Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

I'm not exactly sold on Beard yet. I like that he's younger, he has experience at the final four which is nice, and he tends to win at each level that he's been at. But a couple things intrigue me.

3) The Rebuild. Let's be honest, there has to be a rebuild. Beard can't come in tomorrow and build a whole new system with new players. We're looking outside of the tournament for this year and potentially next year. Can Indiana fans wait another five years without the tourney potentially? Look how long it's taken Shaka Smart at Texas to "win". FIVE YEARS! And he was a NEW* name.

I WANT TO SEE what Chris Beard does this season and next season which is the perfect timeline considering the decision Dolson has to make March 2022. Archie isn't going anywhere this season or in the off-season. Let's see what Chris can do these next two seasons!

I have no idea if Beard would work out, if he would be interested, if he is “the guy” etc but in regards to a 5 year rebuild.  His first three years at TT which is not exactly a basketball brand name that has highly recruited players flocking to...

6-12 7th in conference

11-7 2nd in conference . Elite 8

14-4 1st in conference . Championship Game

In his first 3 years he had a better run than we have had in over 20 years....At TT!

Agree with your sentiment that it will be interesting to see how he does this year.

11 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I have no idea if Beard would work out, if he would be interested, if he is “the guy” etc but in regards to a 5 year rebuild.  His first three years at TT which is not exactly a basketball brand name that has highly recruited players flocking to...

6-12 7th in conference

In his first 3 years he had a better run than we have had in over 20 years....At TT!

Agree with your sentiment that it will be interesting to see how he does this year.

Interesting.. 

I'll be sure to keep an eye on them. Didn't they just beat Texas..? 

23 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

6-12 7th in conference

I have been really impressed with Beard’s development of players. That TT team that went to the Championship and lost to Virginia had like 2, 4-star recruits on it. Everyone else was lower ranked than that. So mostly 3 stars. Culver was the lowest rated 3-star in his class at TT, and he just developed so well. In 2 years he went from that to a lottery pick. I don’t know that Beard is the guy developing his players, he may have a really good support staff, but it sure seems like his kids get better, and that’s the biggest thing in question to me about Archie. I want to like him, but year in and year out, it doesn’t seem like are kids are improving enough. 

1 hour ago, KTBEME10 said:

If Dakich is right, and that’s a big if. I’m new to the Forum, and a young IU fan. I don’t hold a grudge against anyone, but Dakich is one of my least favorite people. I think he makes brash statements just for attention. Especially when I listen to his radio show. Again I don’t hate the guy but I just take everything he says with a grain of salt. And he could be right. I’m not sure.

With a post like that from a new poster, you've quickly become a favorite of mine

I know my opinion doesn't mean a thing, but to me, it's going to have to be someone that still runs a clean(-er) program. I know that there is grey area, but I don't want to be associated with the ramifications of dirty play. I know some are totally fine with the pay for play, but personally, I prefer to keep it compliant. 

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Get past this “multiple final fours/Mark Few/Brad Stevens/geriatrics with no experience/70 year old John ‘players are thugs’ Belien” complete nonsense.

For real?

Darian Devries

Casey Alexander

Dane Fife

I truly don't understand the Dane Fife crowd. And before I get blasted, I'm an IU grad and could care freaking less if we get an IU guy or not. 

I want a coach that will win. While Few, Stevens, and Billy D are absolute pipe dreams - who gives a damn how old Beilein is and what he's said. He wins and wins in March. I'd take Kelvin Sampson back in a heartbeat too. Look at the coaches that win big and do it consistently - not ONE of them is clean. 

THAT is the reality. If we want to be what a lot on this board still think we are (a Blue Blood), that's what we need. Who cares how they do it. 

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Not a Buckner fan? For some reason I thought he was one who had talked with Brad before

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I mean I'm sure he does a great job. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get Stevens here. Everything should be on the line. 

Besides the HPER, Wells Library, and the name of Indiana University. Maybe we change Kirkwood Ave to Brad Stevens Ave? 

1 hour ago, KTBEME10 said:

If Dakich is right, and that’s a big if. I’m new to the Forum, and a young IU fan. I don’t hold a grudge against anyone, but Dakich is one of my least favorite people. I think he makes brash statements just for attention. Especially when I listen to his radio show. Again I don’t hate the guy but I just take everything he says with a grain of salt. And he could be right. I’m not sure.

I believe Dakich's assertion is correct in that IU wanted de-emphasize the basketball program so that it would not overshadow the university. There have been a number of stories, articles and books over the last 20 years that have chronicled the end of the Bob Knight era that have pointed to this assertion. I believe Myles Brand (IU's president at the time) was even quoted saying as much. Coach Knight had so much success at IU that allowed him to do pretty much whatever he desired. When IU was winning and the headlines were positive this was okay. But when the wins were fewer and the controversies were more frequent it was apparent the university didn't want such negative attention, especially over non-academic endeavors. Thus, they wanted to "de-emphasize" Indiana Basketball so that IU's academics and research would be the focus of the public when they thought about IU. How that has fared for IU is debated to this day.

Of course, this was 20 years ago and most of the administrators have since moved on. Is it different now? I don't know. But I believe it was like this for sure in 2000.

Dakich is most certainly brash and he clearly enjoys attention. But I have no doubts that he's correct in that IU (at least 20 years ago) chose to de-emphasize basketball and hiring big-name coaches. It's clear they wouldn't want someone who could have so much power that Bob Knight possessed. The thing is... I don't believe there's a coach out there who EVEN COULD command as much attention as Knight did. So the point is moot as far as I am concerned.

It’s an athletic compliance issue. IU is one of the hardest schools to coach at and recruit at. So it’ll have to be someone who is “clean” or mostly clean. I also 100% believe that Brad Stevens is absolutely in play and it won’t take paying him $10 million either.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Beard is the home run hire in every regard I feel. I’m also part of the group that frankly doesn’t care much if a coach is bending the rules a bit (Pearl, Calipari, etc) since all the top programs are. Going to be nearly impossible to bring in a coach who’s willing to play by the rules, come to IU, and find success. That guy is not out there. I also frankly don’t care much if a Coach has Indiana ties or recruits the state well. Just win f****** games. Players could be from California, NY, Indiana I do not care. Just win.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

17 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I believe Dakich's assertion is correct in that IU wanted de-emphasize the basketball program so that it would not overshadow the university. There have been a number of stories, articles and books over the last 20 years that have chronicled the end of the Bob Knight era that have pointed to this assertion. I believe Myles Brand (IU's president at the time) was even quoted saying as much. Coach Knight had so much success at IU that allowed him to do pretty much whatever he desired. When IU was winning and the headlines were positive this was okay. But when the wins were fewer and the controversies were more frequent it was apparent the university didn't want such negative attention, especially over non-academic endeavors. Thus, they wanted to "de-emphasize" Indiana Basketball so that IU's academics and research would be the focus of the public when they thought about IU. How that has fared for IU is debated to this day.

Of course, this was 20 years ago and most of the administrators have since moved on. Is it different now? I don't know. But I believe it was like this for sure in 2000.

Dakich is most certainly brash and he clearly enjoys attention. But I have no doubts that he's correct in that IU (at least 20 years ago) chose to de-emphasize basketball and hiring big-name coaches. It's clear they wouldn't want someone who could have so much power that Bob Knight possessed. The thing is... I don't believe there's a coach out there who EVEN COULD command as much attention as Knight did. So the point is moot as far as I am concerned.

Good to know. You are probably right. I only catch the early 2000 stuff from others so it’s difficult to get an honest outlook. That’s what I came here for. The thing to me is, if IU is hiring down on purpose, it just seems very irrational to me. They spend so much on facilities, recruiting, marketing and just try to show they are a blue blood, that if they aren’t hiring well on purpose that seems crazy. Post Knight is Davis, Sampson, Dakich, Crean, and Archie. Davis was the recruiter so he probably had a good case from the players and for himself for his hire. Sampson wasn’t a huge name but was someone on the rise IMO. Sanctions or not the dude coached well before IU and has post IU too. Jockitch doesn’t count. Crean I think was the only person with enough guts to take the job after the recruiting sanctions, and Archie was bound to get a big job after his success at Dayton. He was the guy on the rise to most. I don’t think the coaches have been terrible hires, I just don’t think the chips always fall into the right places when needed. But now, now is the time for the great hire to happen. It is so very needed.

Is there a realistic scenario where Archie is fired after this season? I don't think so. 

I do care about how IU wins (style, culture, etc) BUT that is secondary to winning. I would not be ok with ACC/SEC level of cheating taint, but a more aggressive approach is ok with me. I don't believe that Matt Painter cheats, but he has done reasonably well. What does PU offer that IU doesn't? Ugly girls with VD? C'mon.