Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Somebody has to be in the Top 10 even in a down year. Neither Gonzaga nor Duke were as good as they normally are last season. Duke was solidly in bubble territory mid way through the conference season. They were also a better team at the end of the season than when Purdue beat them. Gonzaga improved as well. 

Purdue's biggest problem wasn't that their guards were freshman it was that their guards are extremely limited. That won't change this season. Their second biggest problem was that Edey was never going to get away with the BS in the tournament that he got away with during the conference and pre-conference seasons. They're a one trick pony whose one trick can easily be mitigated by officials. That hasn't changed either. If Purdue ends the season in the top 5, that says more about the season than it does about Purdue. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Purdue "pissed off" scares me less than the 100 farts I've had this morning. 

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

catch lightning in a bottom twice.

Btownqb wishes he could only catch lightning bottom twice. 

36 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

So do we have a legitimate shot at Antonio Reeves from Kentucky?

I am guessing that depends on how much NIL money we have to offer. Right now, the greatest ability is availability. Shakespeare got to get paid, son.

18 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It's getting harder and harder to say that the Purdue loss last year was a fluke after continual losses to poorly seeded teams, though.  As long as Edey is there, Purdue will put up a good record.  But as long as they remain as unathletic as they are, teams are going to exploit that in the tourney.  They didn't fix that issue.

Exactly!  They will have major matchup problems with smaller teams and Edey will get his points but athletic and quicker teams will exploit Edey and company.  I think we could be one of those teams.  The Purdue style of basketball is going away like the dinosaurs did probably sooner than later 

2 hours ago, mike vannice said:

So do we have a legitimate shot at Antonio Reeves from Kentucky?

How accurate is message board and twitter speculation...idk but it sounds like he's 50/50 on going back to UK. If he does enter the portal, sounds like us along with Illinois and Memphis have a shot. IMO he fits perfect here. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

How accurate is message board and twitter speculation...idk but it sounds like he's 50/50 on going back to UK. If he does enter the portal, sounds like us along with Illinois and Memphis have a shot. IMO he fits perfect here. 

Personally, it would be a minor shock to me if he chose Illinois after both Shannon and Hawkins decided to return.

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!  They will have major matchup problems with smaller teams and Edey will get his points but athletic and quicker teams will exploit Edey and company.  I think we could be one of those teams.  The Purdue style of basketball is going away like the dinosaurs did probably sooner than later 

It’s not a fluke. They play a slow deliberate style prone to upsets. So does Virginia. They get upset a lot. And won a championship. 

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Personally, it would be a minor shock to me if he chose Illinois after both Shannon and Hawkins decided to return.

Jeremiah Williams also committed to Illinois today which fills their 13th scholarship.  He's a point guard who played at Temple in 20-21 and 21-22 before transferring to Iowa State last year but missed the season with an Achille's injury.  Williams is a pass first point guard -- in two years at Temple averaged 32 minutes/game, 9.4 points, 4.2 assists, and 3.5 rebounds.  Not a good shooter, made only 23 of 86 threes in two seasons.

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Jeremiah Williams also committed to Illinois today which fills their 13th scholarship.  He's a point guard who played at Temple in 20-21 and 21-22 before transferring to Iowa State last year but missed the season with an Achille's injury.  Williams is a pass first point guard -- in two years at Temple averaged 32 minutes/game, 9.4 points, 4.2 assists, and 3.5 rebounds.  Not a good shooter, made only 23 of 86 threes in two seasons.

He also needs a waiver too since he is a 2-time transfer

18 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

FAU may be in the top five....but they really aren't top five regardless of the final four run.  It's going to be really difficult to catch lightning in a bottom twice.  Heck, if Memphis hadn't turned the ball over with 5 seconds left FAU wouldn't have made it out of the first round.  That's not meant to take anything away from the great job Dusty May did, just they are ripe for regression.

I think they'd be Top 25 no matter what. But that run helps. And it's normal for that to happen in the polls. Just depends which way a team goes...

12/13- Louisville starts out top 5 after a Final Four run and wins the title

13/14- Wichita State goes on a Final Four run in 2013(losing to UofL), started out 16, finished 35-1

22/23- UNC... Well yea.

Either way it happens in all forms. Indiana got the benefit of it by being ranked #1 in 2012-2013 to begin the year. All about seeing the potential of the team and you're right, sometimes it doesn't materialize.

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He also needs a waiver too since he is a 2-time transfer

Unless he's a grad.  Not sure -- he played two years at Temple and last year sat at due to injury, so if he did graduate in three years he wouldn't need the waiver.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think they'd be Top 25 no matter what. But that run helps. And it's normal for that to happen in the polls. Just depends which way a team goes...

12/13- Louisville starts out top 5 after a Final Four run and wins the title

13/14- Wichita State goes on a Final Four run in 2013(losing to UofL), started out 16, finished 35-1

22/23- UNC... Well yea.

Either way it happens in all forms. Indiana got the benefit of it by being ranked #1 in 2012-2013 to begin the year. All about seeing the potential of the team and you're right, sometimes it doesn't materialize.

I don't disagree that they would start top 5 next year.  Was just saying they really aren't a top five team regardless of ranking.  It's hard to overachieve two years in a row.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Unless he's a grad.  Not sure -- he played two years at Temple and last year sat at due to injury, so if he did graduate in three years he wouldn't need the waiver.

Read somewhere he needs one and Illinois fans are not too happy about it