Fours (1 Runner-Up), 2 Elite Eights. 5 Big Ten regular season titles, 4 Big Ten tournament titles. Another Elite Eight at Xavier.

I know his last few seasons were pretty meh, but if he could return to mid 2000s form...

Of course, who knows where his health stands. I’m sure being the HC of Indiana wouldn’t help.

He could really recruit at a football school... I wonder if he could pull the same weight and then some at Indiana? 

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The Celtics don't just move on. They moved on from Rivers after trading everyone and basically wanted to start the new era. 

I agree on Rivers as that was definitely the end of an era and Ainge seems pretty committed to Stevens so I give credit to your point.  I just don't think that Stevens as Celtics HC is necessarily a permanent thing if they continue to fall in the ECF or earlier. And it's interesting to speculate on what may happen if he ever isn't coaching the Celtics.  I can understand if you or others see that situation differently.

Also, holding steady when you know you have the wrong guy is never a good move. This is a business and in business you have to make the right call. You spend money to make money. Go get someone with some personality and can win. That will put butts in the seats when the pandemic is over. 

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

The more I think about it the more I think Dolson needs to make a move this off-season. The recruiting class for next year is 1 player and a transfer. If we wait another season and the struggling continues, then we make a change. That’s going to be back to back classes with subpar recruiting. That puts the next coach at a talent deficit. Making a move this spring, go find the money, gives the new coach the best set up for stability and talent. We likely lose TJD either way. But the new coach walks into a group of alpha and juniors to build around. Waiting another year and then you have players like Franklin who could graduate early and leave. This off-season is the best time for a change to have the least amount of holes. 

Agree.

36 minutes ago, hper50 said:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Thad Matta. Definitely not the sexiest possibility, but I think he’d bring back consistent winning to the program. 

At Ohio State in 14 seasons: 2 Final Fours (1 Runner-Up), 2 Elite Eights. 5 Big Ten regular season titles, 4 Big Ten tournament titles. Another Elite Eight at Xavier.

I know his last few seasons were pretty meh, but if he could return to mid 2000s form...

Of course, who knows where his health stands. I’m sure being the HC of Indiana wouldn’t help.

He could really recruit at a football school... I wonder if he could pull the same weight and then some at Indiana? 

I take a healthy Matta in a heartbeat.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

I take a healthy Matta in a heartbeat.

Absolutely. But is he healthy is the question. If he isn’t Dolson will need other candidates. Which means to me.... an IU guy. Though I’m starting to believe that it’s worth a try with the correct setup. Someone that has some sweat equity might be what’s needed to right the ship.